Where does your training fit on the Macho Scale?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts - General' started by geezer, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Juany118

Juany118 Senior Master

• Supporting Member
    I am a weirdo. Example when the knives and sticks come out, even just for sumbrada or sinawali the safety glasses go on. However when full sparring, if we are using the very lightly padded sticks, I will only put on light padded gloves and head gear, no body armor, forearm guards etc. My personal view there is that padded stick + body armor means I feel nothing ergo I lose an incentive to defend as well as attack. Each bruise is a reminder to me but it stops at me being willing to accept bruises and other minor injuries.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Sr. Grandmaster

Didn't Topper Harley dip his fists in honey and gummie bears for an underground tournament?

3. drop bear

drop bear Sr. Grandmaster

Not especially. You need to protect yourself more in drills so that you can drill for longer.

4. Juany118

Juany118 Senior Master

• Supporting Member
    I'm not talking about the drills, though but full sparring. When we do that we use rigid core sticks with a thin, not "cushy" foam outer. Basically it's just designed to not break bone but they will bang you up. Some of the people chose to wear the full Kali sparring tunic when we use them. It seems to encourage all out attack because there is little sense of being hit.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JP3

JP3 Master Black Belt

• Supporting Member
    Shoot.... I've gone all relaxed and complacent as I've slid through this last five years or so.... With what we're doing now, as in right now with the group I've got at the level they're at... I'd say I'm maxing out at a 2 on Geezer's macho scale. Very UN-macho, but at least we're out there doing it training session after training session , week after week, so we're higher than a 1.

I'm trying to decide if the slam-bang, competition judo group I trained with for those years was worse... umm... I mean better... than the Muay Thai group I trained with. One might think that the Thai boxing was fiercer, but I left class more exhausted, more endorphins after finishing up, more bumped-up and bruised in judo than I ever did during Thai boxing class.

At times, before a bout, or an upcoming big tournament, I'd give them a tie, max, of a session of about 8, but that was the height of it. Usually maybe a 6.

6. Juany118

Juany118 Senior Master

• Supporting Member
    Quoted your post to simply say one thing. Carlitos is a BAMF, pure and simple.

7. Buka

Buka Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    I was running a DT class back in 05. The former instructor, who I replaced a couple years before, stopped by. He was a Captain now, built like boulder, had an easy hundred pounds on me. Rudely interrupted my class to show something, and of course, used me as his example. I was to grip him by his shirt, he was to break the hold using sheer strength. Except I wouldn't let go no matter how hard, and how many times, he smashed my arm. Made him look silly. I know, stupid on my part, but I don't care.

Broke my arm [avulsion fracture] Fortunately, it was at the end of the day. Went to the ER, got a cast and a sling, went back to work the next day, and didn't miss any days, not one. The bosses wouldn't let me wear the sling, so I hooked my thumb through the buttons on my shirt instead. Under any other circumstance, ANY, I would have stayed home for a couple months, full pay, and I would have milked the hell out of that puppy. But not when it came from DT. That just wasn't happening.

It had nothing whatsoever to do about being macho. It had everything to do about being stubborn, and being righteous.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes Senior Master

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Sure, I'm at least basically competent in almost any standard finishing move (striking or grappling). Some I'm even kind of good at. That doesn't mean I'll get them to work against a world-class professional fighter who has much greater strength, speed, and endurance as well as almost psychotic levels of toughness and aggression. Likewise my positional game, while decent, is not at the level of a top (All-American, 2-time NCAA champion) collegiate wrestler. I'm a competent hobbyist BJJ black belt, not Rickson Gracie.

Yeah, I'm sure there's never any connection between being macho and being stubborn/righteous. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  9. Buka

Buka Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Competent hobbyist. Yeah, I can see that. Only doing BJJ for a dozen or so years now, right, I get it, made black belt, piece of cake. Nothing before that. Oh, wait.....there were those decades where you trained other arts. Just as a hobby, of course. You don't train other arts any more....oh, wait, you do.

