Woo Hoo - Victory over Crime (and commerce)

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ashcroft said:
“The objective of securing the safety of Americans from crime and terror has been achieved"
What a tremendous achievment for a man who four years ago lost an election to a dead man. There is no more crime or terrorism in our society! So says John Ashcroft. Man, I am so relieved. I will sleep so much better tonight.

Also, Commerce Secretary Don Evans has decided to leave the Bush Administration. Following Ashcroft's lead, this must mean we will suffer no more silly Commerce in our society.

Let the Party Begin !!!

:partyon:

P.S. Do you suppose this means we can take that silly toga from 'The Spirit of Justice'? We paid $8,000.00 to cover the statue, I'll pay the 8 grand to get it removed.

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yup. The Land of the Canucks is looking more appealing by the hour...

R

raedyn

In what context did Ashcroft make such a ridiculous comment?

Jeff Boler

Blue Belt
Reaction score
heretic888 said:
Yup. The Land of the Canucks is looking more appealing by the hour...

Hey, if that's how you really feel, don't let the door hit you in the tail on the way out.

I've never seen so many whiners in my life. And you liberals can't figure out why you have lost the last two elections. Are you people that out of touch?

boohoo.gif

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
raedyn said:
In what context did Ashcroft make such a ridiculous comment?
For one, he made the comment in a five-page hand-written letter to Dubya. Also, Dubya has already declared a win over the war on terror - now if we could only lose less life after a declared win than before, and bring our soldiers home, a few more of us would be happy.

I will also feel much better having someone who lost an election to a dead man retired from his position.

Ted Koppel did a piece on this last night and replayed an interview with Mr. Ashcroft shortly after he designated his color-coded terrorism alert system. Ted asked him, "Really, can't a 12-year-old figure out that we are at risk of terrorism and that it fluctuates according to information the government receives?" Ted received feedback that Mr. Ashcroft didn't like that question and declined further interviews because of it.

Not whining here - nope, nope, nope.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes. Now, again - I don't want to be argumentative - but I'm curious how exactly making a comment that can come off as snide and that was clearly ill-intentioned helps the cause of the comment-maker?

Unfortunately, I think this is a popular form of vernacular amongst those of a certain political leaning. I also think it incites emotion in the general populus and gives them something to supposedly identify with and follow, since the tendency of humans is to crowd in with the "bully" if you will.

Furthermore, and still unfortunately, this way of speaking has served that particular political leaning well, obviously.

How can we help them snap out of it?

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, for one, anyone that has seen me discuss political matters in depth will quickly learn that I'm a far cry from "liberal".

Of course, if your definition of "liberal" is "not conservative", then I could see how you could run into problems.

Then again, methinks colors are so much more appealing than black and white.

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
Now that I have some time, I thought I'd address Jeff's comments in more detail...

Jeff Boler said:
Hey, if that's how you really feel, don't let the door hit you in the tail on the way out.

Ah, feel the love. :rolleyes:

No, Jeff, that's not how I really feel. Anyone with half a brain could tell I made my initial post in jest. Translation: it was a joke.

Of course, the outrage at any form of political dissidence or questioning whatsoever --- even when made in a non-serious context --- is something I've come to expect from the majority of Bush supporters.

Jeff Boler said:
I've never seen so many whiners in my life.

Y'should watch more FOX News. ;)

Jeff Boler said:
And you liberals can't figure out why you have lost the last two elections. Are you people that out of touch?

First off, as before, I am not a liberal. The defining feature of liberalism is that it holds the sources and solutions of human suffering to be external in origin (i.e., society does bad stuff to us and that's why life sucks). I have no more favoritism with that philosophical persuasion than I do with the internalist leaning of conservatism.

Secondly, "we" lost the last two elections for two very different reasons:

- Election 2000: A heavily conservative Supreme Court gave the presidency to George W. Bush, even though he didn't have the electoral votes to support this decision. Less of a win, more of a steal (not that Gore was a helluva lotta better, anyway).

- Election 2004: Nearly 75% of Bush's voters held (and continue to hold) erroneous perceptions about Iraq's possession of WMDs and their involvement in 9/11, despite claims of the contrary from the 9/11 Commission Report. Frivolous side issues --- such as gay marriage, stem cell research, and abortion --- were also raised by the administration to bring in purported "values voters" (who generally lean more toward the conservative slant).

Laterz.

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Looking at the bright side .. even though we have defeated crime and terrorism, the new proposed Attorney General has spent a great deal of time defining all the legal ways the United States Government can torture people.

Yippee!!!

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
heretic888 said:
- Election 2004: Nearly 75% of Bush's voters held (and continue to hold) erroneous perceptions about Iraq's possession of WMDs and their involvement in 9/11, despite claims of the contrary from the 9/11 Commission Report. Frivolous side issues --- such as gay marriage, stem cell research, and abortion --- were also raised by the administration to bring in purported "values voters" (who generally lean more toward the conservative slant).

See attached.

Regards,

Steve

Attachments

• $cp_honest.gif
    22.6 KB · Views: 100