Working with Kids

E

Eraser

Hey all,

I've just recently this year started working with kids.. (first it was little league baseball) and now, my school has asked me to start helping out with the junior classes... my problem is that I would rather be the junior's "buddy" rather than the disciplinary (sp),
I know at time you have to be tuff with them.. but how can I accomplish this without coming off as a hard-a@@.
Any suggestions would be great!!!

Thanks in advance:asian:

OP
K

Kirk

Don't sweat it! Kids are very forgiving. Be stern when you have
to, and be their buddy when you can. If they're good, you be
their buddy ... if they're acting up, then take whatever action you
feel is applicable to the situation.

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Exactly what Kirk said. You don't have to be a drill sargent. My philosophy is kids should have fun and want to come back. But they should be learning, it's not a babysitting center for mom and Dad. Yes there are going to times you are going to have to pull the foot down and other times you are their best buddy. I find when kids don't have school, they are off for a holiday, snow day etc. they seem to act up more than if they are in school. Don't ask me why, but this what I have gotten from my kids when teaching classes.
Bob :asian:

OP
M

muayThaiPerson

Be their friend and win their heart. Theyll listen and will be fun to be with

OP
T

tonbo

Be *authoritative*, not *authoritarian*.

What's the difference? Well, someone "authoriTATIVE" will tell kids what they should and shouldn't do in class.....and tell them *why*. The "authoriTARIAN" tells people to do things because he/she said so.

Kids will respect you just fine if you lay out the boundaries for class, tell them WHY they need to do these things, and if you enforce them. For the most part, kids work well within boundaries--they just need to know what those boundaries are.

Be their friend, but don't be afraid to enforce your rules. For example, if you tell a kid that they will have to sit out if they are not paying attention, make them sit out if they are caught. You don't have to yell, or threaten, just remind. You can talk with them after class and explain why you did what you did, and you can still be "cool" with them. Don't embarrass anyone, just apply the law equally and evenly.

Kids can be really fun to teach, as long as you have fun with them.....just let 'em know that, while in class, it is *your* rules...

Peace--

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
what they tell new teachers:

day one: lay out the rules and explain why

week one through four: take no *****. however, every time you reprimand a kid, explain why, and have them explain it back to you in their own words.

week five: you can start relaxing.

week seven: chill out.

you need to tell them the rules so they know what's expected. then you need to enforce them regularly, so kids know you will. This is the time that they will test you. when they're done testing you, then you can chill out, because you've established discipline, and the kids will respect you for following through on what you say.

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with all of the above.. :) Being a mother it's kinda difficult for me to deal with the kids as I, maybe, expect more. I watch the interaction with the college kids teaching them and see the buddy relationship and how that works.. One of our instructors in particular is the buddy.. yet he's also the disciplinarian.. the other night one 4 yr olds Father (who's also a student) was watching as his son acted out.. he went onto the floor.. took his son to the 'buddy instructor' and had him discipline him!
It's all dependant on personalities I think, When to be strong and when to play.. these little kids look up to the instructors.. emulate them and when the instructors are disappointed in the kids.. well the kids know it and try even harder..
I prefer to work with adults.. that's just me.. :)
good luck and try to enjoy yourself :)

*To All Instructors*
If you're not a patient person it's going to be difficult to teach anyone.. so take a good look at your own personality and before you jump on someone.. maybe it's something in yourself you can change.. it's working for me :)

With Respect..
Tess

OP
E

Eraser

A HUGE Thanks to all that have given some advice.. its getting better each time now that I attend the Junior class.. there are a few students that are warming up to me.. and well there is the misbehaver that i have to give heck to somtimes.. but.. like you guys stated.. i tell him why..
So thanks again.. now the real challenge is remembering all their names.. hehehehehehe

;)

FUZZYJ692000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Eraser, try not to stress too much on how much the kids warm up to you in the begining. I realized that in our class that the ones that take the longest to warm up to you are the younger ones. They tend to have their favorites and when another person works with them then it is even harder to keep their attention. Most of the time if they get out of line just a stern voice and a mean look are plenty, especially for ages 5 and below. If that doesn't work, well, for the younger kids standing in the corner is a pretty good punishment. The older kids though they normally stay within their bounds, but push-ups are a wonderful thing. Don't get me wrong, we do play/free time with the kids. Mostly on Fridays and also depending on how their performance in class was for the week too. I have to agree with Tess, if the kid messes up they know it and they want to please you so that you're not disappointed in them. Your best weapon though is patience, patience, and patience. Good luck.:asian:

OP
R

Rob_Broad

My favorite tool for working with children is Duct tape. when the little buggers get out of hand tape to the wall upside down or better yet tape them to the ceiling fan.

Taping a child is a great deterrent, it is just like shooting a seagull in your field, the other birds won't come around whenthey see it. Children won't misbehave whenthey see Johnny spinning around on the ceiling fan turning green.

OP
E

Eraser

Rob,

Duct tape!! It never even crossed my mind.. I will have to make a trip to the local dollar store and stock up...
Keep em coming guys and gals..

;)

OP
R

Rob_Broad

If youare going to use duct tape, have fun. At the dollar store they have a wide variety of colors, red, blue, green, yellow, black, white, not just the regular silver.

OP
E

Eraser

ooooooooooo color co-ordination... even more fun.....
I can bind and gag them up by rank...
(is the gag, going a bit too far... or should i just stick to the tape??)
Thanks... ;)

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Don't gag them, let them scream, it makes the other children behave more.

OP
E

Eraser

Gotchya... Screaming = Good !!

Thanks..

Actually.. Tonight's class at the new school went well.. 5 young lads showed up.. and they were wonderful.. no trouble makers.. well at least not yet!! (crossing fingers)

I even made a buddy!! :D

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Originally posted by Eraser

Gotchya... Screaming = Good !!

Thanks..

Actually.. Tonight's class at the new school went well.. 5 young lads showed up.. and they were wonderful.. no trouble makers.. well at least not yet!! (crossing fingers)

I even made a buddy!! :D

Did Gou show up? He is the same size as most children so he would be easy to miss.

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Man anyone that teaches kids deserves a medal. I like kids, but trying to teach them is like a nightmare come true. I used to do it quite regularly when I was training in American Kenpo, but these days, thankfully, I don't have to.

Again, GOOD FOR YOU!
--Dave

:asian:

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rob_Broad

Don't gag them, let them scream, it makes the other children behave more.

Mr. Broad, you are an absolute inspiration to us all. From now on, I will endeavour to ignore GOU's advice and only follow yours.
You are THE Guru!!:asian:

--Dave

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Originally posted by D.Cobb

Mr. Broad, you are an absolute inspiration to us all. From now on, I will endeavour to ignore GOU's advice and only follow yours.
You are THE Guru!!:asian:

--Dave

I can feel my head swelling as I read your comment.

You should see my training facility of the future. A larger wheel like you see in a hamster cage for a child or two to run on to generate electricty. Gets them in shape, and helps keep the costs down as well. It will have velcro walls and the backs of their uniforms will be be velcro as well, when a child acts up, BAM! stick them to the wall. And the best part is the parents will be in a sound proof room so they can't disturb the class.

Man I can't wait for the future!

OP
E

Eraser

Rob...

Gou was at my class.. dang .. and I missed him... and here i thought that the kid with the hairy legs was just a mature 9 yr old... hehehe

p.s love the velcro idea.. dang man.. you have so many idea's.. so how ever will you find the time to implement them???

chow..

Eraser

Latest Discussions