World Crisis? Recession? Depression? Have -You- Been Effected?

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
i worked as an independent contracter for a roofing company until about may of this year. most of the job involved driving to towns that had been hit by hail & wind damage, then working with homeowners to make sure they got everything that their insurance company owed them. gas prices hurt me pretty bad, plus i talked to many people who weren't doing anything with their homes due to foreclosures. many of the people who were keeping their homes still didn't want to spend the insurance money on repairs.

now i'm working a few jobs, paying my bills, & tucking a little bit away in savings, but i'm pretty far from middle class. i hope to go to graduate school next year to study philosophy but i'm worried about the cost.

jf

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Good luck, m., and I hope you do get to go back to grad school and do that doctorate in geophysics. A terrific field—astonishing how much we still don't know about old Terra, eh? :)

Here's the thing. All of this economic malfesance is really putting a crimp on our ability to stay competitive in the future. The field that I am interested in is remote sensing. This technology is going to be wholley responsible for keeping the wheels on our country in the future. As we mine out sources of resources on land, the only place left on Earth that we are going to be able to go is the ocean. We need to know what is down there. I know that I could contribute, but the people I need to work with aren't taking on any new people right now. The funding is drying up.

I'm not trying to make an argument for this peice of the pie over another. I realize that everyone has to put food on the table somehow. My point is that the unintended (or unimagined) consequences of this "crisis" are profound. Cutbacks in science are setbacks to civilization as a whole.

This could have been prevented with sound money based on real value and good regulation.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Think there's room in your school for an experienced Teacher-Librarian who will soon have completed all the coursework to apply for VP? It's starting to get cold, and the idea of being an educator on the island has a certain appeal.

Probably. The demand for teachers out here is intense. Be aware that the cost of living is high and that you'll have to make adjustments in your expectations, but once you get that down, the rest is paradise.

Check this website.

http://doe.k12.hi.us/personnel/teachinginhawaii.htm

Aloha

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
one more thing: i went to a VFW pancake feed this morning, & it was $6 instead of $5, & they were not serving milk.

jf