Woman That Found Finger In Chili Arrested

Kane

Black Belt
Reaction score
Reference Article: http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/04/22/wendys.finger.ap/

This actually happened a few days ago.

I don't know about you, but this finger in the chili case has really effected my family's and myself's lives. Because her attempt of lieng to get money, she has ruined many people's lives too. My father father owns a Wendys and he has reported that he has lost more sales than ever before, over $50,000 this month. Because of it it is becoming hard for my father to pay my college tuition money and there has been even more tension between my parents now who are already having many problems with each other. Of course it is easy to say "Just apply for a loan" but I am already two years into college and trying to get loan now would be extremely difficult at the moment. No matter, why is that people are waiting for to grab money? Don't these people know when they cost these big franchises like Wendys money for their selfish desires for money that it really hurts the people who are employed in that franchise?

Honestly I hope this lady gets a long time in prison. She has ruined so many people's lives, including my own. Why do you think people are suing so much more now than they did 30 or 40 years ago? I think it has to do with the fact that there are too many lawyers in this country, and corrupt one for that. What do you think we should do to stop people from trying to get money by ruining other people's lives by trying to sue them? Why can't these people work for money? The woman should have robbed a bank and try to get away with it, at least in that situation your not hurting a company of workers.

My father came to this country from India with not much money in his pocket, but he worked his way up and finally achieved the American Dream and owns his own business. I'm sure at that time if my father knew how how many corrupt people and lawyers are in this country, he would have never thought about coming here. He did have a good business degree in India and could have saved a lot of money if he did stay there. India may not be the richest country, but like money countries in the world people aren't out to make up lies and sue you for your money.

T

TonyM.

Good points my friend. Unfortunately the economy is such that the hospitality business is down everywhere right now.

R

rmcpeek

Unfortunately, some people see this type of fraud as an easy way to make money. I'm glad she got caught and hope she gets what's coming to her.

Hopefully this will send a message to people out there who think about this kind of scam to make money thru lawsuits.

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I can't believe what I just read.

Sorry to hear that your father's Wendy's establishment isn't doing so hot right now, but there are going to be times when profits aren't that great. A Consumer Report about fast food cooking practices could easily cause more loss in revenue then some woman pulling a scam. It's part of owning a major franchise, particularly a fast food one. Besides, with how addicted Americans are to fast food, I'm sure business will be picking back up pretty quick.

And too many lawyers? Because one person pulls a scam through a lawsuit there are now too many lawyers trying to sue? That's the solution, let's get rid of lawyers so nobody can sue corporate America anymore. I'm sure businesses like Wendy's will still worry about customer satisfaction then. Do me a favor: do a little research and show me just how many actual lawsuits in the past, oh let's say 20 years actually consist of scam suits? Not crap you heard about from friends or joke emails, actual cases you've found. You might be surprised by how few there are.

R

raedyn

So... Did the police ever actually see the finger, or was this story based entirely on one woman's word?

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
RandomPhantom700 said:
And too many lawyers?
Considering that the US has more lawyers than the rest of the world combined, ya I'd say that is probably too many.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
raedyn said:
So... Did the police ever actually see the finger, or was this story based entirely on one woman's word?
Yes, they have the finger, they just don't know who it belongs to...Since nobody has come forward to claim their missing finger, my wife thinks that it's either because it belongs to someone the woman knows or maybe a cadaver. Who knows.

There has been more damage caused than Wendy's will ever recieve back from this woman. On the brighter side, once it was discovered to be a hoax, Wendy's stock has been going through the roof according to CNN. And as RandomPhantom700 mentioned, scams like this happen fairly infrequently. At this level anyway. This woman, with her track record is going to be made an example of in a big way. It's what she deserves, it's what she's going to get.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
True there are too many people looking for the easy way to make money and too many lawyers willing to help. But it will go on, remember that one lady who sued McDonalds because she spilled hot coffee on herself and WON! Another lady in Britian tried to do the same thing and lost because the judge said she should've known the tea was going to be hot and the whole thing was stupid.
Judges are also part of the problem for as long as they continue to award to the plaintiff and not the defendant. The American Judge who awarded the coffee suit should've known not to do so. Why he did it is unknown and may never be.
Now we see warning labels on just about everything and years before no-one reportedly got hurt by those items... but just in case... hey, can't say you weren't warned.
Anyone remember the other suits about fried rats at KFC? Or cockroaches in the salad at some other resturant and so on? Some of these have passed on to urban legends and others to obscurity.
This woman got caught and that's good. It was a little tooo "out-there" for her to make a simple lawsuit. You can betcha the police are going to wonder where that finger came from and if I'm not mistaken it's illegal to carry around (real) body parts that aren't yours (or even unattached).
Sigh, ain't America great? :uhyeah:

