which fight was it?

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
i am trying find footage of a mma fight. not surewho it was what fed it was but it was best i have ever seen.

big coloured guy in black gi took opponent down pulled guy in crucifix on top of himself and elbowed in him in such quick successon the guy was out cold in secs. absolutely devastating seen it a few times but lost the link and info
can anyone help me.....
has anyone got any idea who/what it was?
sorry if dumb question

matsu

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
i am trying find footage of a mma fight. not surewho it was what fed it was but it was best i have ever seen.

big coloured guy in black gi took opponent down pulled guy in crucifix on top of himself and elbowed in him in such quick successon the guy was out cold in secs. absolutely devastating seen it a few times but lost the link and info
can anyone help me.....
has anyone got any idea who/what it was?
sorry if dumb question

matsu

Gary Goodrich is the person you're talking about. IIRC it was one of the early UFC events. I believe the guy he fought may have had a wrestling background and also trained with Tank.

ackks10

Purple Belt
Reaction score
big coloured guy, :vu: didn't that word go out in the late 60's,wow!!!:BSmeter:

allenjp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Wasn't that the Pat Smith/Scott Morris fight at UFC 2? Or was it UFC 1? By the way, by the spelling you used for the word "coloured" I'll assume you're British? Using the word "colored" to describe an african american here in the States is considered rather offensive, you may want to say "black" or "african american" instead.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wasn't that the Pat Smith/Scott Morris fight at UFC 2? Or was it UFC 1? By the way, by the spelling you used for the word "coloured" I'll assume you're British? Using the word "colored" to describe an african american here in the States is considered rather offensive, you may want to say "black" or "african american" instead.

No, that was a different fight. The one you're talking about was in fact UFC2. Smith was actually mounted on Morris, and elbowed him repeatedly while Morris hung on.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
The fight that came to my mind first was Remco Pardoe vs. Orlando Weit in UFC2. here is a link to that fight.

Others have mentioned Gary Goodrich, and he fought a guy named Augustos Santos in IV1 (1997) and won that by crucifix. Here is a clip for that fight in which you can see what the crucifix is, it is a submission hold requiring both arms to hold your opponent and restrict the breathing and put stress on the neck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skpotamus

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The crucifix with the elbows until the fight was stopped was Gary Goodridge (258lbs) vs Paul Herrera (185lbs) in UFC 8.

Herrera shot in for a low single, then tried to switch to a firemans carry, only to get tied up in a crucifix hold, then brutalized by 8 elbow strikes, and end up with a broken jaw. The official fight time was 13 seconds I beleive

is the fight itself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only Americans spell it colored, the rest of the world spells it coloured so why does the poster have to be British? Could be an Anzac, European,Asian etc. Just a point.

OP
M

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
yeah fanx guys . i will check out those linx
the gary goodrich sounds right!

yep i am ENGLISH not british. and coloured is how its spelt correctly:) ie in english :rolleyes:.

i am sorry if i offended any of our afro american/black buds.i thought about it as typed it but to be honest i havent a clue what is and aint politically correct any more.

policeMAN..... milkPERSON...... dont even get me started politically... we be here all day!
world going to ****!!!

matsu

OP
M

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
how awesome was that!! almost go cold watching that guy KO!
ouch!
how old is that?
was there not weight classes at that time?

what gary goodrich doing now?
thanks for posting that clip saved!!

matsu

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good clips :) So strange to see them in gi's and w/out gloves... I often remember some of those fights. Don't see the Crucifix all that often...

OP
M

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
"Don't see the Crucifix all that often... "

why is that? was it that he was so much bigger and able to do or jsut one of those great forgotten techniques?

matsu

allenjp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
how awesome was that!! almost go cold watching that guy KO!
ouch!
how old is that?
was there not weight classes at that time?

what gary goodrich doing now?
thanks for posting that clip saved!!

matsu

He kept fighting after that, mostly in Pride, I think...my favorite fight of his was when Gilbert Yvel (black dutch mma fighter) knocked him out cold in about 7 seconds with a high kick to the head...had that real loud THUD sound...awesome. I'm not sure if he's still fighting.

Here's the link to that one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnDUiAxYP8s&feature=related

Sorry about the spelling remark, we Americans tend to think everything should be the way we do it...(BTW I was right though, he is Brit, ah, Eng, ah from that big island anyway...)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He kept fighting after that, mostly in Pride, I think...my favorite fight of his was when Gilbert Yvel (black dutch mma fighter) knocked him out cold in about 7 seconds with a high kick to the head...had that real loud THUD sound...awesome. I'm not sure if he's still fighting.

Here's the link to that one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnDUiAxYP8s&feature=related

Sorry about the spelling remark, we Americans tend to think everything should be the way we do it...(BTW I was right though, he is Brit, ah, Eng, ah from that big island anyway...)

Now all you have to do is work out if he's a Scouser or a Geordie, or a Mackem or......................:lookie:

OP
M

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
:cheers:its cool! i hoped i didnt upset any of our ethnic minorities........... esp all the english people in england at the mo hahahahahhahahahahahahahahahah.
and tez, geezer i,m a cockney born east ham live in essex!
you?
dont diss your country fella,theres many things to be admired and copied from your country,just our politicians try the wrong ones!:eek:

how can someone be so deadly in one fight and so dumb in that one??
great kick tho!

thanks again for the help finding it!

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
:cheers:its cool! i hoped i didnt upset any of our ethnic minorities........... esp all the english people in england at the mo hahahahahhahahahahahahahahahah.
and tez, geezer i,m a cockney born east ham live in essex!
you?
dont diss your country fella,theres many things to be admired and copied from your country,just our politicians try the wrong ones!:eek:

how can someone be so deadly in one fight and so dumb in that one??
great kick tho!

thanks again for the help finding it!

You only look as good fighting as the other guy lets you im afraid.