Wing Chun's basic stance

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Woah woah woah!! Slow down slow down. I never meant that a grappler would take a guy down if they were squared off etc.

You can usually keep your feet against anyone if you know what to do in that set format. Watch the UFC - most can easily prevent the shoot

My point was that if you are not squared off (someone grabs you from behind, etc), you can't rely on wing chun alone to save you.

Fights hardly ever happen like in a film. You don't have time to position yourself or your footwork. I have seen many good fighters (including my friend who has done karate for twenty three years) taken to the ground before they knew what was happening.

All I'm saying is don't get too blinded by wing chun and anti-grappling. Wing Chun is great, but don't dismiss other arts so quickly. I am a big guy and have a strong base, but I was taken down by Roger Gracie like I was a ragdoll

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Woah woah woah!! Slow down slow down. I never meant that a grappler would take a guy down if they were squared off etc.

You can usually keep your feet against anyone if you know what to do in that set format. Watch the UFC - most can easily prevent the shoot

My point was that if you are not squared off (someone grabs you from behind, etc), you can't rely on wing chun alone to save you.

Fights hardly ever happen like in a film. You don't have time to position yourself or your footwork. I have seen many good fighters (including my friend who has done karate for twenty three years) taken to the ground before they knew what was happening.

All I'm saying is don't get too blinded by wing chun and anti-grappling. Wing Chun is great, but don't dismiss other arts so quickly. I am a big guy and have a strong base, but I was taken down by Roger Gracie like I was a ragdoll

Well, for the time being I'm going to stick to WC until I get everything down. Maybe after that I'll take up BJJ because it seems to be pretty effective. I really see it getting confusing, not sure though, to switch between different styles. I definitely don't like incorporating movies that break concepts or go against the originating style.

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, if I were to be taken by surprise I'd really have to count on sensitivity and adaptation anyway. I'll stick to WC. Cross training before you have a complete grip on an art would only confuse your training. I've done that before.
Plus, it's been my experience that when your surprised, or taken off guard (i.e. jumped) it's your muscle memory that takes over, not your mind. The mind doesn't even have time to know what's happening. Your body and training cause you to react much before thought can process.
As for having time to get into basic stance. It's not really that far away from just standing in a normal non fighting position. Feet shoulder width apart, knees slightly bent. All you'd have to really change is the angle of your feet and shift your hips up.
Simplicity.

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well, if I were to be taken by surprise I'd really have to count on sensitivity and adaptation anyway. I'll stick to WC. Cross training before you have a complete grip on an art would only confuse your training. I've done that before.
Plus, it's been my experience that when your surprised, or taken off guard (i.e. jumped) it's your muscle memory that takes over, not your mind. The mind doesn't even have time to know what's happening. Your body and training cause you to react much before thought can process.
As for having time to get into basic stance. It's not really that far away from just standing in a normal non fighting position. Feet shoulder width apart, knees slightly bent. All you'd have to really change is the angle of your feet and shift your hips up.
Simplicity.

You describe sooooo well :D

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I know what you guys are saying. Kevin Chan once held up a stance on one foot and I could barely move him let alone drag him to the floor. But as I said that was more to do with a situation where he could see me going and for demo purposes

In BJJ you only really need to now a few techniques that will help add to your wing chun. You won't, for example, need to know how to arm bar or leg bar someone. You won't need to know how to traingle someone. You can just work getting into a mount and getting back up again

The point is that don't write off other martial arts. If you don't want to do them, fine, but know your enemy!!!

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've done other arts and loved them! Wing Chun's just my total fav.
Arm bars and joint locks aren't hard to learn and utilize, if you can get a couple of good punches in. I took Ju-Jitsu for three years and loved it. Great alternative to what everyone elese was learning at the time.
And effective.
But when I found out WC/WT have joint locks too, that just kinda sinched it for me. Seemed like a pretty well rounded art. + the anti-grappling of course. It's just a simpler way to defend yourself.

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I've done other arts and loved them! Wing Chun's just my total fav.
Arm bars and joint locks aren't hard to learn and utilize, if you can get a couple of good punches in. I took Ju-Jitsu for three years and loved it. Great alternative to what everyone elese was learning at the time.
And effective.
But when I found out WC/WT have joint locks too, that just kinda sinched it for me. Seemed like a pretty well rounded art. + the anti-grappling of course. It's just a simpler way to defend yourself.

That's what it really comes down to, simplicity.

Latest Discussions