Hobbyist. You can just quit, cold turkey, any time you want. I'll bet you could go on a two week vacation and not take or teach a class. Probably wouldn't even THINK about anything Martial related in those two weeks. Wouldn't once let your mind stray to what you might work on in class when vacations is over, not once have your mind wander to that foot lock you don't do particularilly well, or about footwork or this or that or the other thing.

Yeah....hobbyist, that's the ticket.

You Martial Junkie Dog :)

• Funny Funny x 4
  10. Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes Senior Master

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Okay, a dedicated hobbyist.

11. Juany118

Juany118 Senior Master

• Supporting Member
    Fixed it for you ;)

Tbh though would any of us be here if we weren't obsessive to some degree?

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. gpseymour

gpseymour Sr. Grandmaster

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    Agreed. I'm not nearly that macho. I'd whimper, at best.

13. Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons A Student of Martial Arts

• Advisor
    • Founding Member
    • LifeTime Supporting Member
    • Martial Talk Alumni
    Geezer,
    0 or 5 or 9 or 12+
    I like to train safe. - slow is smooth / smooth is fast
    I also have done what you rated as a 9 .
    I have had broken fingers before and asked the doc about them and he said it would have to be re-broke and set to heal properly. I said coo I can take care of it. He freaked out thinking I was going to hit with a hammer myself. I explained it would break in class from strikes and then I would set and brace it with a finger frog/splint. --- I did that exactly about two months later. The person training with me fell to the mats - and he was out as I snapped the finger straight and then looked towards my bag for my tape and frog.
    I also was stupid and accepted a challenge from the PI in the 99 ish on the Escrima Digest , Live Blades to be used. I asked for Hawaii so my insurance would still work and that we could agree on a time good with us both. Before I could follow up they complained that it was not fair for me to set a location other than to come to them. They dropped it before I could reply the next day as the other members had replied it was more than fair, Crazy and stupid, yet fair. Their words.
    -----
    I like to think of myself as a 0 though. I try not to be macho and go out of my way to make my size and movements non threatening or ... , and yet one can only do so much.
    So how would you rate the above? (* Other than silly or stupid ;) *)

14. Jenna

Jenna Senior Master

• MartialTalk Mentor
    I see you as big softie level 0 most time yes? :) Then what is it about the circumstance that would cause you to act at 9 or 12+ level occasional times?? What change or what is different?? x

• Like Like x 1
  15. gpseymour

gpseymour Sr. Grandmaster

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    I can't come up with much besides silly and stupid, Rich. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Buka

Buka Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Back in the day, my wife would drive to the train station, commute to her full time job downtown, get out of work and reverse the process, drive to the dojo, work out as hard as anyone I've ever taught, and be the last to leave every night. She did it every Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday night, as well as a Saturday morning class. Other than a few minor surgeries, non Martial related, she never missed a class, not a single one, for nine years - until we went on our honeymoon.

I still don't know how she did that. Especially all banged up from training and sparring.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Rich Parsons

• Advisor
    • Founding Member
    • Martial Talk Alumni
    Hey I resemble that !!

18. Rich Parsons

• Advisor
    • Founding Member
    • Martial Talk Alumni
    I do not like Bullies.
    I have put myself between others and danger before. Not as a LEO or Military, just local security and bouncing a place from criminal types and those who spend money while making is so families who leave early and do spend as much money would come occasionally.
    The 12 could be a special time in my life when I had little to worry about with no assets to loose and no people who looked to me as a caretaker.
    Most of the time, I am a 0 as you pointed out. :D

• Like Like x 1
  19. Hyoho

Hyoho Black Belt

Zero! The arts arts supposed to teach humility. If you dont have that? Best not label what you do as an art.

20. drop bear

drop bear Sr. Grandmaster

I am incredibly humble. In fact the first words out of my mouth are generally how humble I am.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1