Workin' for a livin'

OP
theletch1

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are things I miss though -- the camraderie, the pride,
The camraderie of the Corps doesn't end when your tour is up. I have USMC stickers on window of my vehicle and am greeted often by other men and women who did their time in the Corps. The phrase "Once a Marine, always a Marine" is right on the money. I've spoken with vets from other branches of the military and they have expressed that this after the tour mentality is either not as strong for them or not there at all. http://www.wjserra.com/quotes.htm Check out this site for a little more insight into the Marine Mentality. Semper Fi

Jmh7331

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have to even this out a bit, give some Army representation.

Quick history:
2 years engineering, went to work.
Got sick of the lab, joined the Army - 8 years. (Uncles were USMC in Vietnam, but Dad was USA in Korea, had to follow the old man's footsteps.)
Got out of Army, went back to school to give my future wife a better life.
Got an IT job, married my HS sweetheart.

M

MartialArtsChic

I started off in fast food and ended up:

Credit Bureau - phone person
Some stupid place here that went out of business - phones
Bakery & Deli Packaging Company - file clerk
2 person law firm - secretary

and am now a:

Word Processor for an even bigger law firm.

2fisted

Originally posted by TheEdge883
It's not that bad, the devil pays good :D

Dude that's the first thing I thought when I saw what you did for a living! :D

I do tech support at a software company, but nothing like aol. It's basically case managment software.... :rolleyes: It's really NOT interesting. :D

ABN

Green Belt
Reaction score
Army 91-95
Bartender/Student/National Guard 95-97
Sommelier/Restaurant Manager/NG/Winemaker 97-2001

9/11/2001-present
Active Duty again
Now train NG soldiers being mobilized for deployments OCONUS.
Sometimes fun, sometimes frustrating job, strange hours, get to live a "normal" life for the most part. Wondering when it'll be my turn to take a trip...

andy

old_sempai

Green Belt
Reaction score
New Jersey, way in the woods with 2 dogs, one pass
I'm not an Engineer, but play one in real life.....

Started out as a "Grease Monkey some 40 odd years ago after 4 years in the US Navy. Secured some education and 2 Federal licenses, and became an Automotive Instructor.... now I design trucks, and I'm working on becoming a farmer, and a lumber jack working around the 11-1/2 acres that I own and want to turn into a farm.... just finished building a 40 ton capacity bridge, by hand, and my next project is to build a 16 foot water wheel to power a generator system for the property.....and turn a 40 inch diameter buzz saw into a rail mounted saw mill system.... buzz saws are very unforgiving so I plan on pushing the saw along a rail rather than pushing the wood into the saw... that way I hope to be able keep all of my fingers, hands and arms into old age... wait a minute........ I'm already old......

Raising chickens - just for the eggs for home consumption, learning how to make lots of sawdust and hope to start growing Shitake mushrooms along with a number of other woodland products, and putter around the property when I retire...... hopefully in 5-1/2 years.............

T

TheRustyOne

Lesse. I've not had much job experience. Once cuz I'm lazy, two cuz I'm only 19, three cuz I'm in college. :p

Currently, I work tuesdays and thursdays in retail. Anyone heard of/remember/love Peace Frogs? Great stuff.
Previously, I worked as the cleaning staff/restock/every other little task necessary at a florist. No arranging, just everything else.
And before that I worked at a pet shop. It sucked. They didn't pay attention to the schedule I gave them and put me to work on those days. Grr. I don't mention that job much cuz I hated it!

My parents both work for duPont. Dad is PhD Organic Chem, and mom is a environmental safety person-thingie (jr. college degree). Honestly, I'm not to sure what they do there, I just know they work for duPont and their credentials!

I guess I could list college as a job because it's a hella lotta work!

Q

Quick Sand

I've never had a full time job year round because I'm still a student but I've had a variety of jobs over the last few years.

One summer I was a Christmas tree trimmer. (yes, you trim them in june, july so they'll be pretty and symetrical for Christmas.) I had to use a pair of little had clippers and a big thing that was basically a sword. Sounds okay but it was actually horrible and I never got paid for the last 18 hours I worked.

The next summer I worked at a music store. That was awesome because I was going into Music in university and I got lots of cds and stuff for really cheap.

Following summer I worked in the mail room at the local newspaper. It has nothing to do with mail. We put all the flyers in the papers. If you've ever seen one or two flyers inside another flyer, that's done by hand. Them we used huge machines that were really loud and often jammed to put the flyers actually in the paper. Really low pay and I'm pretty sure I damaged my vocal chords and probably damaged my hearing a bit too. We weren't allowed to wear ear protection. Also crappy, very inconsistant hours.

The last two summers I've worked at a historic tourist site where I pretend to be a male soldier at a British fort in the military of 1867. I wear a full wool uniform all summer long and get screamed at because we have to act like the military. It's actually lots of fun though because I also give tours, work with kids and the public, do military drill, march with my subunit (the drum corps) and play fife (horrible instrument but at least it's music) and bugle and we do formations while we march and stuff. We also get to fire all the big cannons on the walls of the fort and other smaller guns and carronades and things. I even learned to fire a rifle last summer.

I'll be working there again this summer and now I'll be a Lance Corporal so I'll also have some responsibility for training and stuff. . . . . And I'll get to carry a drill cane. he he he

Then I'm off to do a program that will hopefully lead to a real job instead of a student summer job. I'll be learning to be a Musical Instrument Repair Technician.

T

TonyM.

Currently I'm the dining room manager in a country inn. Have held every position in the restaurant trade since '65.
Public service: U.S. Army '70-'73 Co.H 75th Inf.
Vermont Dept of mental Health,VT State Hospital
'79-'80
Vermont Dept. of Corrections, Chittendon
Community Correctional Ctr. '81-'82

OP
theletch1

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This really makes me feel great about my chosen profession...
In terms of sheer numbers, more truck drivers --- 808 –--died on the job than any other vocation in the top ten. But because there are so many truckers, their fatality rate is only 25 per 100,000, giving them tenth place on the list. Truckers die, mostly in traffic accidents, at six times the average rate but less than a quarter the rate of timber cutters.
:mad:

E

edhead2000

Let's see here. I'm going to school -- that's my main job. I'm working towards a doctorate in pharmacy and a master's in business administration. I'll be graduating in 2 years -- woo hoo!!!

On the part time circuit, I'm a "pharmacy intern" -- glorified pharmacy tech -- get paid more and have more responsibilities. Basically I do all that the pharmacist does but get paid 1/4 less. It's fun. I actually love my job because I love the people I work with. The customers could use some work, but who doesn't complain at the pharmacy?? :)

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I dont think I like my Job anymore.

I dont think I am gonna go anymore.

Latest Discussions