Why Do I Train With Sword?

OP
C

Calm Intention

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
You are most wrong. I can see quite clearly from here what type of person you are. When you let slip your comment about being in the 80 percentile, it was a window into your soul. You backed away from it, because otherwise it would have been a problem just as you have backed away from other statements. You can tell a person by the things they write. You can especially tell what sort of person they are when things are not going their way.

And the fact remains that you wish to be counted as a person who studies the sword. You don't study the sword- you play in your backyard with one. And as long as people may read this board and think to follow your example, it is almost a civic duty to make it really really clear that you are not.

When you comment on an open forum, then you are going to get comments. And from the first post in this thread you tried carrying over the matter of how you were treated and put your spin on things. That is another glimpse into what sort of person you are.

Don,
I don't study the sword, and I never said that I did(check the title of the thread here please).
I backed away from some things, because I was foolish when I said them, and I believe I explained why at the time.
As to 'things going my way', that is a bit ambiguous considering my opponents here(yes opponents it seems to me), keep harping on one or two things I mistaked on, leave out the good, and at times it seems like deliberate mischaracterization. To me, thats offensive.

I know the duty you and the others have to 'make sure/certain' that both I and anyone else who does what I am doing, does not, and that you are trying to set the best example.

Now, I have said similar things to the last passage numerous times, but regardless of my awareness of these things, either you or someone else will come back with some fault. Its bewildering to me to say the least.

I will accept one thing now that I have not before, it is 'play'.
I was resistant to this definition for a few reasons, and I guess all were just personal.
I think my umbrage is do to some personal issues, and I've been projecting on everyone here- to one degree or another.

But Don.,... do you really 'know my soul'? I mean 'window to'....thats a bit much no?

I mean, I care about the world. Usually I'm on some political discussion forum. I also dabble in the 'special relativity' board of some physics sites(though I know zippo of physics).....but I do believe(like others), that consciousness is the unified field(or theory of everything).
I even have my own personal theory that goes beyond some of the comments of those in the know in this area, but I'm straying at the moment.

I should bow out and leave the mat here, and I am sorry if I caused disharmony.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Calm Intention said:
I should bow out and leave the mat here, and I am sorry if I caused disharmony.

That may be the best bet. Take about three months off from posting and try to take a look into your soul. Don't expect it to be easy. People can often see things in us that we ourselves cannot. And we do our best to cover over things we do not want to admit to ourselves.

When things are calmer, and you can be more objective, you may cringe when you see what you have wrote. You would not be the first and would join a heck of a lot of other people here on Martialtalk. The ones that don't take a break and step back to try to look objectively tend to not last long.

OP
C

Calm Intention

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
That may be the best bet. Take about three months off from posting and try to take a look into your soul. Don't expect it to be easy. People can often see things in us that we ourselves cannot. And we do our best to cover over things we do not want to admit to ourselves

Don,
I think you're talking about character, or possibly spirit, but this 'soul' thing that you reference once more, I think you're over-stepping when you claim insight to this.
You also could tell by what I wrote, that this comment about 'my soul' bothered me, but you still selectively took this from everything I said.

I don't think we even have a semantics problem here, so why don't you explain how you peer into others souls.
I can't 'leave the mat'(per se), without having some final closure and understanding to this.

Edmund BlackAdder

<B>Rabid Wolverine</B>
Reaction score
I stand between the Dorkness and the Not Bright
Calm Intention said:
Don,
I think you're talking about character, or possibly spirit, but this 'soul' thing that you reference once more, I think you're over-stepping when you claim insight to this.
You also could tell by what I wrote, that this comment about 'my soul' bothered me, but you still selectively took this from everything I said.

I don't think we even have a semantics problem here, so why don't you explain how you peer into others souls.
I can't 'leave the mat'(per se), without having some final closure and understanding to this.
I use a magic 8 ball myself. It tends to be quite accurate.

