Why choose Systema?

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If someone was martial arts shopping, why should they choose Systema over another art?

R

RobP

For me it was several reasons:
- the chance to break free from the limitations of what I had been learning
- the fact that Systema deals with all types of situation and isn't limited to just one method
- the fact that the teachers are all highly experienced professionals and the art has been used and thoroughly tested
- the fact that it has cultural roots similar to my own and encompasses more than "combat techniques"
- having trained with a lot of good teachers in my time, I've never met anyone as capable as Vladimir and Mikhail, more than that they are both gentlemen
- no grades, no bull, no masters, no false promises.

As to why anyone else should choose Systema, it depends on what they want, where they are in their training / life and a bunch of other reasons. At the very least I recommend any serious MAist to at least train once with Vladimir or Mikhail.

cheers

Rob

R

RobP

Yes, things like the dousing, as well as the various types of massage and manipulation, the breathing and posture exercises and so on. On another level there is a stong connection to the Russian church with the leading teachers too.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I didn't know about the church connection, or the massage. Do Systema practitioners learn special massage techniques then? Are they self-massage like Dr. Gyi teaches in Bando or regular massage?

I dated a girl who was Russian Orthodox while I was in college. Her parents had moved here from the USSR. I learned that Russian Orthodox holidays are different from ours--they fell whenever she had a midterm exam.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador
I didn't know about the church connection, or the massage. Do Systema practitioners learn special massage techniques then? Are they self-massage like Dr. Gyi teaches in Bando or regular massage?

I dated a girl who was Russian Orthodox while I was in college. Her parents had moved here from the USSR. I learned that Russian Orthodox holidays are different from ours--they fell whenever she had a midterm exam.

So...did she give you a Russian Massage technique, or did she leave you to a "self-massage."
:boing2:

T

TheLady

Do Systema practitioners learn special massage techniques then?

Yes. We punch you. ;)

I started Systema because it looked like something I could do and it was effective. I haven't studied any other art so I can't make comparisons.

Janice

Latest Discussions