Which Fighters are better, Pride or UFC?

J

JDenz

Ya Silva matches up great with Rampage. It is a real bad matchup for quinton because silva strikes better and is better on the bottom then rampage is on top so he really can't finish him. Where on the other hand Chuck and Silva are going to stand and trade and they are about equal on the feet I would say.

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What is interesting about the match-up, is that in almost any match, chuck is capable of dictating the pace of the fight. LIddell wrestled in division-1 for 3+ years, and has some of the best takedown defense out there. If he is losing the battle on his feet, he can take wandy down and hold him. Wandy is a BJJ black belt but never showed to be that good at back fighting. Chuck also has good submissions, as he has worked with Eddie Bravo and Cesar Gracie primarily. Then at any point chuck could stand up and blast him some more. The only weak point I can see in chucks game is overconfidence in his striking ability. he got rocked by Vernon white at UFC 49 by standing and trading, and Wanderlei is much more dangerous striker, simply because of his clinching abilities.

J

JDenz

Silva is good off his back. He looked good agianst Yosh and Hunt, Silva is as agressive on the ground and he is on the feet. His greatest strength is his greatest weakness. He also trains with Elvis on the ground he is going to be able to but Chuck in danger if chuck is on top. Plus both are real good at reversing postion and getting back to the feet. This one would be a great fight.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Shogun said:
I agree, wandy does like to trade. Mark Hunt, Kazushi Sakuraba, Yuki kondo, and others have caught him with good punches while trading. But, none of those guys are on par with Chuck's striking abilities. Chuck has KO'ed Ortiz, Sobral, white, Randelman, metzger, and couture. those are all standing KO's. those are the toughest Sumbitches there is! If he beat Wandy, there would be a great Triangle in that Quinton TKO'ed Chuck, but lost to Wanderlei.

KE
I agree. Chuck can knock out anyone, anytime, anywhere, if they're silly enough to play his game. If Wandy decides to trade, it only takes one hit from Liddell, and it's canvas time. Of course Silva has improved his game considerably since he got jack-hammered by Belfort, so he could very well take it. Either way, it'll be a heck of a fight, and I look forward to seeing it.

J

JDenz

Silva and Chuck both get rocked alot it would be a great exciting fight.

O

OrangeLeopard

Pride fighters are better but UFC is more fun to watch to me anyway. The UFC just looks more professional and i like the octagon. Pride looks cheap and boring almost, until they start fighting. I think UFC has more appeal. I think all of the pride fighters should fight in the UFC and UFC should move to pride.

S

Semaj

I wasnt a big fan of the appearance of the pride ring.. but at the sametime,.. Pride has always seemed more professional to me... UFC seems to me to be more of the underground-type approach...

Knarfan

Green Belt
Reaction score
Pride , especially the heavyweights . I'd love to see some of the top pride fighters in the octagon .

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Pride in my opinion, UFC has been on a downward spiral for me for a while now, and that little Shamrock fiasco a couple months back where he fought that no name guy and lost on Spike's Channel, yeah made me think back to my days of watching pro-wrestling.

Knarfan

Green Belt
Reaction score
evenflow1121 said:
Pride in my opinion, UFC has been on a downward spiral for me for a while now, and that little Shamrock fiasco a couple months back where he fought that no name guy and lost on Spike's Channel, yeah made me think back to my days of watching pro-wrestling.
Just to be fair to Shamrock , that guy just beat Tanner for the 185 championship . He is a great talant & fighter , but for some reason his name isn't as well known as others . Rich Franklin . He is a pretty exciting fighter , always puts on a good show .

JulesK

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
GASP!!!!

Franklin is NOT a no-namer!!! He is a being of greatness and rainbows and light!!!

IMO, Silva would school Liddell, b/c like you said, sgtmac_46,

"Chuck can knock out anyone, anytime, anywhere, if they're silly enough to play his game."

Despite his recent loss to Hunt, I TRULY doubt Silva would let Liddell control the pace of the fight. I'm also VERY curous to see how Horn/Liddell plays out..for pretty much the same reason--Horn is a MASTER at controlling the pace of the fight adn playing his own game. I'm also not the biggest Liddell fan, as you can probably tell. However, props to him and his career, which seems to be going very well.

That was all a little off-topic, though wasn't it? In terms of the initial question, I think that PRIDE is a much better organization, b/c they treat their fighters better. The appeal of the UFC is it's accessibility to the more common and lowly of us...we can see people we've trained with get in the Octagon and it's like we 're in there as well.