OP
C

Calm Intention

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Edmund BlackAdder said:
Yes, they are.

Personally, the insults to defend the un-initiated(but directed at me.....obviously), are revealing of yours/others.....own weak character.

I've insulted no one here; I've only challenged after others have excerpted some of my comments.
I'm actually very angry about this, and I think some of you should look at yourselves when you make some of these comments of yours.

Yes, defend and protect those who are naive to the dangers; but minus my direct involvement in the art/philosophy/discipline,,,, I've never(other than a teenie mini cut), hurt myself in self practice.
I know that bothers all of you, but thats my reality...deal with it, and stop your attacks- I dont' respect it, as much as you disrespect my own short-comings.

****still, we await Don to tell us all about our 'souls'.
The moderator(Lisa),,, has no problem with Don's comment on that??
The others remain silent...hmmmm.

Don? Its about my spirit and character,, not about your insight to my 'soul'! I hope that was your mistake, and not an attempt to try me.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mod. Note.

Please, keep the conversation polite and respectful.

-G Ketchmark / shesulsa
-MT Super Moderator

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it's clear that Don's original intention, as well as everyone else's, was (and still is) that you need to seek out a qualified instructor and learn the authentic art of the sword rather than playing with it.

Anyone can swing a sword or a stick or whatever. But to learn the "why's" and to truly grasp the spirit of the art you need a teacher.

So rather than argue, I think it would be best for you to simply listen to those who have already traveled the portion of the path upon which you're standing, and heed their advice.

OP
C

Calm Intention

Orange Belt
Reaction score
pstarr said:
I think it's clear that Don's original intention, as well as everyone else's, was (and still is) that you need to seek out a qualified instructor and learn the authentic art of the sword rather than playing with it.

Anyone can swing a sword or a stick or whatever. But to learn the "why's" and to truly grasp the spirit of the art you need a teacher.

So rather than argue, I think it would be best for you to simply listen to those who have already traveled the portion of the path upon which you're standing, and heed their advice.

Well said Pstarr, but Don is mistaken on this 'soul' thing, and I take umbrage to that.
I admit I have problems of character and spirit, but when someone professes to insight our soul, they are over-stretching things and insulting too(even if they don't recognize it).

As to 'anyone swing a sword or stick', well there are degrees of this.
I have said over and over that I don't have the 'trained/formal' level of proficiency(though oddly, only one person seems to have recognized this),
but I 'do' have a level of control and awareness that is far beyond the average.

Nope, I'm not 'anyone', and I am not trying to confuse the difference----I just hope that others 'do not' either.

Chris deMonch

White Belt
Reaction score
Criminy is this discussion really still going on? What are you even arguing at this point?
From where I sit, even the title of this thread is a misnomer, as you don't "train with a sword." You've got bladed weapons that you mess around with, which if it makes you feel fine and dandy then fine. However, it's not "training with a sword" and no one who actually trains is going to validate your practice for you. If you're interested in how to use the Japanese sword then find training. Don't go off about how cool and close what you're doing on your own is and expect to get anything other than rolling of the eyes.
You seem to acknowledge the need for training but are not at a point in life where you can pursue it. That's fine. JSA is an expensive and time consuming path.
However, this does not mean that whatever practice you've concocted on your own is a reasonable facsimile or anything to be impressed by for the martial community at large and the sword community in general. If you're training that's great. If you're not then your opinions on the matter are of no particular interest.
It would be like me, Chris deMonch, legendary drunk, lecher, and kenshi extraordinaire, with my BFA in Animation in tow butting my head into a room full of bacteriologists (for argument's sake) who are in the middle of a heated discussion about germs. If I were interested in the subject I would just keep my mouth shut and listen to the people in the know, not interject with my opinions formed from watching Outbreak or something like that.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Calm Intention said:
Well said Pstarr, but Don is mistaken on this 'soul' thing, and I take umbrage to that.
I admit I have problems of character and spirit, but when someone professes to insight our soul, they are over-stretching things and insulting too(even if they don't recognize it).

