Why When Where

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The first question is why TKD? I mean there are so many Arts out there why did you make that choice and for what reason?

When is a tougher question, when is the appropiate time to use your TKD training and to what extinct are you willing to go with it?

Where is the best scenio for you to use your training, I.E. the streets, back alley, super market, or any and all places?

When you practice you SD with TKD are you going the extra mile, I mean are you using street clothes so you can see what kick work and do not work well for you? Next are you being tought the rules that aplly when protecting yourself in your area, I mean what constitutue as SD and what is over the line? Are there any type of practcal weapon training envolved, like blade, kubatons, keys, a women purse or anything ofthis nature?

Looking forward to your replys.

RED

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The first question is why TKD? I mean there are so many Arts out there why did you make that choice and for what reason?

When is a tougher question, when is the appropiate time to use your TKD training and to what extinct are you willing to go with it?

Where is the best scenio for you to use your training, I.E. the streets, back alley, super market, or any and all places?

When you practice you SD with TKD are you going the extra mile, I mean are you using street clothes so you can see what kick work and do not work well for you? Next are you being tought the rules that aplly when protecting yourself in your area, I mean what constitutue as SD and what is over the line? Are there any type of practcal weapon training envolved, like blade, kubatons, keys, a women purse or anything ofthis nature?

Looking forward to your replys.

1. Growing up I spent my saturday afternoons watching Kung Fu theater in awe of the martial arts. In high school I a friend invited me to attend a free TKD/Hapkido class that was held in the school gym in the evenings. I went and I was hooked. I'm sure if it was Karate, Kung Fu or I would be obsessed with what ever it was. But TKD fit my body type well at the time. Thin and lanky. I've attended different styled school but I have always returned to my first love...TKD.

2. Anytime a person is a victim I believe it is the responsibility of a Martial Artist to help. To what extent depends on the situation.

3. Anywhere needed. There really isn't a "best" place to be attacked I guess I'm not sure what you mean.

4. I've often practiced with blue jeans and shoes on. I even put on a pair of steel toe work boots to practice with.

Anytime you have to use self defence it quickly becomes an offence, so where is that line, I would say the minute you defend yourself. But when a perpertator attacks he is responsible for the outcome no matter what condition he is in. Ohio permits citizen arrests, I'm sure you can hold an assailant until law enforcement arrives, no matter what condition he is in.

Weapons. The thing about weapons is they can be taken off you and used against you. So whatever you deside to carry be ready to defend against it too.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The guy I was dating at the time (now my ex-husband) talked me into it. The rest is, as they say, history!
When you or someone you care about, or someone who needs your help, is in danger.
Wherever yourself, someone you care about, or someone who needs your help, is in danger. The location is less important than the situation. In some situations, what my training tells me to do is leave before I get killed too, and call for help.
Sometimes, we wear street clothes. We always talk about when/where/what. We discuss using whatever is available as appropriate to what's going on in class.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why TKD? At the time, it was the only active MA club at my college. (Fort Lewis College in Durango CO) It had enough parallels to the Karate I'd briefly taken years before that I felt right at home.

I've only used TKD once since I've started training, and that was fairly oblique. I was in a food court at a local mall, and I went past one group of poeple only to be walking into a Kerry Von Erich style tornado punch (a guy was just goofing around spinning with a fist out in other words) I slipped it, and went on without the guy noticing that he nearly punched me. (He hollered an apology after me when his GF pointed out that he'd nearly hit me.) I think anything other than getting out of the way would've been over the top as a response to that.

In a more serious situation, I'd mainly be looking to end the confrontation as quickly as possible by whatever means. I don't really train any weapons. I've been to a few seminars (knife and stick), and we don't train in street clothes, though I do try to buy clothes that don't restrict my movement.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some what like Marginal TKD was the only ( read 1st) martial art to be taught in the area I was living in back in the 70's. The teacher heard I was interested in learning more about the martial arts and I became his first official student.
As for when and where to use it. I never had to use that aspect of my martial arts training and to be truthful I will never use any of the SD taught in that class. Way to much emphasis on high "pretty" kicks that I find impractical in the real world where a fight occurs. Not saying a well placed high kick can not get the job done but I would hate to miss one in the street

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I started appreciating the MAs when I was very little but until I was an adult there were no places to train where I lived. While serving in the Navy, I was curious about an ATA school so I started with them. I wasn't satisfied with their style of sparring and changed to a school affiliated with the WTF and have been happy since.

Just as in my law enforcement training, only when I or someone elses life is dependant upon my use of what I have learned.

Any where and any time, any of us could be called upon to protect life and limb.

I have not trained specifically in street clothes, but it is a good idea, and I may try that with one of my classes.

Looking forward to your replys.[/quote]

Latest Discussions