Who does the Sets? Which ones? & Why?

Roland

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I know there are many differing opinons on the Sets, just curious to see what ones people do teach, & why?

All the Ones & Twos.
Nunchuk, Staff, Club & Two Man (Black Belt) sets too!

W

WilliamTLear

At present I practice:

Blocking Set One
Kicking Set One
Stance Set One
Finger Set One
Striking Set one
Coordination Set One
Coordination Set Two
Stance Set Two
Blocking Set Two

Why only these? They are the ones that I know right now. I plan on leanring and practicing the others as well.

There are people that say "The sets were created to expand Mr. Parker's material for commercial purposes."

I can see that, but I offer you the following: The sets are a tool in which a practitioner can isolate the basics and train them into a conditioned response. They also offer the practitioner a vehicle for refining their basics in an isolated circumstance. In both cases, the Sets are invaluable... When done properly, they can help build one hell of a student. Good students build a good reputation for the school, and that makes buisness better for commercial studios.

:D

P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by WilliamTLear

At present I practice:

Blocking Set One
Kicking Set One
Stance Set One
Finger Set One
Striking Set one
Coordination Set One
Coordination Set Two
Stance Set Two
Blocking Set Two

Why only these? They are the ones that I know right now. I plan on leanring and practicing the others as well.

There are people that say "The sets were created to expand Mr. Parker's material for commercial purposes."

I can see that, but I offer you the following: The sets are a tool in which a practitioner can isolate the basics and train them into a conditioned response. They also offer the practitioner a vehicle for refining their basics in an isolated circumstance. In both cases, the Sets are invaluable... When done properly, they can help build one hell of a student. Good students build a good reputation for the school, and that makes buisness better for commercial studios.

:D

Right on Billy, you go boy!! Someone has been doing or has done you a great service in your training with knowledge like that, keep up the good work.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Dominic Jones

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I practice all the sets I know, about 10 or 12 of them. Its also great fun to design new sets. I usually choose a part of kenpo I`m either working on or have a weakness with.

I believe the Sets are very important. Its a good idea to revisit the Sets and try to find new applications for them. If nothing else it will improve your Basics.

Larry Tatum Sets Video. Has anybody seen this video? What`s it like?

Cheers Dom

Latest Discussions