Wing Chun Video Demo

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Fandabidoze! Loved it! More!!! Had to watch it a few times, just to annoy mr mrs, and because watching him elbow a guy in the face made me chuckle. :samurai:

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Good vid! I saw lots of karate, aikido, and jujutsu. I never knew that wing chun was so involved! Is all wing chun like this?

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
bcbernam777 said:
mmmmmmmmmmmmm :idunno:

Details? I assume that you've practiced wing chun a while from your posts...

bcbernam777

Brown Belt
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
Details? I assume that you've practiced wing chun a while from your posts...

For a while, I train one on one with Sifu Fung ping boi (Derek Fung) I dont particulary like videos because they tend to distort things. But I must be honest, the form's where jerky and forced, the oponant students hung there fists out and did not maintain a correct unerstanding of Wing Chun concepts. giving up their own centreline, not maintaining a proper fighting distance. Sorry no offence intended but I cannot be impressed with this demonstration.

yipman_sifu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
They are from the Leung ting's organization Wing Tsun. Well not bad, but still I saw some more proffesional people.
Like our friend mentioned, practise is better than all of these videos and shows.

swiftpete

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I don't know much about wing chun and won't pretend to. The guy looks like he knows how to hurt someone, but the thing that i couldn't help thinking was that it looked like he was showing off to the camera by hurting the students too much. The guy in the hold at the end looks like he's suffering a bit and I'm sure the chap he elbowed in the mouth probably wasn't feeling too happy after either. Do you need to elbow someone in the face just to demonstrate that you could? Looked like he has a control problem.
But cheers for the video, enjoyed it anyway!

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
swiftpete said:
I don't know much about wing chun and won't pretend to. The guy looks like he knows how to hurt someone, but the thing that i couldn't help thinking was that it looked like he was showing off to the camera by hurting the students too much. The guy in the hold at the end looks like he's suffering a bit and I'm sure the chap he elbowed in the mouth probably wasn't feeling too happy after either. Do you need to elbow someone in the face just to demonstrate that you could? Looked like he has a control problem.
But cheers for the video, enjoyed it anyway!

That's what I was thinking too. An interesting video nonetheless. Thanks! :)

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, looks like he wanted that video to make him look good.

In my opinion he looks like he has some good skill. There is a point where a student builds great skill for technique but hasn't yet understood all the principles behind it. I have to say, he looked like some beginners do, they start chi sau and learn to "play the game" and then immediately break the understood rules for that set drill by speeding up to get a hit....it turns into a game of tag, they want to just "get the point" and some times abandon the principles to do so. Also, it seems the "students" were non reactive when he began his attacks, obviously done for the cameras sake to show the technique. No problem with that, but its not exactly reality either.

JMHO - good video though.

7sm

Franc0

Purple Belt
Reaction score
His moves looked ok, but I'm not impressed at his lack of control. Hurting students to make a video does not make for a good video.

Franco

WingChun Lawyer

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well, let´s see.

The students were scared, and either unskilled or compliant.

The teacher played cobra kai with them, he clearly used too much pressure on them. He actualy hurt them, which they were not expecting - they certainly were not going full out on HIM.

So I would say he made a promotional video at the cost of the physical integrity of his students, WITHOUT allowing them to fight back (either by picking beginners, or by telling the more experienced ones to avoid fighting back).

In short, this guy deserves a spanking, skilled or not. He qualifies as a bully in my book.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
appropriately titled that was, someone needs to do the Count Dante routine on him, that was all rather unneccessary...