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
Kane said:
Because her attempt of lieng to get money, she has ruined many people's lives too. My father father owns a Wendys and he has reported that he has lost more sales than ever before, over $50,000 this month.
Good gracious, I didn't realize the fast food industry was that lucrative! Impressive!
Kane said:
Because of it it is becoming hard for my father to pay my college tuition money
immediately followed by...
Kane said:
Why can't these people work for money?
Good question. Do you supplement your tuition with a part/full time job? Maybe that would take some burden off your parents.
Kane said:
Of course it is easy to say "Just apply for a loan" but I am already two years into college and trying to get loan now would be extremely difficult at the moment.
Ummm. No. Uncle sam is ALWAYS happy to give you money if you're willing to do the paperwork. Trust me on this. I worked full-full time AND went to school full-time (many times overloading my semesters), and still supplemented tution with loans.
Kane said:
why is that people are waiting for to grab money? Don't these people know when they cost these big franchises like Wendys money for their selfish desires for money that it really hurts the people who are employed in that franchise?
I will agree that I'm sure it hurts the people at some franchises such as your father, but Wendy's international I doubt cares in the least.
Kane said:
She has ruined so many people's lives, including my own.
Please tell me how this lady ruined your life? Did she come into your house, kill both parents, take your inheritance, clothes, car, iPod, laptop, watch, wallet, credit cards, class schedule, left leg, and leave you on the streets? (if all that did happen, I'm truely sorry).
Kane said:
Why do you think people are suing so much more now than they did 30 or 40 years ago? I think it has to do with the fact that there are too many lawyers in this country, and corrupt one for that.
So by your logic, you hate doctors too, since there's more of them now than 30-40 years ago, and all they preach is how bad fast food is, right?
Kane said:
What do you think we should do to stop people from trying to get money by ruining other people's lives by trying to sue them?
Were you this up-in-arms when the woman sued McD's for burning herself with coffee and WON? Were you this up-in-arms when the guy sued BK's for making him fat? Just curious.
Kane said:
The woman should have robbed a bank and try to get away with it, at least in that situation your not hurting a company of workers.
Wow... you didn't actually just say that, did you? Just incase you haven't ever heard this, bank robbery is ILLEGAL. Making a stupid lawsuit, albeit lame, is well within the law.
Kane said:
My father came to this country from India with not much money in his pocket, but he worked his way up and finally achieved the American Dream and owns his own business.
and he should be QUITE proud of that, since most AMERICANS can't even do that. Then again, I guess why it's called a "dream" instead of "The American norm".
Kane said:
I'm sure at that time if my father knew how how many corrupt people and lawyers are in this country, he would have never thought about coming here. He did have a good business degree in India and could have saved a lot of money if he did stay there. India may not be the richest country, but like money countries in the world people aren't out to make up lies and sue you for your money.
Riiiiiiight, so america is the corrupt devil. *nods* There's no corrupt people anywhere else in the world... *nods* Oh, excuse me, the concentration just isn't as high... *nods* That's what makes this country great. You're allowed to think that. Have fun with it. Post it on a sign (or a messageboard). I'm going to do what's within my rights and stop my post here, before I really get angry and offensive. *bow*

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MACaver said:
True there are too many people looking for the easy way to make money and too many lawyers willing to help. But it will go on, remember that one lady who sued McDonalds because she spilled hot coffee on herself and WON! . . .

