best pound for pound MMA fighter in the world

• Fedor

• Sylva

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I watched both events last night and of course the UFC claims that Anderson Sylva is the best pound for pound in the world but I am going to have to say Fedor is. Most of the fights he has had he has been undersized compaired to his opponents but he always finds a way to win IMHO there isnt anyone out there right now that can beat him.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I messed up and hit "other" and should have chosen Anderson Silva.
Fedor is great but the knock on him is that he hasn't had any really great opponents as of late. (not his fault)

Silva is on another planet though. This guy is beating guys who are NO slouch. He in all honesty could possibly carry 2 championship belts in 2 different weight classes. Now we know that lightheavyweight division is stacked so it would be no easy feat by any means but this guy is the real deal. It's about who he beats and then the way he beats them that impresses me the most. Total domination.

OP
ppko

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I messed up and hit "other" and should have chosen Anderson Silva.
Fedor is great but the knock on him is that he hasn't had any really great opponents as of late. (not his fault)

Silva is on another planet though. This guy is beating guys who are NO slouch. He in all honesty could possibly carry 2 championship belts in 2 different weight classes. Now we know that lightheavyweight division is stacked so it would be no easy feat by any means but this guy is the real deal. It's about who he beats and then the way he beats them that impresses me the most. Total domination.

Fedor cleaned out the heavy weight division in 2004 beat everyone who was anyone then, and to tell you the truth there isnt anyone there that could give him a good challenge out there still. Sylva fights in a weight class where he is much bigger than his opponents, Fedor is ussualy much smaller than his opponents, Sylva ussually stays around 215 220 when he isnt cut down to fight so it wouldnt be unrealistic for him to step up to heavy weight to fight Fedor but I honestly dont think that Sylva would stand a chance. As for records well they speak for themselves the only fight Fedor lost was due to a cut that stopped the fight

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am sorry PPKO but Sylva as of right now has to be the best. He will probaly hold coth title withen a few months. 185 and 205 the man is like unstoppable.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The problem with Fedor is he really hasn't been very active lately, He took out Tim Sylvia really quick, but apart from that it's been almost 2 years since he fought anyone that had a chance, and that was Coleman, who is arguably past his prime, another year back to Crocop... who did not do as well as expected against UFC fighters.

So to call him the best pound for pound fighter I think is a hard sell, simply because he needs to fight a few top tier heavyweights before he can take that claim.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
pound-for-pound I have to put Uriah Faber out there. Have you seen this guy? WEC champ, not sure weight class - 145 maybe? I wasn't a big fan but his complete schooling of Jens Pulver started to convert me.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
pound-for-pound I have to put Uriah Faber out there. Have you seen this guy? WEC champ, not sure weight class - 145 maybe? I wasn't a big fan but his complete schooling of Jens Pulver started to convert me.

Yes I have seen him, it would have been nice to see jen fight him a few years ago when he still was something.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anderson Sylva is BIG for his weight class, he's taller than Fedor, he walks around at Fedor's weight, fights two weight classes smaller......and he's lost 4 fights in his career.......Fedor has lost ZERO fights, and the ref stoppage doesn't count because Fedor wasn't beat and even THAT was 8 years ago!.....Fedor has never been submitted, he's never been KO'd and he's never lost a decision.

Sylva has lost one decision, been submitted twice and DQ'd one other time.

Fedor actually has be beaten by before ANYONE can argue that someone else is a better pound for pound fighter.

Sylva is a phenomenal fighter, don't get me wrong......but to quote Tim Sylvia ......as far as Fedor goes 'I'm not even sure he's a human being!'

Skpotamus

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Fedor beats UFc champions that outweight him by 40lbs+. Silva cuts 20-30 lbs to fight in his weight classes.

Silva looks great on his feet, and looks great on the ground usually, but looked kind of lackluster against Lutter, and used what were considered before then to be illegal elbows.

Fedor has played the guard game with the most dangerous guard player in mma, stood toe to toe with some of the most dangerous strikers (crocop, Sylvia) and made them all look bad at what they're best at.

A guy Fedor pummeled twice is the UFC heavyweight champ. He decimated the former UFC HW champ (longest running HW champ I believe) in less time than it took him to put on his shorts.

When Silva goes up against an actual contender in the 205 weight class, then he has a shot of taking Fedors P4P spot. Until then, Fedor is the man.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Oh, I thougth the poll only include human beings. if we are going to allow alien robot fighting machines, then Yeah I vote for Fedor :D

Skpotamus

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Oh, I thougth the poll only include human beings. if we are going to allow alien robot fighting machines, then Yeah I vote for Fedor :D

It would be horribly speciest and xenophobic to exclude non-human metallic fighting machines from the list.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tim Sylvia seems to think so!

'I'm not even sure he's a human being!' -Tim Sylvia

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
Pound for pound I think the best fighter has to be either Forrest Griffin or Matt Hughs. Although he has lost hs last two fights I still am a fan of Chuck Liddell

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
New evidence has come to light that it was not in fact a stray meteorite that wiped out the dinosaurs, but instead a time-travelling Fedor.

uh oh.

I heard somebody started converting Chuck Norris jokes in Fedor jokes, until Fedor glanced in their direction and they disappeared into a cloud of red, sticky mist.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I agree with Tim Sylvia. Fedor is probably not human. How can anyone survive being slammed like the one that Randleman hit him with and then turn around and submit the guy?

MattJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Urijah FTW. That guy is incredible.

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes I have seen him, it would have been nice to see jen fight him a few years ago when he still was something.

Jens is still something. Urijah Faber smacked him but Jens showed true grit in defeat and up until that fight was undefeated at that weight. Back in the day I would have said Jens was one of the best pound for pound fighters going around as in the UFC he was fighting well above his optimal weight and still winning regularly, even taking the lightweight title.

Cheers
Sam:asian:

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
Silva stands out at the moment though as he is stepping up a weight division. It will be interesting when he starts to fight some of the contenders at 205. Silva vs Liddell now that would be a blockbuster.

Cheers
Sam:asian:

Latest Discussions