Why Traditional Karate Is Not Effective for Self-Defense

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was not how this started.

The question is not can Wado people defend themselves.

The Issue is -was Wado-ryu created primarily as a means of self defence - and the answer is a resounding no IMO!

Only you are concerned with that issue, no one else is, I asked if Wado people can defend themselves because that's what the thread is about therefore the only pertinent question to ask.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've read somewhere that Otsuka likened Wado to Aikido with Teeth (or maybe I just made that up :) ).
Either way - I think he recognised that Motobu was perhaps a practical martial artist over a scholastic one (that perhaps he came to realise that Funakoshi was)!
Whether you read it or made it up, I like that. Now I need to go find some Wado videos to see what it looks like.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'm very confused by this thread. A suggestion that you guys are free to ignore. I think it's probably more constructive to ask someone what they meant than to tell them what they meant. Friendlier, too.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You really can't resist can you? As I said anything I post up you have to make an adverse comment on or try to be smart? it was a typo, fairly obvious. :cool:

Sojobo

Green Belt
Reaction score
You really can't resist can you? As I said anything I post up you have to make an adverse comment on or try to be smart? it was a typo, fairly obvious. :cool:
No, genuinely I thought Tt was a term I wasn't aware of.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
View from the outside ...
Sojobo, you come across as an arrogant know-it-all with a very large chip on your shoulder. We get that you feel that Wado ryu is different form other karate styles. We get that you liken it more to koryu training and feel that it's not just for self defense. However, this thread was a very general discussion about whether traditional karate is actually effective for self-defense. Your ranting, while almost entertaining enough to be worth the irritation factor, has nothing to do with the original discussion.

You've made abundantly clear that you don't care what us underlings on Martial Talk think of you, but I thought it was worth the attempt to get you to stop and take a look around before diving back into your pointless ranting.

Perhaps you could start a new thread discussing Wado ryu in particular. That might actually be informative.

Sojobo

Green Belt
Reaction score
You've made abundantly clear that you don't care what us underlings on Martial Talk think of you, but I thought it was worth the attempt to get you to stop and take a look around before diving back into your pointless ranting.
Some underlings...not all.

Sojobo

Green Belt
Reaction score
My ranting isn't pointless by the way - and I am British so everything a write should be read with one eye on the sarcastic - it's the way we roll!

Sojobo

Green Belt
Reaction score
Perhaps you could start a new thread discussing Wado ryu in particular. That might actually be informative.
I'd love to, but unfortunately I think it would degenerate into why Wado is lacking something and that can be replaced by the likes of Mr Abernethy and co.

Sojobo

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sojobo, you come across as an arrogant know-it-all with a very large chip on your shoulder.
pgsmith.. I have always respected your posts here and other forums - can you specify what post I came over as arrogant? I'm an engineer by trade and dislike generalisations.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm also British and I don't find your posts humorous or even sarcastic.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
You do not HAVE any underlings here. This, in part, might be why pgsmith characterized your posts as arrogant.
"Underlings" was pgsmith's term. Sojobo's use in his response was, I think, a little tongue in cheek. I notice you're not taking pgsmith to task for the three paragraph long ad hominem. Is it possible you are taking sides, and maybe even making things worse?

Latest Discussions