Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaiah90

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Here's an explanation why people should stop teaching BJJ for self defense.

Little to no striking
- BJJ has little to no striking. BJJ claims that you can subdue an attacker peacefully without striking or kicking. The problem is that if you have to avoid strikes and kicks to counter them, your art is weak in those areas. If you have to use strikes or kicks, you acknowledge grappling isn't enough to engage in combat.

The lack of training to deal with realistic strikes or kicks is going to set you up to get beaten. BJJ practitioners who got attacked on the streets were repeatedly punched in the head. Some got beat up. That's not self-defense. More like self-expense.

The rules in BJJ restrict what you can do as far as striking and kicking among other things except grappling. This video demonstrates how real ground-fighting looks like in the streets.

No weapons - Second problem with BJJ is lack of weapons training. If you're not training to deal with weapons like knives or guns, you're setting yourself up to get seriously hurt or killed. Most BJJ practitioners who get attacked are shot, stabbed, or beaten to death with weapons. When you grapple, you briefly expose your body to get attacked with strikes. I even tested it out in sparring. Put my opponent in a rear-naked choke and he hit me in the face with a pretend melee weapon.

Worse, you got these BJJ guys teaching static and flashy unrealistic techniques. They only work when your opponent is complying. They look something like this.

This is the reality.

Ground-fighting is terrible for self defense - Last problem with BJJ is ground-fighting. It's perhaps the worst things for self defense. Are you really going to try to put me in a submission while i'm trying to beat you up and shoot or stab you on the ground? Are you going to be hugging and kissing me by then? Taking it to the ground is bad because you can't move well, your vision is limited, your body is exposed, list goes on.

Let's not forget multiple attackers and the environment. It's for those reasons that BJJ will get you beaten or killed on the streets. It's suitable mainly for sport or maybe if you're a bouncer or cop trying to subdue a criminal.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh god here we go.....tell me have you ever trained bjj or are you just making up stuff you've read on YouTube like most of your so called facts

OP
Isaiah90

Isaiah90

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Oh god here we go.....tell me have you ever trained bjj or are you just making up stuff you've read on YouTube like most of your so called facts

I use some BJJ techniques, but they are mostly stand up grappling and i modified them to make them work. Other than that, i don't really use the rest of BJJ.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow "hugging and kissing" that truly shows how ignorant you are. I'd expect that out of a 12 year old With no training not a grown man who trains martial arts.....

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I use some BJJ techniques, but they are mostly stand up grappling and i modified them to make them work. Other than that, i don't really use the rest of BJJ.
He didnt ask if you use it, he asked if you've trained it. what is your experience? not years...have you learned from youtube videos/online defense courses, have you participated in job related SD courses (LEO.bodyguard/healthcare), have you trained in a dojo, did you compete in a martial art? You've been asked these multiple times and have not actually answered them once.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
He didnt ask if you use it, he asked if you've trained it. what is your experience? not years...have you learned from youtube videos/online defense courses, have you participated in job related SD courses (LEO.bodyguard/healthcare), have you trained in a dojo, did you compete in a martial art? You've been asked these multiple times and have not actually answered them once.
Then there's the answer. In my opinion if someone can't answer a basic question like that then it's obvious if they're telling the truth or not

OP
Isaiah90

Isaiah90

Orange Belt
Reaction score

No i don't see how that's relevant to what i said. It changes nothing.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Maybe someone should call the United States military and tell them they are doing it all wrong.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

Little to no striking
- BJJ has little to no striking. BJJ claims that you can subdue an attacker peacefully without striking or kicking. The problem is that if you have to avoid strikes and kicks to counter them, your art is weak in those areas. If you have to use strikes or kicks, you acknowledge grappling isn't enough to engage in combat.

The lack of training to deal with realistic strikes or kicks is going to set you up to get beaten. BJJ practitioners who got attacked on the streets were repeatedly punched in the head. Some got beat up. That's not self-defense. More like self-expense.

The rules in BJJ restrict what you can do as far as striking and kicking among other things except grappling. This video demonstrates how real ground-fighting looks like in the streets.

No weapons - Second problem with BJJ is lack of weapons training. If you're not training to deal with weapons like knives or guns, you're setting yourself up to get seriously hurt or killed. Most BJJ practitioners who get attacked are shot, stabbed, or beaten to death with weapons. When you grapple, you briefly expose your body to get attacked with strikes. I even tested it out in sparring. Put my opponent in a rear-naked choke and he hit me in the face with a pretend melee weapon.

Worse, you got these BJJ guys teaching static and flashy unrealistic techniques. They only work when your opponent is complying. They look something like this.

This is the reality.

Ground-fighting is terrible for self defense - Last problem with BJJ is ground-fighting. It's perhaps the worst things for self defense. Are you really going to try to put me in a submission while i'm trying to beat you up and shoot or stab you on the ground? Are you going to be hugging and kissing me by then? Taking it to the ground is bad because you can't move well, your vision is limited, your body is exposed, list goes on.

Let's not forget multiple attackers and the environment. It's for those reasons that BJJ will get you beaten or killed on the streets. It's suitable mainly for sport or maybe if you're a bouncer or cop trying to subdue a criminal.
If this isn't satire, it should be.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So...you’ve never trained BJJ, have you...?

C’mon, the cat’s outta the bag, go ahead and admit it. Time for an intervention...

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
BJJ will get you beaten or killed on the streets. It's suitable mainly for sport or maybe if you're a bouncer or cop trying to subdue a criminal.

What if I'm a civilian trying to subdue a criminal who has just tried to assault me?

Is the police uniform or one of those black suits bouncers wear some sort of anti-death super shield that means grappling is good for them and not me?

Or maybe it's because you think that anyone who isn't a cop or a bouncer should be trying to kill, not subdue.

You have prison fantasies don't you?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What if I'm a civilian trying to subdue a criminal who has just tried to assault me?

Is the police uniform or one of those black suits bouncers wear some sort of anti-death super shield that means grappling is good for them and not me?

Or maybe it's because you think that anyone who isn't a cop or a bouncer should be trying to kill, not subdue.

You have prison fantasies don't you?
The time for reason is long past.

It is now time for ridicule.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So...you’ve never trained BJJ, have you...?

C’mon, the cat’s outta the bag, go ahead and admit it. Time for an intervention...
I took a look at his YouTube channel. Most of it seems to be just talking about how this art or that art will get you killed. Not much showing him actually doing anything. From the little bit I have found of him moving, I can just about guarantee he has no BJJ training.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I took a look at his YouTube channel. Most of it seems to be just talking about how this art or that art will get you killed. Not much showing him actually doing anything. From the little bit I have found of him moving, I can just about guarantee he has no BJJ training.
There’s a shocker.

Sorry, Tony. You’re one of my favorite guys here. I just had to.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

He’s right then. Attempting to use BJJ will set him up to get beaten.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Little to no striking

This is the reality.

This is one of my favorite things written in a long while.

When you grapple, you briefly expose your body to get attacked with strikes. I even tested it out in sparring. Put my opponent in a rear-naked choke and he hit me in the face with a pretend melee weapon.

A pretend melee weapon. That is so damn adorable I want to give you a hug.

But, alas, it is my duty to inform you you are heretofore banished from the Island of Maui. Should you come to Maui you will be turned away at the airport.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions