who said this?

R

rmcrobertson

Apropos of Senator Kerry's having been accused last night of chopping necessary military programs like the F-14 and others, I wonder if anyone would like to take a stab at identifying the source of this quote:

"Overall, since I've been Secretary, we will have taken the five-year defense program down by well over $300 billion. That's the peace dividend. … And now we're adding to that another $50 billion … of so-called peace dividend.

Congress has let me cancel a few programs. But you've squabbled and sometimes bickered and horse-traded and ended up forcing me to spend money on weapons that don't fill a vital need in these times of tight budgets and new requirements. … You've directed me to buy more M1s, F14s, and F16s—all great systems … but we have enough of them."

Hm.

OP
A

auxprix

rmcrobertson said:
Apropos of Senator Kerry's having been accused last night of chopping necessary military programs like the F-14 and others, I wonder if anyone would like to take a stab at identifying the source of this quote:

"Overall, since I've been Secretary, we will have taken the five-year defense program down by well over $300 billion. That's the peace dividend. … And now we're adding to that another $50 billion … of so-called peace dividend.

Congress has let me cancel a few programs. But you've squabbled and sometimes bickered and horse-traded and ended up forcing me to spend money on weapons that don't fill a vital need in these times of tight budgets and new requirements. … You've directed me to buy more M1s, F14s, and F16s—all great systems … but we have enough of them."

Hm.

Is it DICK?

OP
R

rmcrobertson

Awww, you're no fun. Right the first time...it's our beloved VEEP, back when he was SecDef (see, I too read Tom Clancy) for Geo. Bush the First.

Hey! Wait a minnit!! wasn't this directly contributing--it was 1991--to the lowered defense budget that Bill Clinton always gets blamed for?

Hm.

OP
A

auxprix

rmcrobertson said:
Awww, you're no fun. Right the first time...it's our beloved VEEP, back when he was SecDef (see, I too read Tom Clancy) for Geo. Bush the First.
Allright!!! what did I win?

Hey! Wait a minnit!! wasn't this directly contributing--it was 1991--to the lowered defense budget that Bill Clinton always gets blamed for?

Hm.
Ah, spin. How I love thee.

I am a member of neither party, but it seems to me like the republicans get away with alot more than the Dems. I know the donkeys are attempting to take a tougher stance on this sort of rhetoric, but I really don't see them doing so.

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
-I have a feeling we may actually see a noticeable increase in the number of people going to the polls this time around. Then again, apathy has been this nation's worst enemy, the enemy within.

A---)

Latest Discussions