Which martial art do you WISH you could learn?

lonecoyote

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Any Filipino MA with stick, blade and empty hand. Xingyi. Hard core Kajukenbo, like the old stories of super tough hawaiin training sessions. Judo.

OP
K

Kevin Walker

I am very happy with Hakko-ryu Jiu-jitsu for self defense, with its nasty and vile joint lock techniques and its no-nonsense approach to a street fight; and I am happy with my Judo experience for its realism and physical fitness.

YET, if I could do it all over with what I know now, I would go straight to Japan and devote myself to Shojinji Kempo, for its great fighting technique combined with its religious/mysticism, lacking in American martial arts practice.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I had previously mentioned Aikido or Hapkido as a style to crosstrain along with my primary art, American Kenpo. However, I didn't mention my third choice, which is Judo/Jujitsu. Right now, I am happy to say I finally took up Judo and enjoying every bit of it!

- Ceicei

OP
T

TKD USA

HAPKIDO BABY! for some reason I always liked that art, oh and also jujitsu.

OP
K

Kevin Walker

Ceicei said:
I had previously mentioned Aikido or Hapkido as a style to crosstrain along with my primary art, American Kenpo. However, I didn't mention my third choice, which is Judo/Jujitsu. Right now, I am happy to say I finally took up Judo and enjoying every bit of it!

- Ceicei
Hi,

Several of my martial arts buddies and I have agreed that Judo is a very good basis to begin all martial arts training. What do you think?

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Kevin Walker said:
Hi,

Several of my martial arts buddies and I have agreed that Judo is a very good basis to begin all martial arts training. What do you think?

I think Judo meshes well with other styles. I don't think it really matters whether Judo is the primary or secondary style when cross-training. IMHO, a martial artist will derive a lot of benefit from some cross-training.

- Ceicei

OP
T

TIGER DRAGON FIGHT

i love what i do now and wouldn't trade my education in the style i do now for anything. since i have been exposed to many other arts by witnessing them i would love to begin studying wushu because i love doing forms and because of how poetic it looks. i'm a big jet li fan and knowing where he came up and seeing old footage of him is amazing. :asian:

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If I had the time and money, what art would I pursue? :rolleyes:

I've practiced
1) TKD/karate and enjoyed them
2) Kobudo and that was fun.
3) The filipino martial arts, this has been the funnest
4) A little fencing, this was real cool
5) Hock Hochheim's systems, good for self defense

So I've covered my bases pretty good so if moneys not a problem nor time. Then I would probably like to take up a European sword system.

And I would like to continue to train in as many FMA systems, or under as many good instructors as my mind and body could handle.

In reality though if I found an instructor who was way more skilled than I in a system that I could do (I'm to old for Wu Shu, Caporia (spelling?), and some of the others. And they were people of integrity and so on, and I could learn from them, then I would be happy as well.

Mark

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would love to be able to train regularily with some Kenpo notables like, Huk Planas, Frank Trejo, Larry Tatum, Dennis Conatser, Doc, Zach Whitson, and several more. I would love to be abel to train with Renegade on regular basis, he has a fun approach to Modern Arnis, I would love to train with several weapons experts like Tadashi Yamashita.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
DoxN4cer said:
It I had the time and money, I would be back in the PI training with GT Leo Gaje. I thoroughly enjoyed the time I spent with him and the Dog Eaters.

What was that like? Dogeaters I haven't heard that name in a while. You can respond PM so the thread stays on topic if you want.

mark

Ronin Moose

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I must say I'm really satisfied with American Kenpo as a system, and I've met some of the finest friends and associates through Kenpo that I could have ever dreamed of. As something else to either compliment or enhance my abilities (old age and time allowing), I think I'd be most interested in traditional jujuitsu, hapkido and perhaps kendo or iaido.

OP
B

Bigodinho

OUMoose said:
I would have to say Capoeira would be something I'd like to try. Unfortunately my physique and damaged hip don't agree with that. heh
Capoeira is chanllenged by choice. If some of the movements feel uncomfortable to you during your training, then don't do it. I have a reconstructed left knee that still bothers me to this day. I would say if you'd like to try, don't let anything stop you. Go for it! It may help you out.

Kunoichi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi everyone :)

Right now I study Ninjutsu and Jeet Kune Do but if time and money weren't a factor I'd love to also get into Muay Thai or Systema. I also wanna get into Tai Chi, I'm looking for a place to learn right now
:partyon:

Latest Discussions