The big thing about the McDonalds Coffe case, as that she asked for Coffee, and then drank some in her car and said it was too cold. They gave her some new, it was to cold, so the put it in the Micro-wave to satisfy her.

Now the side of the coffee cup and also at Caribou and other coffee places, say "Caution, Contents are hot." or something similiar to it. The cup the lady received did not have such a warning. :rolleyes:

As to the case of the finger and the Chili, I hope that the system executes and if they find her guilty, then I hope she gets the maximum penalty.

Peace
:asian:

D

Deuce

There's something very fishy about this court case. I just can't quite put my finger on it.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's true--this costs real people real money, and while Wendy's is filthy rich, not every franchise owner is.

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kane said:
I'm sure at that time if my father knew how how many corrupt people and lawyers are in this country, he would have never thought about coming here. He did have a good business degree in India and could have saved a lot of money if he did stay there. India may not be the richest country, but like money countries in the world people aren't out to make up lies and sue you for your money.
Hey hey, corruption is everywhere. Nonetheless, I am sorry that a corrupt person effected you and your hard working family. Best of luck to you.

OP
K

Kane

Black Belt
Reaction score
OUMoose said:
Good gracious, I didn't realize the fast food industry was that lucrative! Impressive!
immediately followed by... Good question. Do you supplement your tuition with a part/full time job? Maybe that would take some burden off your parents.
Ummm. No. Uncle sam is ALWAYS happy to give you money if you're willing to do the paperwork. Trust me on this. I worked full-full time AND went to school full-time (many times overloading my semesters), and still supplemented tution with loans.
I will agree that I'm sure it hurts the people at some franchises such as your father, but Wendy's international I doubt cares in the least.
Please tell me how this lady ruined your life? Did she come into your house, kill both parents, take your inheritance, clothes, car, iPod, laptop, watch, wallet, credit cards, class schedule, left leg, and leave you on the streets? (if all that did happen, I'm truely sorry).
So by your logic, you hate doctors too, since there's more of them now than 30-40 years ago, and all they preach is how bad fast food is, right?
Were you this up-in-arms when the woman sued McD's for burning herself with coffee and WON? Were you this up-in-arms when the guy sued BK's for making him fat? Just curious.
Wow... you didn't actually just say that, did you? Just incase you haven't ever heard this, bank robbery is ILLEGAL. Making a stupid lawsuit, albeit lame, is well within the law.
and he should be QUITE proud of that, since most AMERICANS can't even do that. Then again, I guess why it's called a "dream" instead of "The American norm".
Riiiiiiight, so america is the corrupt devil. *nods* There's no corrupt people anywhere else in the world... *nods* Oh, excuse me, the concentration just isn't as high... *nods* That's what makes this country great. You're allowed to think that. Have fun with it. Post it on a sign (or a messageboard). I'm going to do what's within my rights and stop my post here, before I really get angry and offensive. *bow*
I never said America is a big evil and this doesn't happen anywhere else in the world. all I am saying is that these type of things happen more in this country. No, I don't hate American. I'm sure rmcrobertson or michealward can tell you that (since they think I am a typical conservative yank;)).

I get the feeling that you think that this is okay for selling evil greasy food that makes people overweight. Just for you know that isn't up to the small buisness owners on how bad they make the food, they do what they can to make a living. As far as the ruining life bit goes, there are other family problems that it created that I don't really want to discuss over the publicly. You however get the picture I hope.

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kane said:
I never said America is a big evil and this doesn't happen anywhere else in the world. all I am saying is that these type of things happen more in this country. No, I don't hate American. I'm sure rmcrobertson or michealward can tell you that (since they think I am a typical conservative yank;)).

I get the feeling that you think that this is okay for selling evil greasy food that makes people overweight. Just for you know that isn't up to the small buisness owners on how bad they make the food, they do what they can to make a living. As far as the ruining life bit goes, there are other family problems that it created that I don't really want to discuss over the publicly. You however get the picture I hope.
It is unfortunate that this situation has affected your family, but im sure this is not going to make the fast food ind go under, business will bounce back. it is the hard times in life that make us stronger and gives us an opportunity to learn about our selves, its all in your attitude and the way you deal with the situation. Do you learn, grow and become a better, stronger person....or do you complain, whine and think the world owes you something?

