Why did you join the martial arts and has your reason for joining changed?

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Just a question to everyone out there. Why did you join the martial arts and has your reason for joining changed? I know mine has how about yours?

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well I don't think your reasoning for joining can change, because you've already joined, but the reasons I continue are different, (well, not different, but more numerous) than why I started.

I started so I could distract myself and get rid of my anger and to stop cutting myself.

I continue because it's fun and I want to be able to defend myself in any situation

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I joined because I wanted to do what the late Bruce Lee was doing. That was back in the mid 80's. Now, I am getting back into it because I love the conditioning that it brings to my mind and body. I also, like to help others learn as well.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
my father tought in the military had no choice in the matter, later in life it was my choice and found out I enjoyed the workouts and the competition. I would not change a thing except learned to enjoy the benefits earlier in life. My father was right once its get in your blood you can't replace it with anything in life. GOD BLESS AMERICA

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I originally joined because I was tired of being picked on in school and had no self confidence. However, once I joined it touched something deep inside of me and knew I would always practice. I still am with the same organization. Kinda funny seeing all these instructors that were so energetic being elder statesman in the organization and wearing reading glasses to see. I've gone from the young punk with too much energy to respected instructor judging at the same table as these guys.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I joined to get an excuse to wear pajamas out in public
I stayed becasue wearing pajamas out in public gets some adverse reactions

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny, Fearless-you are fearless!

I joined because my then 13 yr old daughter practically dragged me to-sheesh what a nagger! :) Not so sure about what my son thought at first, but he taught me alot of forms, helped with my breaking and I helped him with his nunchuku form for competition.

I stayed because I loved it, the hard workouts, the breaking, the forms, the competition, not so much the sparring until red belt. I liked the goal, testing structure of it. I liked the relationships of really great people that are in it--well most. ;)

And now, I like teaching, giving the joy to others, hoping they dig deep and find themselves, and become strong. TW

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I joined because of movie called "Kung Fu Gold" with Bruce Li.

A 6 yr old kid in Dunn N.C....now that was impressionable!
I wanted to do what I saw Bruce Li do in the movie....beat up 300 people with out any weapons!!!
Yep....I wrong.

But I found out at an early age..I wanted to learn all I could just because of the diversity.
33 yrs later, I'm still learning!

:asian:

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bammx2 said:
I wanted to do what I saw Bruce Li do in the movie....beat up 300 people with out any weapons!!!
Yep....I wrong.
I don't think you were wrong. You can beat up more than 300 people. If you meant all at once or all in a row though, well.....

you may need my crew's help. You can borrow them:

:knight: :2pistols: :samurai: :uzi: :ninja: :armed: :sig::tank:

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
oh yeah, I didn't notice that. It's an amphiboly!

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ninja Turtles!!!!

Thanks for the use of yer crew Samantha
icon10.gif

Beat 300 people?! Do you have ANY idea how exhausted I would be after the first 75?!?