Will I get to have some skill?

Discussion in 'Beginners Corner' started by Demrottens, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Demrottens

Demrottens White Belt

I read all of these, I swear but I can't answer each one by one
    I will say yes, I have seen instructors walking around their pupils and correcting their positions like "this arm more to the left and this like that..."
    So I now understand that obviusly I need an instructor so that I actualy learn something and not just imitate what I see. That is not useful in an actual fight.
    So well, I will be studying now, and when I have money I will see if I can attend to classes.

I see I wasn't thinking right then.

If i get an instructor I will ask him everything I need.

Thank you for clarifying my ideas!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hanshi

Hanshi Yellow Belt

In order to become a legitimate martial artist one must have an instructor. And know, also, that discipline is not something one plans or "learns"; discipline is something one DOES.

3. 666

666 Orange Belt

Quality of quantity my friend, research everything you do.
    Start with basics...
    Strength training with weights or without but get a balanced routine, 2-3 times a week is more than enough if you put effort in it, quality over quantity.
    I know you wanna put everything you got into it but believe me, it's about what happens in the long run.

4. Headhunter

Headhunter Senior Master

Sure you'll get skills from training yourself....not very good skills but still skills

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. 666

666 Orange Belt

The thing is, in terms of physical fitness, everything is achievable at home, but in terms of fighting abilities and correct technique well... not so much.
    Technique may not be impossible but you do need a sparring partner.

6. Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang Grandmaster

You will need to develop:

1. Entering strategy - How to move in safely.
    2. Finish strategy - How to finish effectively.

7. Midnight-shadow

Midnight-shadow 2nd Black Belt

It's not just about having an instructor telling you where to put your hand, etc but also about the environment and training partners you get along the way. As other people have said, you cannot learn to fight by training alone all the time. What you put together in your OP is what I would call a Martial Arts inspired workout, the same as something like "Boxercise". Will it make you fit? Yes. Will it make you strong? Probably. Will it make you a good fighter? No. In order to become a good fighter you need to fight other people, there is simply no other way. Experience will trump training 90% of the time to the point where a person with no formal training but has gotten into lots of street fights will probably beat a person who has had formal training but never used their techniques on another human being.

In the words of Bruce Lee "boards don't hit back".