Why you should never cartwheel in a fight.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score

In all seriousness though, why do some people insist on doing flips and cartwheels in fights?

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Apparently Jake Mace has in his videos.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was a trend in competitive judo a few years back, where a line of teachers were teaching turn-outs and cartwheels to avoid being thrown. It would work, generally, but when it failed, the student would get broken. And that was broken in a controlled judo tournament bout, on a mat, not on the street where people cheat.

Nope, flips aren't for me. If you get thrown, accept the fall (ukemi), and if the thing is n actual fight, rely on your ground skills (Hope you've developed some by that time).

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've seen too many people get knocked out by it to take it lightly. I hope I can remember to sweep the hands if I see one up close, in person.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Where as I can't do this flippy stuff. I am impressed by it.

It is an actual trained move.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Check out Saenchai, considered by many to be the best Nak Muay today. Cartwheel kicking is one of his main knockout attacks.

Yeah that is brutal. I can do the cartwheel kick. But I have never been game to try it sparring.

Looks like he won't go off chops sparring which is a bit comforting.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Find a video of Jake Mace actually sparring and see if he is "insisting" there.

The closest Jake Mace comes to sparring is slow motion drills.....

Back on topic, I can see how it can work but you've really got to nail it. Like most gimmicks, it has the element of surprise (nobody really expects it) but once you've seen it done once, it is a very telegraphed attack and therefore easily countered. I would also never use it in semi-contact or points sparring as it is very hard to control the power on it, and as a result you could knock out your opponent and get disqualified for using too much force.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The closest Jake Mace comes to sparring is slow motion drills.....

Back on topic, I can see how it can work but you've really got to nail it. Like most gimmicks, it has the element of surprise (nobody really expects it) but once you've seen it done once, it is a very telegraphed attack and therefore easily countered. I would also never use it in semi-contact or points sparring as it is very hard to control the power on it, and as a result you could knock out your opponent and get disqualified for using too much force.

Also you tend to rely a bit on the other guy being wary of getting messed up by the move.

If you can just walk through the shot it will loose a lot of its effectiveness.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Where as I can't do this flippy stuff. I am impressed by it.

It is an actual trained move.

Yeah but wrestling is different to fighting it's easy to do that on the ground on a padded mat where the other guy can't hit you and no risk so smashing yourself on concrete

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There was a trend in competitive judo a few years back, where a line of teachers were teaching turn-outs and cartwheels to avoid being thrown. It would work, generally, but when it failed, the student would get broken. And that was broken in a controlled judo tournament bout, on a mat, not on the street where people cheat.

Nope, flips aren't for me. If you get thrown, accept the fall (ukemi), and if the thing is n actual fight, rely on your ground skills (Hope you've developed some by that time).
I saw a clip some months ago where a judoka was thrown in competition and posted on his head to avoid the ippon. He pretty much just did a cartwheel using his head instead of his hands for base and bounced back to his feet like a cartoon character. I thought it was simultaneously one of the most impressive and most idiotic stunts I had ever seen. If I ever did something like that I would be carried off to the hospital with a broken neck.