Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by jbkenpo
People I'd like to train with ..

tim hartman

JB if you are interested I'll be teaching in Dallas this March. The information is as follows:

· March 15th, Dallas, TX. - Datu Hartman & GM Anding de Leon will be teaching a one-day seminar on advanced sinawalis, disarms, trapping, and locking. For more information contact GM Anding de Leon at (972) 494-1663 or [email protected]

Tim Hartman

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Renegade
JB if you are interested I'll be teaching in Dallas this March. The information is as follows:

· March 15th, Dallas, TX. - Datu Hartman & GM Anding de Leon will be teaching a one-day seminar on advanced sinawalis, disarms, trapping, and locking. For more information contact GM Anding de Leon at (972) 494-1663 or [email protected]

Tim Hartman

Hey Tim, someone just sent me an e-mail yesterday asking about you and attending your seminar. Of course I told him he better not miss it.

Happy New Year.

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Renegade

Tim Hartman

Already printed out and put on my schedule...

I was gonna surprise ya, but thanks for letting me know. I had been keeping my eyes open for the next one since I wasn't able to attend last year.

jb:asian:

OP
K

Kirk

Already printed out and put on my schedule...

I was gonna surprise ya, but thanks for letting me know. I had been keeping my eyes open for the next one since I wasn't able to attend last year.

jb:asian:

You open for riders??? :D

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kirk
You open for riders??? :D

Sure,

You make the 4 hr ride down to Houston and then we'll make the 4 hr ride up to Dallas...:D

Or I'll just meet you there...

jb

OP
K

Kirk

Sure,

You make the 4 hr ride down to Houston and then we'll make the 4 hr ride up to Dallas...:D

Or I'll just meet you there...

jb

LOL .. it's only 3 to houston :wavey:

but I get your point.

Big Pat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Mr. Jeff English-My first instructor.

Mr. Chuck Sullivan-Because of his longevity in Kenpo. I am sure he can say, "I have, rather than I can".

Dr. Ron Chapel-Something about SL-4 intrigues me.

Mr. Ted Sumner-A Tracy Kenpoist that teaches healing.

Mr. Vic LeRoux-Power,speed,accuracy all with lots of control.

Honorable mention: Mr. Skip Hancock for his statement about his rank and relationship with Mr. Parker.

:asian:

EKP RIP

Big Pat

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by Big Pat
Honorable mention: Mr. Skip Hancock for his statement about his rank and relationship with Mr. Parker.

And what was his statement?

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Big Pat
Mr. Jeff English-My first instructor.

Mr. Chuck Sullivan-Because of his longevity in Kenpo. I am sure he can say, "I have, rather than I can".

Dr. Ron Chapel-Something about SL-4 intrigues me.

Mr. Ted Sumner-A Tracy Kenpoist that teaches healing.

Mr. Vic LeRoux-Power,speed,accuracy all with lots of control.

:asian:

EKP RIP

Big Pat

I feel the same way about SubLevel Four. (Thanks for the most honorable mention)

YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED:)

OP
B

brianhunter

Tom Kelly ( A lot of history there if you can get him to talking )

Dennis Conatser ( Insights and knowledge of the system )

Dan Farmer ( His common sense approach to the art )

Doc Chapel ( Former kenpo cop and his concepts )

Jeff Speakman ( Be neat to meet the guy behind the movies )

Big Pat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
And what was his statement? [/QUOTE]

On page 156 of the The Journey:

Mr. Hancock speaks of thanking Mr. Parker for all that he has been given in Kenpo. Mr. Parker gets mad and responed, "I have never given you anything. You have earned every single bit of it".

Mr. Hancock on his rank:" Mr. Parker was my teacher. He promoted me. The rank was an indication of a personal relationship in the art between Mr. Parker and me. He is no longer with us, and I will never be promoted again. -- This has simply been the way I intuitively feel things should be in my heart and is not in any way a judgement or criticism of others".

I think this says a lot about the kind of Kenpoist Mr. Hancock is.

EKP RIP

Big Pat

OP
S

Sanddragon

Since this a Kenpo thread I will keep it to those in Kenpo. However there are a few outside of Kenpo as well.

No special order here.

1. Stephen LaBounty

2. Tom Kelly

3. John Sepulveda

4. Dennis Conatser

5. Howard Silva

OP
R

Rainman

A mighty thanks to you guys who listed their choices and the reason why. Most interesting. Keep 'em coming!

OP
K

Kenpomachine

Originally posted by jfarnsworth
This is interesting to see the different instructors eveyone has picked. :D

I agree, specially when you're out of the main stream. I't's the first time I've heard about some of those kenpo masters, so I'm thinking in maybe doing some research and write a profile of some of them so the spanish kenpoists can know about them :D That's only an idea, though.

Great thread this one, si señor :)

OP
K

Katie Simmons

1. Ted Sumner. He's got documentation for a considerable portion of kenpo's history and an incredible grasp of theory. He teaches kenpo's healing arts (chotaifuku) and he's an extremely effective fighter. Plus, he's hilarious.
2. Joe Lewis. If you have ever looked into this man's eyes, you understand. He's brutally effective, and slightly demented.
3. Roger Greene. He'll work you mercilessly hard on the basics and then barbeque you up the best hamburger you've ever tasted. He's a crusher when he fights and a sweetheart the rest of the time.
4. Steve LaBounty. This is one of the guys my father looked up to when he began training with the Tracys in 1966. He's old school, fought (and won, more often than not) before they wore any protective gear. Now he's into healing, which has always interested me.
5. Ray Arquilla. He went towards the Chinese side, towards our roots. He's got this militant core of students, the "Iron Dragon". He's a badass. All the way.
Actually, all of these guys are badasses. I know all of them and have trained with Ted Sumner and attended seminars by Roger Greene, Joe Lewis and Steve LaBounty. Though most of you have probably never heard of them, as these guys are more on the Tracy side (with the exception of LaBounty), ask Tatum about any of them and I guarantee you he'll have good things to say. And speaking of Tatum, I'd like to add him to my list as a sixth person I'd like to train with. If that's allowed.

OP
R

Ronin

If its just Kenpo I'd go for MY FAVS Mr. Conaster (kissing *** here) , Mr Labounty, Mr Trejo, Mr. Hancock, Mr. White, Mr. Planas, Mr. Pick (just cause he seems a little crazy). Non Kenpoists I'd go for, Chuck Norris (just to gossip about the old days of karate) Bill Wallace (the master kicker) Danny Insanto (JKD and Arnis), Gene LeBell(Judo and Jujitsu) ,Toshoshiro Obata (The samurai sword) , Eric Lee (kung fu), Pauly Zink (monkey style kung fu), Sho Kosugi (my early martial arts ninja idol)

Latest Discussions