Where is hapkido heading?

hapkidonet

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think there has been a revolution in mindset in the last thirty years in which cross-training in different arts has become normal and accepted. This has got to have a profound effect on the development of martial arts. You can call it watering down, but everything changes in time.

bushido

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The state of HKD is falling apart. For every 1 good school, there are 4 ******** schools. Come on, how many 8th and 9th dans are there? 'ell, I even see 10's all over the place. I recently went to a TKD school that advertised TKD, HKD and yudo. Was supposed to be 10th (not even 30 yrs old) and did not even understand the construction of the bodies joints enough to know how to apply a proper joint break. Every thing was muscle. After attempting to apply a half dozen locks and 5 or 6 throws on me, I was ignored, then asked to "please leave the premises".
This is not the first time either. Just the most recent.
Just go through the internet and you will see some of the sorriest looking techniques tagged as HKD, it makes you not want to be associated with the name some days.
Bah, enough ranting. It is only getting worse. One time not long ago, finding a HKD school was impossible, now there are 30 9th dans with in an hours drive of me. WTF!

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow. A lot of HKD schools. For good or bad thats rare. What parts of the country is this in?

Dave O.

bushido

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
LOL. Sorry Dortiz, I was venting there. Slight exaggeration on my part, but probably not by much. I am in ontario canada. There are 6 schools within 20 mins of me that have HKD in their ads. In toronto, I found 14 without even using an internet search. 'ell, theres 20 right there, maybe I am UNDER stating the number. Niagara falls, I just found 4, St. Kits 3 TKD advertising HKD. I am going to stop looking, I can see that I would find way more than 30 within an hour of me. The vast majority of these are TKD schools

Canada Hapkido Assoc.
OttawaOntario
Personal Best Karate (Dahn Hapkido)L3B 4E3WellandOntario
Korean Martial Arts Centre (Dahn Hapkido)L4N 4K8 BarrieOntario
Family Korean Martial Arts CentreL8J 2R6Hamilton Ontario
Personal Best Karate (Dahn Hapkido)L8T 1S2HamiltonOntario
Hapkido Hwa Won YueL8W3R4HamiltonOntario
Niagara Hwa Won Yue LOR 1B5BeamsvilleOntario
Scarborough Martial Arts Training GroupM1B 1W7ScarboroughOntario
Global Tae Keuk-Do FederationM3J 2J8TorontoOntario
Eagle Hapkido Academy HeadquartersM4J 1L2TorontoOntario
Eagle Hapkido TorontoM4J 1L2TorontoOntario
Toronto Hapkido AcademyM5A 1T3TorontoOntario
Native Canadian Centre of Toronto Martial ArtsM5R 2S7Toronto Ontario
East West HapkidoM5T 2M1TorontoOntario
Security Training SolutionsN0L 2P0West LorneOntario
The Peaceful Warriors' Martial Arts InstituteN9G 1V3WindsorOntario
Korean Martial Arts Centre (Hapkido)P0R 1B0Blind RiverOntario
Korean Martial Arts Centre (Dahn Martial Arts)P3C 4X8SudburyOntario
Korean Martial Arts Center (Hap Ki Do)P5A 1Y2Elliot LakeOntario
Kong Shin Bup™ Hap Ki DoP6A 1M4Sault Ste MarieOntario
Ho Shin Sool Martial Arts & Fitness CentreP6A 2Y5Sault Ste. MarieOntario
Korean Martial Arts Centre (Hap-Ki-Do)P6B-5J5Sault Ste. MarieOntario
World Dahn Moo Do Association HeadquartersPOB 1MOMuskokaOntario
Hwa Won Yuel8w 3r4HamiltonOntario
Toronto Hapkido Academy (new location)yonge/eglintonTorontoOntario
I just searched HKD Dojang data base and came up with these. Mind you, all of these are not within an hour of me, but this is not listing TKD advertising HKD either. It's all over the place here!
Way more than 30 LOL!

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thats crazy. I would say that is way above average. We have a lot of the TKD schools offering HKD. As usual 90% of the time its that add on special whith a 30 year old Korean sports college grad who has many Dans.
Usually though the plain old Hapkido schools that are labeled that tend to be good. Its the "we teach TKD and 20 arts" that fall short around here (D.C. Area).

Dave O.

Latest Discussions