No, it is really simple. You can tell what sort of person someone is by the way they act and write. It is just a simple as that.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Moderator Note:

Please keep the discussion at a mature, respectful level. Please review our posting policy in the rules section regarding sniping.

Feel free to use the Ignore feature to ignore members whose posts you do not wish to read (it is at the bottom of each member's profile).

Thank you.

-G Ketchmark / shesulsa
-MT Super Moderator-

soul_sword34

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Charles Mahan said:
I don't know anyone in the traditional JSA world who trains for practical modern self defense. That's just not the point any longer.
Sword techniques are very easily transfered to the empty hand same as calligraphy. Personally I train with the sword for many reasons but the most important is to control my mind. I have a terrible disorder and if I don't practice then I literally have not faced the enemy. Martial Arts helps me win. It just so happens that the sword is in my hand for whatever reason I feel naked without it.

karateka

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
the sword is a difficult weapon to master , and owning a sword doesnt givr you the ability to kill anyone. a sword needs to be trained with, where as a gun is lethal in the hands of anyone. this removes any challange and elegance associated with use of weapons that are too easy to work. in days gone by weapons were created, and needed to be mastered. modern weapons like firearms, explosives are much easier to opperate. there is no tradition in hunting deer with a deer-seeking missile.

tradition is important, and swords have much tradition which varies by sword.

also swords and sticks are extentions of your body, and there is greater elegance tradition and honour in using your body rather than say a firearm, which allows anyone too kill anyone else with the pull of a trigger, the force is constant by all users, no one can make a gun shoot harder or faster or longer than anyone else, but again there are greater variables when extentions of your body are used.

Charles Mahan

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I disagree. Any idiot can pull a trigger, but that same idiot can swing a sword. Hitting a target at a range of 2 miles with a strong crosswind is another thing altogether. It is possible BTW. Learning how to use modern tools of warfare can be everybit as complicated as learning the proper ways of using a sword.

And yes a person with a proper understanding of trajectories can make a bullet go quite a bit further than someone who doesn't have the same knowledge.

soul_sword34

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
karateka said:
the sword is a difficult weapon to master , and owning a sword doesnt givr you the ability to kill anyone. a sword needs to be trained with, where as a gun is lethal in the hands of anyone. this removes any challange and elegance associated with use of weapons that are too easy to work. in days gone by weapons were created, and needed to be mastered. modern weapons like firearms, explosives are much easier to opperate. there is no tradition in hunting deer with a deer-seeking missile.

tradition is important, and swords have much tradition which varies by sword.

also swords and sticks are extentions of your body, and there is greater elegance tradition and honour in using your body rather than say a firearm, which allows anyone too kill anyone else with the pull of a trigger, the force is constant by all users, no one can make a gun shoot harder or faster or longer than anyone else, but again there are greater variables when extentions of your body are used.

First, if you have two arms and two legs that by nature can be dangerous. Owning a sword does give you the ability to kill, that is why we train. Training makes us less dangerous and more in control. While the art itself is "elegant", graceful, the reality of what you are training to do is not. There is nothing beautiful about decapitation or Sepuku only in the eyes of romantacism.

Second, when you train diligently in one thing all other things become possible. Firearms themselves are no different than the sword and require the same respect and training to be "mastered". Any fool can kill with a sword and any fool can kill with a Glock. Each requires the same discipline and training. Each is equally deadly and finally each is an extention of the body. Take CQB for example and you will see what I mean there is no "pulling" of the trigger but a squeeze. Draw, stance, Haragei, control, Mushin they all apply. You said, "no one can make a gun shoot harder or faster or longer than anybody else". I see what you're trying to say but that is inaccurate. When you say "harder" I think of vital accuracy and when you say "faster" I think of target aquisition.

Latest Discussions