Where can I go to study a martial arts away from home?

Stormyholmes00

White Belt
Reaction score
I see it all the time where you can go to China or Thailand for months at a time to study kung fu. I would love to have that kind of experience in the USA. Someplace where I can go to study for about three-six months as a personal retreat and learn kung fu. Like a boarding school for kung fu, where housing and meals and such would be included in the price. can anybody recommend me somewhere in the USA only?

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I see it all the time where you can go to China or Thailand for months at a time to study kung fu. I would love to have that kind of experience in the USA. Someplace where I can go to study for about three-six months as a personal retreat and learn kung fu. Like a boarding school for kung fu, where housing and meals and such would be included in the price. can anybody recommend me somewhere in the USA only?

The Wahlum Temple in Orlando accepts live in students as I understand it. Look there first.

KOKarate

Green Belt
Reaction score
No where at the moment. Traveling is not a good plan right now

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree that in the current Covid era, travel is not a good idea. I would find it egregious if a live-in full-time program was happening right now. Very unsafe.

However, Yang Jwing-Ming set up a program in Northern California, a few years ago, where he teaches Shaolin and Fukien White Crane and Taiji and Baji and maybe some other stuff. It's a ten year program, I'm not sure if you can take a shorter commitment. But you can look it up, see if you can find it on the internet and get some info.

The other thing, Northern California (all of California, really) has been on fire for a while. It is possible that his facilities were burned to the ground. I have no idea if that has happened, but many many many buildings have burned, whole communities have been wiped off the map.

Latest Discussions