Wish Kickboxing would come back.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think all of us from the "old" days miss kickboxing as it used to be. I have been missing Knockdown karate as well, but that is another story.

Why did we let it get to the way it is today? I get sick to my stomach watching light to no contact guys/girls giving themselves a shot at doing some kickboxing. Why don't we make it come back? Anyone up for bringing back the PKA?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kick boxing is alive and well, kicking in Europe! The Netherlands has some tremendous shows and kick boxers. We still have kick boxing clubs and shows here, often we have K1 on MMA shows. It's still out there.
It's still around in the US, too. It's just not getting the press attention, especially since MMA draws more viewers, whether on TV or in a local arena.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
I still remember seeing a few kickboxing matches on TV when I was younger and just starting Taekwon-Do. Some very good matches with a level of technical variety that was pleasantly surprising. I can stioll remember seeing one match where one of the fighters clocked the other with a spinning back-fist. It wasn't a KO but boy you could tell it hurt. (I'm still a fan of the old spinning back-fist and have used it to great effect in sparring myself).

Pax,

Chris

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
10 years ago on the 24th when we lost Andy. Gone, but NEVER forgotten!!!!

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I still remember seeing a few kickboxing matches on TV when I was younger and just starting Taekwon-Do. Some very good matches with a level of technical variety that was pleasantly surprising. I can stioll remember seeing one match where one of the fighters clocked the other with a spinning back-fist. It wasn't a KO but boy you could tell it hurt. (I'm still a fan of the old spinning back-fist and have used it to great effect in sparring myself).

Pax,

Chris

I love the spinning backfist, myself. Too bad it's often called as blind under NASKA rules.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jerry Trimble was just a lot of fun to watch in the 80's. A big mouth, but a lot of fun to watch.

Last edited by a moderator:

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Anyone seen the World Combat League? Teams from various US cities in circular ring, with various weight classes and both genders represented?
I've seen it on TV occasionally.

Carl

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anyone seen the World Combat League? Teams from various US cities in circular ring, with various weight classes and both genders represented?
I've seen it on TV occasionally.

Carl
Use to love that show. Too bad it is not in production anymore. Chuck Norris use to produce it. Wish that would come back also. Just needed some tweaking of the rules and format but was a great event to watch.

You can still watch old episodes from their web site http://www.wcl.com/. There are some great KO's.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is a offshoot of the PKA somewhere in the midwest, I was googling one day and it popped up. The problem with all of this is the no financial gain for it. Since MMA have taken over and the purses are big that is what people see as legit stuff. I for one long for those good old days when you stepped into the ring and fought it out with little or no regards to your body until the match was over. I believe it can come back and have a place if the fighters was getting paid enough so they could train fulltime and support their families. As far as Chucks group it was a matter of money not enough to go around so the all mighty dollar took it over and of course it lost.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I much prefer Kick Boxing to UFC. UFC 118 was horrible. The matches are getting hard to watch. I think that you will start to see UFC slide. I hope that kick boxing will fill the void. I would like to see Dana White bring kick boxing(like K1) to the UFC he is certainly a marketing genius!!!

I think that Kick Boxing matches would be great mixed in with MMA matches.

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
...I hope that kick boxing will fill the void. I would like to see Dana White bring kick boxing(like K1) to the UFC he is certainly a marketing genius!!!

I think that Kick Boxing matches would be great mixed in with MMA matches.
That seems like a great idea. I can only hope Dana White is as smart as they say. Seems like a no brainer to me. K-1 plus MMA at the same event. That's the best of both worlds.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The water cooler talk amongst the fight fans at work is not good for UFC...Everyone hated 118!!! Also most commented that no interesting fights in the future!!!

ADD K1...It would be a great success...The only reason that it failed in the USA is bad marketing!!! With the UFC marketing machine behind it K1 is a big winner!!!!

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Most MMA fans will watch the next one, but they won't like themselves for doing it. Boxing fans are like that as well. No matter how many stinkers they put on, we hope this one will be a good fight.

Many of my kickboxing friends switched over to boxing in the 90's because the pay was better. Several kickboxing world champs I know said, "I would much rather defend this title than just box, but there's no money in it!" Now some of the kickboxing names of old are getting into MMA because that's where the money is.

I miss the old PKA days. THAT was some fun stuff!

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Most MMA fans will watch the next one, but they won't like themselves for doing it. Boxing fans are like that as well. No matter how many stinkers they put on, we hope this one will be a good fight.

Many of my kickboxing friends switched over to boxing in the 90's because the pay was better. Several kickboxing world champs I know said, "I would much rather defend this title than just box, but there's no money in it!" Now some of the kickboxing names of old are getting into MMA because that's where the money is.

I miss the old PKA days. THAT was some fun stuff!

Boxing has a much longer history!!! And it has dropped off! Heavyweight division is dead!!! UFC has a much shorter history and if they don't come up with something new people will move on...UFC would bring $ to the Kick Boxers and new blood to the UFC.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Boxing has a much longer history!!! And it has dropped off! Heavyweight division is dead!!! UFC has a much shorter history and if they don't come up with something new people will move on...UFC would bring $ to the Kick Boxers and new blood to the UFC.

Yeah the boxing heavyweight division has been dead since Tyson went to jail. Boxing is dead even among boxing fans! A close friend of mine is fighting for a major title in September. I asked folks about it on a boxing website & no one has replied in the month since I put it up.

I agree that Dana White should add kickboxing to the UFC. It would be a great idea. But, he hasn't asked me yet.:ultracool

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah the boxing heavyweight division has been dead since Tyson went to jail. Boxing is dead even among boxing fans! A close friend of mine is fighting for a major title in September. I asked folks about it on a boxing website & no one has replied in the month since I put it up.

I agree that Dana White should add kickboxing to the UFC. It would be a great idea. But, he hasn't asked me yet.:ultracool

I might get in my car and go talk to him today!. His office is only about 1 mile from mine. LOL!!! Somehow I don't think that he will see me!!!

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I might get in my car and go talk to him today!. His office is only about 1 mile from mine. LOL!!! Somehow I don't think that he will see me!!!
Hey you never know?!

Latest Discussions