Many of the fighters in either organization have gone to the other, so comparing fighters to each other as representatire of the entire organization, is a little difficult

just my $.02

Knarfan

Green Belt
Reaction score
JulesK said:
GASP!!!!

Franklin is NOT a no-namer!!! He is a being of greatness and rainbows and light!!!

He is the 185 lbs champion isn't he ? :CTF:So in reality he isn't a no namer you are Jules :rolleyes: . Just kidding :uhyeah:

just my 2 cents :supcool:

N

nhbSDMF

JulesK said:
GASP!!!!

and "chisled features" and a striking resemblance to Jim Carrey... lol...

Ok, here's my take:

HW: CroCop, Fedor, "Minotauro" Nogueira, Arlovski
LHW: Wanderlei Silva, Liddell, Couture, then maybe Rampage or Babalu??

JulesK

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
No, actually, I AM a no-namer...but that's okay, 'cause that's where you start.

Mmmmm...Rcih Franklin....

Knarfan

Green Belt
Reaction score
nhbSDMF said:
and "chisled features" and a striking resemblance to Jim Carrey... lol...

Ok, here's my take:

HW: CroCop, Fedor, "Minotauro" Nogueira, Arlovski
LHW: Wanderlei Silva, Liddell, Couture, then maybe Rampage or Babalu??
Good list . Definatly have to have Rampage there . You know your fighters & actors :) .

Knarfan

Green Belt
Reaction score
JulesK said:
No, actually, I AM a no-namer...but that's okay, 'cause that's where you start.

Mmmmm...Rcih Franklin....
Good comeback ! I guess I deserved that :whip: . lol....

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
JulesK said:
GASP!!!!

IMO, Silva would school Liddell, b/c like you said, sgtmac_46,

"Chuck can knock out anyone, anytime, anywhere, if they're silly enough to play his game."

Despite his recent loss to Hunt, I TRULY doubt Silva would let Liddell control the pace of the fight. I'm also VERY curous to see how Horn/Liddell plays out..for pretty much the same reason--Horn is a MASTER at controlling the pace of the fight adn playing his own game. I'm also not the biggest Liddell fan, as you can probably tell. However, props to him and his career, which seems to be going very well.

That was all a little off-topic, though wasn't it? In terms of the initial question, I think that PRIDE is a much better organization, b/c they treat their fighters better. The appeal of the UFC is it's accessibility to the more common and lowly of us...we can see people we've trained with get in the Octagon and it's like we 're in there as well.

Many of the fighters in either organization have gone to the other, so comparing fighters to each other as representatire of the entire organization, is a little difficult

just my $.02
At least we know the answer to part of this post. Liddell took Horn to school, hammering Horn hard and never once allowing Horn to even truly be in the fight. Horn didn't get to pace the fight his way, and he never even managed to take the fight to the ground, thanks to the fact that Chuck perfectly sprawled on him every time. Chuck fought the fight he wanted, and Horn was forced to play Chuck's game as he didn't have any other option, failing every single time he tried to take Chuck down and keep him there.

In short, I still maintain Chuck Liddell is highly underrated by many of the hardcore MMA fans. They decided Chuck couldn't beat Ortiz, and he did. He couldn't beat Couture, and he did. He definitely couldn't beat Horn, and he did. None of the above fights went to a decision, they all involved each of these athletes getting knocked out (in two cases) and knocked nearly blind (in Horn's case).

Chuck beats Rampage Jackson, and he zeros out his loses. He beats Silva, and he's on top of the world. Chuck's a juggernaut right now, and it's only a matter of time before Chuck or someone from Pride unify the UFC/Pride Titles (If Dana White and Pride allow it).

Like him or hate him, Chuck Liddell isn't dodging anyone.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I saw some Pride fight's last night for the first time (they were on Fox Sports Net here). Maybe small sample size but the fighters seemed to be quicker and more aggressive then the UFC fights I have seen. Their hands seem to move quicker and they seemed faster.

I don;t know if it was a replay or not or how old it was, but one fight had Liddell aganst I think Jackson. I've seen Liddell in UFC fights and in all the fights I've seen he does really well. However, he looked a bit overmatched against Jackson. I only saw the second round but he looked tired. The fight ended when they went down, Jackson picked up Liddell and slammed him on his back into the mat and got on him and Liddell's corner through in the towel (Liddell was not moving on the ground)

Note: I have nothing against Chuck Liddell...seems like a decent guy in interviews and the UFC fights I've seen him in he's done really well in, so this is not meant as a knock against him