Workin' for a livin'

YouAgain

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm still at high school but I'm definitly considering joining the army when I leave ! :apv:

K

khadaji

Full time student is my job...

Looking for something else uppon graduation...

OP
theletch1

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm still at high school but I'm definitly considering joining the army when I leave !
If you're gonna do it do it right.... USMC!!! OOHRAH! (that should stir things up a bit:D )

YouAgain

Green Belt
Reaction score
USMC? Is that the United States Marine Cores?

Seeings as I live in New Zealand I'm hoping to join the New Zealand Special Air Service!

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by YouAgain

Seeings as I live in New Zealand I'm hoping to join the New Zealand Special Air Service!

Better be careful, you misspelled CORPS. If there are any Jarheads near by they may try to frag ya for that one. :eek:

Consequently, if you really wanted to, I think you can join the USMC without being a citizen.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by OULobo
if you really wanted to, I think you can join the USMC without being a citizen.

Yes, but as an enlisted person only. Officers must be citizens.

molson

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Safety, Health and Environmental Manager. Also in charge of security.

OP
theletch1

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, USMC is indeed the United States Marine Corps.... or as we called ourselves when I was in .... Uncle Sam's Misguided Children!!
Better be careful, you misspelled CORPS. If there are any Jarheads near by they may try to frag ya for that one.
What?! I just can't imagine one of my fellow devil dog's fraggin' someone... nope.... not us.:D

GaryM

Green Belt
Reaction score
What's the difference between the Marine corps and the boy scouts? They give the marines guns and they give the boy scouts adult leadership.

P

pknox

Originally posted by GaryM
What's the difference between the Marine corps and the boy scouts? They give the marines guns and they give the boy scouts adult leadership.

Uh, I wouldn't say that standing around on base, or you may truly end up finding out what "duck and cover" means. ;)

As my uncle (Vietnam Vet, USMC) is fond of telling us at every opportunity -- "there are two types of people - those who are Marines, and those who wish they were."

I'm in the second camp, unfortunately, as I wasn't a Marine, or in the armed forces at all, though not for lack of trying - I made it though Army ROTC in college, and was never commissioned for medical reasons (a diff topic). I do have tremendous respect for all of those in the armed services, and the Marines in particular ( and I did before 9/11 too, btw). I have various family members who were in the armed services, and a few who were Marines. I also have a few close friends who were in the Corps. Every one of them is truly "misguided" as theletch1 would say (I guess that place does something to your head, eh? ;)), but also guys I definitely would not mind covering my back.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by pknox
I'm in the second camp, unfortunately, as I wasn't a Marine, or in the armed forces at all, though not for lack of trying - I made it though Army ROTC in college, and was never commissioned for medical reasons (a diff topic). I do have tremendous respect for all of those in the armed services, and the Marines in particular ( and I did before 9/11 too, btw). I have various family members who were in the armed services, and a few who were Marines. I also have a few close friends who were in the Corps. Every one of them is truly "misguided" as theletch1 would say (I guess that place does something to your head, eh? ;)), but also guys I definitely would not mind covering my back.

Pretty much the same story here. The armed forces frown upon missing knee ligiments. I had just about made up my mind to go to Navy OCS, but sometimes life throws you a curve ball. My curve ball came with 9 months recovery time, of course it also gave me a curve ball that is 5'9", brunette and happy to spend her life with me. So I guess it beats being in a tin can bobbin in the ocean afterall.

GaryM

Green Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by pknox
Uh, I wouldn't say that standing around on base, or you may truly end up finding out what "duck and cover" means. ;)

QUOTE] I said it when I was wearin the uniform and my opinion hasn't changed in the last 30 years. Maybe I would have felt differently had I been an officer, but I didn't meet the basic requirement, my parents were married!

P

pknox

Originally posted by GaryM
I said it when I was wearin the uniform and my opinion hasn't changed in the last 30 years. Maybe I would have felt differently had I been an officer, but I didn't meet the basic requirement, my parents were married!

Still making friends, I see... ;)

P

pknox

Originally posted by OULobo
Pretty much the same story here. The armed forces frown upon missing knee ligiments. I had just about made up my mind to go to Navy OCS, but sometimes life throws you a curve ball. My curve ball came with 9 months recovery time, of course it also gave me a curve ball that is 5'9", brunette and happy to spend her life with me. So I guess it beats being in a tin can bobbin in the ocean afterall.

I'd have to agree with you on that one. Sometimes I wonder if life would have been different for me if I had gone into the military as a career, as I had originally planned. I then realize that chances are I wouldn't have met my wife, and wouldn't have my kids -- or at least I probably wouldn't still have them, as I can't even count the number of career officers I know who are divorced -- and realize that where I am right now is pretty OK after all. There are things I miss though -- the camraderie, the pride, and the attention to detail that comes with the territory when you are a truly good soldier. Luckily for me, those are the same things you get when you train with a bunch of truly good martial artists.

Latest Discussions