Which 'Stick Art' is this?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Being something of a pair of Sci-Fi geeks, my missus and I finally caved in last week and bought the first three seasons of Star Gate Atlantis on DVD.

One interesting thing that has turned up in the show is that one of the lead characters, Teyla Emmagan, practises some sort of 'stick art'.

Do any of our learned practitioners here at MT have any idea which art it is? Or is it 'movie fu'? My guess would be kali or escrima but that's a guess coming from a place of ignorance regarding any other such arts :eek:.

She looks quite proficient, by which I mean she 'sells' it so well that it looks a little bit more convincing than being merely 'acting' but certain things, in the footwork particularly, tend to make me think it's not 'for real'.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being something of a pair of Sci-Fi geeks, my missus and I finally caved in last week and bought the first three seasons of Star Gate Atlantis on DVD.

One interesting thing that has turned up in the show is that one of the lead characters, Teyla Emmagan, practises some sort of 'stick art'.

Do any of our learned practitioners here at MT have any idea which art it is? Or is it 'movie fu'? My guess would be kali or escrima but that's a guess coming from a place of ignorance regarding any other such arts :eek:.

She looks quite proficient, by which I mean she 'sells' it so well that it looks a little bit more convincing than being merely 'acting' but certain things, in the footwork particularly, tend to make me think it's not 'for real'.
Apparently, it's a form of kali.

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Rachel Luttrell studied ballet at the prestigious Russian Academy of Classical Ballet School. She moves well and can mimic moves. Hopefully she will continue to train and improve.

Rachel also has a lovely voice. Her real voice I think is much cuter than the one on the tv show. Must be that Canadian accent.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
I saw the episode some time ago.. appeared to be some form of Escrima or kali or perhaps Nitonbo ( two short sticks) an Okinawan style weapon from Kobudo/kobujitsu. all look very similar as there is only so many ways to swing two sticks effectivly as a weapon.

Latest Discussions