Why I love Capitalism

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
But when you talk about something destroying a culture, I think TGace sums it up pretty well. The individual members of that society/group/community each make their own decisions about how it will evolve.

I would say that is true to a certain extent. However, there is a difference in power between individuals in a society and a difference in the amount of zeitgiest one can generate. A CEO has MUCH more power to affect society when compared to an average millworker...

OP
Don Roley

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
A CEO has MUCH more power to affect society when compared to an average millworker...

And as long as he does not use force then that's ok. If someone is more popular, or speaks better, or any one of a million reasons, they are going to affect those around them more than others. A union leader could forge millions of people into a politcal block and have far more power than a CEO.

The AFL/CIO has a lot of power given to them by the workers. You don't have problems with that I assume. I do not either as a rule. But what I say about the CEOs goes for the unions as well as the AARP or just a lot of individuals thinking along the same line. No person or group has the right to force another to do anything- including monetary matters.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don the principles of capitalism are great! Unfortunately, many powerful and influential people have less than altruistic motivations and they cause the problems. Capitalism on it's own is cool, but unfortunately, even that can be exploited by bad people.

As an FYI, I am not a fan of unions and I do not belong to any.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
And as long as he does not use force then that's ok. If someone is more popular, or speaks better, or any one of a million reasons, they are going to affect those around them more than others. A union leader could forge millions of people into a politcal block and have far more power than a CEO.

The AFL/CIO has a lot of power given to them by the workers. You don't have problems with that I assume. I do not either as a rule. But what I say about the CEOs goes for the unions as well as the AARP or just a lot of individuals thinking along the same line. No person or group has the right to force another to do anything- including monetary matters.

A union is a democratic organization. A corporation is not. I'm not justifying abuse, however, I'm giving a little rationale as to why I would trust a union over a corporation. Speaking plainly, unions represent more people's interests.

OP
Don Roley

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
Don the principles of capitalism are great! Unfortunately, many powerful and influential people have less than altruistic motivations and they cause the problems. Capitalism on it's own is cool, but unfortunately, even that can be exploited by bad people.

Which is why you need a goverment to prevent a factory from polluting the area. But in terms of a sale between two sides- no problem.

A union is a democratic organization. A corporation is not. I'm not justifying abuse, however, I'm giving a little rationale as to why I would trust a union over a corporation. Speaking plainly, unions represent more people's interests.

And goverments have represented people's interests when they enslaved the blacks, took land away from the indians, etc. There are plenty of cases where the majority was quite happy to give the shaft to the minority. One person, or few. There is no difference. Both should have a right to do what they want as long as they don't use force against others. Saying that you have numbers on your side and that makes it correct is a justification for gang rape.

Remember, we have to look out for the interests of everybody. Your last line seems to justify the expoloitation of the minority, whomever they may be.

Latest Discussions