Where are you?

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Where are you today? Where are you in your training? Are you where you wanted to be, have you surpassed your expectations? Are you happy with where you are?

OP
Rob Broad

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Personally, I know I am not where I wanted to be. I am in a Northern Canadian communty and Martial arts are not that popular up here. All there is up here are traditional martial arts, and nobdoy has much of an idea what Kenpo is about. I would like to get a school going but the rents are very expensive, and all of the health clubs have a shotokan, or gojo ryu club in them. I am attempting( and failing miserably) to put togetehr a proposal for the college/univesrity, but it is even difficult to find out what they are looking for.

On the good side I am teaching a few Karate Do black belts some concepts and have started working the tecniques and forms with them on Monday nights. Hopefully I can get a second night and start working with some beginners in the fall.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Where am I with my training? I'm progressing how I should. I wish I had more personal practice time, but other than that, I'm getting there, step by step, and in no big hurry. I just want to be sure I understood well what I need to do for my next rank and repeating the basics over to become better. I am happy with how my dojo is doing the training. I plan on staying with the dojo for a long time. Since all the other females are either in college or high school and their plans may change in the future, my instructor is working hard on getting me to become good so that I can be one of his instructors some day. I'm already established in my town raising a family and won't be going anywhere else for quite a while.

- Ceicei

M

Mark Weiser

Actually I am working on buying Practice Gear. Pads, Strike targets, Kick pads, Rubber weapons, etc.... for my classes and for my own training room I am putting in my house.

SO I am where I think I should be lol. Training wise I am learning from two sources to enhance my Kenpo armoury lol.

Mark E. Weiser

K

KenpoGirl

I am FINALLY in the process of pretesting for my 3rd Brown test. It has been a long and frustrating process, and a challenge to maintain all techniques, forms and sets up to and including the 3rd brown requirements.

The question that now remains for me is if I have what is required to continue on. ie can I dedicate the time that is required to maintain what I know AND continue to learn new material?

But for right now all I'm concerned with is getting through the pretest and test for my 3rd brown.

Dot
:asian:

O

OC Kid

I actually I am but Im not.
I am because I accomplished a lot of things in my MA career.

Im not because there are alot of things I wished I would be able to do but Im older now.
According to my friend and master John turnage. Im at the age where I should be teaching and passing the knowledge on. I wish I was younger so I could compete again with the youngins even do a cage match.

But now Im teaching my son and Im passing the knowledge on to him, that in itself is very very satisfying. im also giving back to the community and that is very satisfying also.

Storm

Green Belt
Reaction score
Last year I got further than I ever thought I would when I got my BB. It was an amazing thing to achieve and I will never forget it.

Now - I want to be better but feel I have gone backwards and not doing so well. Would like more training on my own syllabus, never happy with what I get but I have always wanted it all and want it yesterday.

Im not sure if I would recomend anyone to rush to BB. I'd advise them to take their time and enjoy where they are at as things do change afterwards and there is alot more responcibility which Im not sure I was ready for. But things take time to get used to and I wont give up as I love what Im doing, there is no rush and the people I work with are great.

So in a nut shell Im further now than I every dreamed but now that Im there I want to go further and be better.

Cheers

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rob Broad said:
Where are you today? Where are you in your training? Are you where you wanted to be, have you surpassed your expectations? Are you happy with where you are?
Hi Rob,

I am very happy and very contented and I have been for more than a year. I think I really shifted my focus, from myself to others, when I began teaching karate. It's amazing, but in order to be an effective teacher, among other things, you have to know whatever it is you are going to teach. In the process you become a better student and at the same time belts become secondary to that. I love where I am, because at that point I began to really enjoy the journey without the focus on the destination. When you travel like that you are so contentedly occupied, forgetting to check the map, that you have no idea you've already passed the places you thought you just had to be at!

MJ :)

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Rob Broad said:

I have gone as far as I want in Kenpo. I am now a weekend warrior and hopeless beginner in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

I am where I want to be now...but not where I wanted to be 15 years ago...I used to think I would do Kenpo forever...but life doesn't always work out that way... First, I went back to school to get my MBA at night, then my school burned down, then I got a job where I traveled 50% of the time, then I developed a chronic sinus problem, then I had kids, then I got my sinus fixed, then I decided to do something completely different then I had done before. Now, instead of an old-timer Black Belt at an established Kenpo school, I am an old fat guy trying to keep up with the youngsters at one of the toughest schools I've ever seen.

