Will Kendo Ever Be an Olympic Sport?

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So, will Kendo ever be an Olympic sport? Why or Why Not?

upnorthkyosa

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As beautiful as Kendo is, I doubt it will ever be an Olympic Sport. The rules are too complicated for most viwers. And even thought there is fencing it looks very tame compared to a couple of guys trying bash each other with Bamboo swords. I realize that is not what is happening but to the non-martial artist, and for some reason there is more of them than us(go figure), it will appear barbaric.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you compare Kendo with TKD, is it anymore brutal looking? I think that with all of the protective equipment and with all of the actions, specators would absolutely LOVE Kendo in the Olympics. I would love to train and compete in that sport, but I think that it will take to long to become an Olympic sport and I'll be too old.

A

auxprix

I think it has potential, but it needs to become more popular around the world. Both TKD and Judo were immensely popular world wide before being accepted as an olympic sport. Kendo just can't boast the numbers though.

I'd love to see it, however.

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For a sport to get into the Olympics it has to be sponsored by a country, the only country that has a large enough following to warrant a sponsirship is Japan. I do not see this happening in the near future, although it would be neat to see.

M

MountainSage

Inclusion in the Olympic games is the "Kiss of Death" for a martial art. Look at the problems that Judo and TKD are experiancing.

Mountainsage

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"kiss of death"...i don't think so...maybe just a "Small Peck of Death on the Cheek"

Kane

Black Belt
Reaction score
I’m actually quite pissed that they make beach volleyball or that one game from Canada in which you hit a ball with a broom or something in to an Olympic sport, but they didn’t make combat sports like kendo into the Olympics.

Seriously, there are a lot of worthless sports in my opinion in the Olympics. There are a lot of true sports (like kendo) that should be in the Olympics. Combat sports get little respect in the Olympics.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
come to think of it...more like a "Nick, Let's Just Be Friends Hug of Death"

(got some issues to workout...i know)

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Kendo has international appeal. There are international organizations. People across the world practice this sport. I think it could become a sport. How does an Olympic sport become a sport? I wish that there was a Kendo club up in my neck of the woods. I would join in a minute...

upnorthkyosa

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If kendo will petition the OCC and come in, do a demostration show the power and grace that the sport has to offer, it has a great chance the problem is nobody to lead them the way TKD was lead by the hands to get it in the Olympics. Just my humble opion... GOD BLESS AMERICA

baughman

White Belt
Reaction score
I believe for a sport to get into an Olympics it needs to have a governing body in 50 countrys. I am prob off by the number but I know it is around that number.

K

Kenpomachine

Plus be practiced in at least three continents and have only one governing body at world level. TKD is an exception, allowed because the second body is from North Korea and not a democratic country. This is the reason why karate hasn't been to the Olypics so far. And for them, it won't be a nick of death, as competition rules have already done their damage, hehe.

Latest Discussions