Where Did the Time Go?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's three years to the hour since I held my missus in my arms whilst she wept out her grief at her fathers passing and it strikes me that the river of time flows ever faster, for it seems like only yesterday that this happened.

As Hughes & Thrall sang, "Where did the time go?". The emotions are still as poignant and strong as they were at that very moment and yet three years have rolled around already!

If there is an afterlife, at least he knows that I have held to the promise that I made to him at his graveside that I would look after her for him; and I will keep on doing so.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When I was young there were long hot summers, and I could not make time go any faster. Everything took forever to come to pass. Now on the other end of the spectrum, I have concluded that we hold the key to time. You see, when young, everything lies ahead, with nothing to dwell upon. When our minds think forward, or we anticipate, it seems to slow things down. The biggest problem with most of our mature society is a feeling of time running out. With nothing to look forward to, we reminisce on things past, which is ok, but not to the point of all consuming. With the road ahead clear and everything behind we have a feeling of being pursued and consequently run. Let the past remain there and wake up each morning to a new beginning, never considering your work done. This sense of anticipation will give us a renewing of mind. By keeping in the now and anticipating, and looking forward to the future, our sense of time will slow down to a point that we can bend down, pick that rose, and take a long deep smell.

There is nothing more honorable then to be true to ourself. A promise made and kept, shows a strong character, and keeps us at peace. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. :)

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Very wise words, my friend and ones that I shall endeavour to take to heart and employ - let's see if I can't slow that rush of time down a little :).

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Mark, I am sorry that you are caught in sad remembrances, I know entirely how that feels. I know there is amelioration for you and your good lady even if it is slow coming sometimes.

I think with respect to time accelerating as we age, I draw an analogy to climbing higher on our mountain where it is therefore easier to cast our eye a further distance. When we are younger, struggling in the foothills, we glance over the land and can see only the people and fields immediately below us. As we age, we ascend, and it is possible to survey much more with the same single glance. Because we can see much more, we have a greater perspective. I do not see a pinnacle to that mountain, I just look forward to the view from the next ledge.

I say time does not accelerate, rather, we gain elevation :)

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"... tired of lying in the sunshine, staying home to watch the rain, you are young and life is long, and there is time to kill today... and then one day you find, 10 years have got behind you, no-one told you when to run... you missed the starting gun..." ~Pink Floyd.

Grief does muddle things and our senses, however; when it clears (if we let GO of it) we realize that life is trudging along as it always has and you're still in it. I still get pangs when I come across photos of friends who have left this mortal coil too soon, but since I do believe in an afterlife I don't sweat it too much, knowing that someday we'll meet again and have eternity to sing all the old songs together.
Until then... keep on keeping on.

... every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time, plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines, hanging on quiet desperation is the English way, the time is gone, the song is over, thought I'd something more to say... ~Pink Floyd.

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Every year older represents a smaller and smaller slice of our lives. Add in the fact that as we get older, we tend to fall into routines (between work and family) that make many days similar to the ones that have gone before. Is it any wonder that time seems to start flying by?

To slow things down, break out of your routines, leave your comfort zones and do something different.

Latest Discussions