Working with Kids

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rob_Broad

I can feel my head swelling as I read your comment.

You should see my training facility of the future. A larger wheel like you see in a hamster cage for a child or two to run on to generate electricty. Gets them in shape, and helps keep the costs down as well. It will have velcro walls and the backs of their uniforms will be be velcro as well, when a child acts up, BAM! stick them to the wall. And the best part is the parents will be in a sound proof room so they can't disturb the class.

Man I can't wait for the future!

I am on bended knee. I bow before you!!:asian:
Don't look upon me, I'm not worthy

When I grow up, I wanna be just like Rob:rofl:

--Dave

OP
E

Eraser

*Eraser... takes out fishing line.. and reels Rob in from floating in the air.. brings his a** back down to earth...* LOL...

WoW.. D.Cobb.. those are some nice things to say to someone.. lol....
So RoB.. how much are you paying him???????????????

OP
L

lifewise

I have witnessed this first hand.

Want children to pay attention, want them to be under control, ask Gou to attend the class with them!!!!

Once he puts on his funky colour spectrum glasses, the children are in awe and follow along as if in a trance!

:)

OP
L

lifewise

Originally posted by Rob_Broad

Did Gou show up? He is the same size as most children so he would be easy to miss.

What is it with you and height Rob? :confused:

Maybe it's time to measure up? :rofl:

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just really like particiapting in this thread. maybe one of the mods could move it somewhere more appropriate and we could come up with more ingenious ways of keeping cildren in line.

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rob,

Kids will do what is age appropriate. My little guys - 4 yr olds - have little or no attention span, but being spontaneously nutty always works to recapture their attention when it wanders. Same with the 5 to 7 yr olds. The juniors require only my walking over to them or their group and standing there with my hands behind my back, watching and not saying a word. KT

OP
O

OC Kid

Rob Rob Rob you still using duct tape??/ This is the new millenium try using Velcro jeessshhh...

Actually I found you can be stern with them. I :

Keep them busy the entire class

Be professional

Dont get personal you are not their parent or freind or psych

Make it fun , I am stern but I crack jokes in the class to make them laugh and keep it interesting

Remember kids take or think differently and they report to their parents. I hate explaining things to over reactive overly sensitive parents whose kids are overly sensitive and over react.

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This thread is really nothing more than a creative vent thread. Eraser and I were joking about creative ways to handle kids in an IM service so she started the thread,a nd we had some fun with it. I was hoping it could still be used for fun.

I am quite familiar with instructing children, andone of my common jokes is the Duct tape, they all know I am joking, so it is great fun.

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rob Broad said:
This thread is really nothing more than a creative vent thread. Eraser and I were joking about creative ways to handle kids in an IM service so she started the thread,a nd we had some fun with it. I was hoping it could still be used for fun.

I am quite familiar with instructing children, andone of my common jokes is the Duct tape, they all know I am joking, so it is great fun.
I do helicopters with some of the little ones at the end of class as a reward for good behavior. Something about turning a little one upside down and spinning them around causes terminal giggles.

Just as an aside, if one of them is polite and complimentary to their partner/classmates, we usually make a point of thanking them for it. We're not a traditional school with 'sir' or 'ma'am', but some of them do it anyway and it's nice to see that they have manners. KT

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
kenpo tiger said:
I do helicopters with some of the little ones at the end of class as a reward for good behavior. Something about turning a little one upside down and spinning them around causes terminal giggles.

I am seeing a correlation between helicopter and duct taping the child to the ceiling fan. You do it as a reward, I see it as a reard to me for not killing the little imp.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All that duct tape? doesn't it get expensive? Just use their belts, it is cost effective and makes a colorful design when more than one child is swinging from the ceiling fan!

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nalia said:
All that duct tape? doesn't it get expensive? Just use their belts, it is cost effective and makes a colorful design when more than one child is swinging from the ceiling fan!

Very good idea. I get my Duct tape a the dollar store, and I can usually tape up 12 kids per roll. so it is very cost effective.

I imagine with will expensive velcoing an entire wall, but it should be worth the money.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rob Broad said:
I imagine with will expensive velcoing an entire wall, but it should be worth the money.
Yes a velcro wall could also be part of the belt testing. Throw the kid on it at one end and have him peel and stick his way to the other. ;)

Latest Discussions