I have suprassed my expectations...and fallen short of them... First, I never thought I would go past Brown Belt in Kenpo. I didn't think I had the physical ability. Well, determination and mental application enabled me to overcome my talent deficit and my endomorphic physique. So I got to 3rd Black in Kenpo and was a decent instructor. Now, due to the hiatus described above, age, limited time, lack of talent, and physical condition, I am nowhere near as proficient as I once was in Kenpo and I am not as good at BJJ as I thought I would be (based on my Kenpo experience).

T

TIGER DRAGON FIGHT

i'm definately further than i ever thought i'd be. currently i'm a 2nd dan shaolin kempo and luvin it. i'm a senior instructor at one of our studios in the LA area. i'd like to see myself running my own school within the next 2 years. i would like to explore wushu in the near futrue just because i love forms and how poetic it looks. :jedi1:

kempojack

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm enjoying were I am very much. I'm currently learning alot of new material but what I really enjoy is that my instructor is taking me back to all the tech's that I learned at the colored belt levels. He is showing me suttle changes that allow me to execute the tech's with more power with less effort and also improving my speed and accuracy.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well I'd like to say, but there are a couple people (maybe they're one person) of questionable emotional stability who are stalking me with a cell phone. :)

Any student who is truly a student is never satisfied. As for me, I'm doing okay and one day I'm going to really learn this stuff. Back to looking over my notes.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's a loaded question for me really.
My instructor lives about 9 hours away from me and leads every bit as busy a life as I do. It makes it more than a little difficult to get lessons or feedback. To be honest, constant feedback is what I really CRAVE. It's hard to make progress without it.
As a wise man once said:
Any student who is truly a student is never satisfied.

Other than that: I'm blessed to be in Kenpo! I love it. It fits the way I think and the way I see things very well. I've also been learning more about other arts...and that's always fun. I've made some great friends, home and a broad, in the martial arts too....that helps.

Hope yall's journey is going well.

Your brother
John

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
What is the cliche'..."When you reach the top of the mountain, it is then that you are able to see the other, higher peaks."

I have surpassed the expectations I set for myself when I began this journey, but each step has brought with it a new perspective and a modification of the original goal. In my system, I have reached "the end" of learning new material. But, I have also come under the tutelage of a senior master who has taken me back to the beginning with a new perspective and new goals.

I am very happy with where I am, because I am moving forward with motivation, direction, and focus.

OP
Rob Broad

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think it is part of human nature to keep seeking even once we have reached the level we always wanted to be at. What do you think?

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've got the bar in my mind set so high I'll never obtain it. The more I learn, the more I realize I don't know. Creates an impossibility to ever get caught up with where I might hope to be. The more I run toward the destination, the further away it gets. Wish I could say it's because I'm a perfectionist, but anybody who has seen how dirty the inside of my car is will testify that "that ain't the case". Kinda keeps the journey perpetually new, though. Alzheimers, anybody?

Dave

TheEdge883

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've been in the martial arts for just under 10 years. I have instructed for 3 years, but since leaving my old school, I have chosen to put aside everything I have learned, forget what I have been taught and start over.

Where am I in my training? Right back to the beginning.

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi I am right here exactly where I want to be back on the board, I was pretty busy though, keeping up with all my friends and admirerers on the other boards,
we have been keeping up with local new's and events that have happened in the last couple of weeks, then having them being deleted because we can't get along. I just can't keep up with it trying to remember the stuff so we can get right back to it, but that is what happens with getting old..I love the art I do right now FMA, single and double stick Kali, it is great no body contact lots of arobics and plenty of hitting the bags and sticks and the flow is good for the bod, fortunatly I am still in good shape even after so many years of altercations and traffic accidents and horses (they are tough on the bod) Now I just work on the horse stance not as severe as in Kajukenbo or ken/mpo and the drills and the flow(i said that)its late, night Regards, G

Latest Discussions