Which martial art do you WISH you could learn?

Trent

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm fortunate; I've found it. This is after 15 years of training in other systems (i.e., Boxing, Muay Thai, Isshin Ryu, Tae Kwon Do, Wrestling, Escrima, Pa Kua Chang). I received Asst. Instructor status or black belt status in each before I moved on due to different reasons (e.g., re-location, instructor passing on, not satisfied with art's or students' combat methods, etc.) Most were contemporaneous while training.

I hope everyone finds what suits their needs specifically for their minds and circumstances.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rick Wade said:
If I had the god given flexability and started young along with alot of other things I would love to learn Wu Shu.

Thanks
From reading Jackie Chan's biography about growing up in a Chinese Opera school/WuShu program (boarding school, 12-14 hour days, 6/7 days a week...) all that flexibility really wasn't as God given and natural as it looks now in his movies.

The stuff he went through, by our standards was straight out abuse.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tae Bo!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

No, really, I'd love to check out Aikido. I have a great foundation in striking, weapons and all around combative mindset from Modern Arrnis and RJKD, and would like to explore something softer, but I've heard the only local instructor is a moron.

Also, a question:
To get 'chicks': Kenjutsu
Does this help? Why?

Ender

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd like to try Aikido

and Jeet Kun do a bit more

And I'm starting Yoga right now for stretching and relaxation..it seems to work....but I almost nod off near the end of class..*l...Shrug

OP
T

the_kicking_fiend

The martial art I most would like to train in is one which in why I have been fortunate to already have participated in a short introductory course but no further teaching was available without private tuition and that's way too expensive for a student!

Also it's a form of karate and I study Tae Kwon Do to make things worse. But it is, in my view, the strongest weapon art out there- someone really well trained in this style is almost invincible. I am of course talking about bojutsu as many fo you would have guessed ;-)

d

Kenpo Mama

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I would have to say if i didn't study kenpo (which i truly love) i would study kung fu and maybe Iaido - i was really fascinated with all the swords in "Kill Bill" :enguard: ... i'm such a sucker for martial arts flicks.

Donna :asian:

OP
M

muaythaifreak

I'd have to say Muay Boran and Krabi-Krabong. I would absolutely love to study some sort of Japanese sword art (any would be wonderful), unfortunately the closest school to me is an Ieido (sp?) school which is three hours away. :( As for the other two, the closest schools for them are probably overseas. Maybe one day...

OP
O

OC Kid

Id have to say it would be Kali or Escrima

KungFuWarrior

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
First off i'd like to say hello to everyone. Second if I could choose any martial art besides Kung Fu (which i currently study) I would choose combat Tai Chi not the stuff you learn at the YMCA or Emperiors Long Fist.

OP
C

Chrono

There's so many I like, but there are really two that I would just die to start learning; Japanese swordsmanship, preferably Iaido or Kenjutsu, and T'ai Chi.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
KungFuWarrior said:
First off i'd like to say hello to everyone. Second if I could choose any martial art besides Kung Fu (which i currently study) I would choose combat Tai Chi not the stuff you learn at the YMCA or Emperiors Long Fist.
Welcome to the boards KungFuWarrior! Check out our CMA forum as well, we are allways looking for more CMAist to keep the dicussions going in there!

You guys that want to learn taiji, make sure you find a good teacher, there is alot going around that isn't worth much.

7sm

Fightfan00

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My choices would be catch wrestling,shuai jiow,chi na but of course theres nothing around here even close.

OP
K

Katsu Jin Ken

if i had the time and money, id love to go to China and learn from a grandmaster in the arts of Wing Chun, 108 Chin Na (but Jow Pai, eagle claw, will work), Pak Mei(white eyebrow).

In Japan, Aikijujutsu, Iaido, Aikido.

OP
T

The Sapphire Ping Dragon

Out of the Chinese styles I would love to learn Kung Fu and Tai Chi.

Out of the Japanese styles, I would love to learn Aikido, Judo, Ju Jutsu, and Ninjutsu! :ninja:

Brittany :asian:

OP
A

auxprix

Lately, I've found myself very interested in Chinese traditional arts. I'd especially love to learn a chinese spearfighting system (I've just always loved the spear, I don't know why). A while back, I was looking for a Hsing-I-Chuan school nearby, but to no avail.

OP
H

Hanzo04

the art i really want to learn but don't have the time is ninjutsu and kenjutsu. i think that the japanese samurai were the greatest warriors besides the romans.

OP
E

elcajon555

I would like to learn ninjitsu or jeet kune do, thought I am really happy learning taekwondo

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
KungFuWarrior said:

Hi KungFuWarrior,

Welcome to MartialTalk!!!

Hey, some of us like myself teach at a Y!!! :)

Glad to see more IKKA members join!!!

As far as what I would like to study, it would be more Emporer's Long Fist or Silat.

Palusut (Si Sook Harold Evans)

Latest Discussions