wing chun kicks

A

andurilking2

how does wing chun fair as a kicking art against others such as tkd and muay thai?

OP
K

krys

Hello there.

Some years ago in France there was a WC group ( Nino Bernardo school) in the place where I trained Silat, they used to spare some times with MT peoples who came to the gym, and did quite well....

From what I understand in many WC systems kicks are taught at intermediate-advanced level.
The kicks I observed are quite unusual......
You can see a sample in the book : Secret techniques of Wing Chun Kung Fu, volume 2,
K.T. Chao & J.E. Weakland.

Hope this helps,
Christian.
Mabuhay ang filipino Silat at Arnis.

OP
G

Gwailao

well as with anything it comes down to how well the practioner can apply anything. but generally in WC we kick to the waist and below. some schools and lines vary of course, but even then ive not seen very many high kicks at all, maybe one or two in all the forms for some lines if that. Ideally hands are for hands and feet for feet. someone kicks we defend either by block or kicking with our leg. Also using your feet as in foot work, moving out of the kicks range, side step. ect... whatever works for you. And idealy we attack and defend at the smae time, so as we kick we would punch, pull, push or something if in range at the same time. Or move out of the way and kick the post leg or body, ect... same with high kicks, but we would use our hands to defend if needed.

OP
K

Kleyman97

While Wing Chun may lack a few kicks, according to Black Belt Magazine, it has one of the best kick defenses.

OP
K

Kleyman97

While Wing Chun may not have many kicks, according to Black Belt Magazine, it has one of the best kick defenses

OP
G

Gwailao

i generally take alot of thing read from a magazine with a grain of salt... even when its pro wing chun.

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by andurilking2
how does wing chun fair as a kicking art against others such as tkd and muay thai?

That depends totally on how good the practitioner is. A competent WC fighter will beat an incompetent MT or TKD fighter, vice versa. A kick is just a kick. A punch is just a punch.

streetwise

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
WC kicking is awesome in combat, the close range kicks, that don't require you to unbalance yourself to throw them, are very effective in a "rough and tumble" situation. They are pretty poor at scoring points in a competition, and lack the bone crushing total body commitment of the kickboxing techniques, but in a bar fight (I was a bouncer for a number of years) they served me very well. Of course, nothing says you can't do both WC and MT.

brothershaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Alot of the wing chun kicks are geared towards disrupting , and damaging a persons legs and balance, at a close range while the hands are also attacking. They way many of the tkd kicks are done and the purpose are quite different in my opinion. I studied tkd for awhile ( but not anymore) and also study wing chun.
During the time period I studied tkd it seemed to be more concerned with kicking targets above the waste to injure , as opposed to damaging the legs themselves (which is not something thats allowed in tournaments).
That being said I wuldnt want to be kicked by a tkd guy becuase a good kick hurts no matter where it lands!!
TKD is a long range art, wing chun is close range, muy thai seems to be a mix of both.

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It depends somewhat on what style whos teaching it and what its for
like sparing or fighting or just to look good

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's a big hindrance to sparring with wing chun or any system that uses close destructive kicks. In mantis almost all of our kicks are knee or shin, or maybe groin and kidney, not much above that. Its hard to enter a tournament and not use those kicks. I think that's why many of the really good CMAist do not participate in tourney sparring. To be really good at it you have to ignore your other kicks almost. So in that part, I agree, it depends on what your motivation is. My school stays mainly in strict applications to real world situations, so we do alot of knee kicks and even sweeps and throughs including knee breaks.

7sm

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think the nature of wing chun is close combat and that, in and of itself, is what lends wing chun to being useful even against arts like tkd. Its the same advantage we work on alot in mantis, closing the gap. Most long range fighters have trouble with someone who moves in and sticks close to them.

JMHO,
7sm

brothershaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
7 star - your comment about kicking in tournaments kind of fits with something i have been thinking about.
In most types of tournaments what you can do is limited. your hands are in gloves, and you cant attack the legs the way you have been trained because of injury/ liability. So in a kung fu tournamenet you see kick boxing,
However in a no holds barred event I would expect a kung fu guy should do better since there are less restrictions although I hear that isnt the case. I know I am off topic but just soemthing I think about.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My own personal opinion is that it takes so many many years to truly become good in kung fu at least against others with good skill levels, that those young guys who enter these competitions do not truly understand allot of their own principles.
On the other hand, I think the older more experienced guys who do understand the principles either: 1. Do not want to actually hurt anyone. (Even in the full contact fights, not many people end up with shattered knee, elbows, and crushed wind pipes) or 2. Feel they have nothing to prove, feel fighting contradicts their system, or reserve their fighting for teaching their own students.

Many probably don't agree with me, but that is what I have observed over the years.

7sm

brothershaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I can't argue with anything you said 7Star. It makes sense, but it would be nice to see quality kung fu in action, it might encourage more people to step up thier game since there would be a very public benchmark, even though fighting isnt everything.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by brothershaw
I can't argue with anything you said 7Star. It makes sense, but it would be nice to see quality kung fu in action, it might encourage more people to step up thier game since there would be a very public benchmark, even though fighting isnt everything.

Oh yeah, I know exactly what you mean. My Sigung was the east coast full contact chamion before he even began studying kung fu. He fought quite a bit after he lived at the Wah Lum Temple in Orlando, but now he wont fight at all. Of course its been like 40 years since he began his study in Kung Fu.

7sm

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by 7starmantis
That's a big hindrance to sparring with wing chun or any system that uses close destructive kicks. In mantis almost all of our kicks are knee or shin, or maybe groin and kidney, not much above that. Its hard to enter a tournament and not use those kicks. I think that's why many of the really good CMAist do not participate in tourney sparring. To be really good at it you have to ignore your other kicks almost. So in that part, I agree, it depends on what your motivation is. My school stays mainly in strict applications to real world situations, so we do alot of knee kicks and even sweeps and throughs including knee breaks.

7sm
I agree, I think most point fighting tournments are about showmanship. Where wing chung is more direct to the point, wich would eliminate anyone using showy non compact techniques.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by DeLamar.J
I agree, I think most point fighting tournments are about showmanship. Where wing chung is more direct to the point, wich would eliminate anyone using showy non compact techniques.

I think that the way point fighting is set up, long-range techniques have an edge, even if they might be weak in an actual fight--e.g., the roundhouse kick to the stomach/chest that scores so often but that a lot of fighters would wade right through.

brothershaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
From observation of different point scoring for various styles including weapons, the competitors tend to like doing things that will score point while also keeping distance. So you may see alot of lunging long range attacks so they can score and get out quikly before getting hit. This doesnt apply across the board but i have seen it quite abit.

With close range tactics so much is happening and so fast its harder to see it and score it for points.

Latest Discussions