Just think how lucky you are to have the things you have, to be able to even go to college (ya know that isnt the norm in a lot of country's), and most importantly...you have a family that loves you and are paying out a load of money to help towards a good future.

Sure this woman did a terrible thing, but im sure she had her reasons that we can only speculate on?

And im guessing there is a large amount of corruption in America because its so damn big :rolleyes:

good luck with your future :asian:

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
The lady in question does have a history of trying similar scams in the past. I'd assume her reasons weren't much better than "Oh look a finger. If I put it in something edible and then sue for damages, I'll get some fast cash."

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Original article
Odds of body parts in food? Not good
Statistics belie recent rash of digit-in-product incidents
The Associated Press
Updated: 3:58 p.m. ET May 4, 2005

RALEIGH, N.C. - This time, no one is doubting the claims: A customer really did find part of a worker’s finger in a pint of frozen chocolate custard purchased at a shop in North Carolina.

advertisement
Despite the horrifying find — and widespread media coverage of an infamous finger incident at a Wendy’s restaurant in California in March — work place statistics show that the chance of a body part winding up in food is extremely small.

The piece of index finger, which an employee had severed at the first knuckle, was found Sunday by Clarence Stowers in a pint of dessert he purchased from Kohl’s Frozen Custard in the coastal town of Wilmington.

Kohl’s owner Craig Thomas said 23-year-old employee Brandon Fizer tried to catch a bucket of custard he had dropped and accidentally put his finger into a machine that beats the custard mix. As shop workers tried to help Fizer, a drive-thru window attendant unknowingly scooped frozen custard from the bucket containing the finger and served it to Stowers.

The state Department of Labor is investigating to determine whether Kohl’s was in compliance with state workplace safety rules — a probe that likely will take about two weeks.

Stowers did not return repeated calls for comment Tuesday. He has reportedly hired a lawyer and is holding on to the severed finger as evidence in a possible lawsuit.

“I thought it was candy because they put candy in your ice cream or whatever to make it a treat,” he told a Wilmington television station on Sunday. “So I proceeded to put the object in my mouth, got all the ice cream off of it and spit it in my hand.”
After rinsing it off with water, Stowers said he realized what it was and “just started screaming.”

D

Deuce

I guess the going price on a finger is $50

SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) - A man who lost part of his finger in a workplace accident was the source of the fingertip used in an alleged scam against Wendy's restaurants, and gave it away to settle a debt, his mother said.

"My son is the victim in this," Brenda Shouey said in an interview published in Wednesday's San Francisco Chronicle. "I believe he got caught in something, and he didn't understand what was going on."

Anna Ayala, 39, was arrested April 21 at her Las Vegas home on suspicion of attempted grand theft for allegedly costing Wendy's millions of dollars in a plot to shake down the company by claiming she found the finger in a bowl of chili in a restaurant in San Jose.

Ayala was to be arraigned Wednesday afternoon.

Shouey, of Worthington, Pa., said her son, Brian Paul Rossiter, 36, of Las Vegas, lost part of his finger in December in an accident at a paving company where he worked with James Plascencia, Ayala's husband. His hand got caught in a mechanical truck lift, she said.

She said he gave it to Plascencia to settle a $50 debt.

San Jose police announced last week the finger was obtained from an associate of Plascencia, but have refused to identify him because he is co-operating in the investigation. They did not immediately return a message seeking comment on the newspaper's account.

Shouey said her son had showed the severed finger to co-workers in a macho display of humour and was desperate for cash when he gave it away "to this character, James."

"My son is a happy-go-lucky guy. He thought it was cute to show" the severed finger, Shouey said. "It's like a man thing."

Shouey declined to give details of how the finger was preserved or whether Rossiter knew why Plascencia allegedly wanted the finger. She said her son told her of his role only this week and is keeping a low profile after undergoing intense police questioning.

Plascencia was arrested earlier this month on unrelated charges of failing to pay child support in a previous relationship.

Latest Discussions