Wing Chun vs Kyokushin Physical Analysis

Poor Uke

Green Belt
Reaction score
6. They hold tough full contact tournaments which, inexplicably don't allow head punches, making it really tough to pair against WC. I don't know if they can kick to the head.

This was brought in due to the the number of deaths and serious permenant injuries that were occuring in Kykushin tournies, which traditionally were, anything goes.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This was brought in due to the the number of deaths and serious permenant injuries that were occuring in Kykushin tournies, which traditionally were, anything goes.

Interesting. Were those injuries due to the lack of gloves and headgear? I find it unlikely that Kyokushin fighters hit harder that boxers and Muay Thai fighters.

If you want to make a fighting sport safer, you have to either restrict techniques, use protection (gloves, headgear, etc.), or restrict power (limited-contact). Different kinds of sport fighting competitions use some combination of these restrictions to achieve an acceptably safe level of competition. Obviously, the degree and nature of the restrictions determines the character and appeal of the contest. It is just the idea of totally restricting head shots that I found surprising in a system priding itself on "realism". It seems that that approach compromises the nature of a pugilistic or percussive sport more than the approaches used in other such sports, such as Boxing, MT, UFC, and so forth. Now, that said, I have no problem with any group competing according to whatever rules they find useful. The problem arises when you try to use these kind of competitions to compare the effectiveness of different styles.

Poor Uke

Green Belt
Reaction score
Kyokushin does allow head shots if they are wearing gloves whilst sparring just not in comps which are bare fist.

Latest Discussions