When You started What was

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
what was the hardest thing for you in the first few months of the first martial art you studied, why?

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
This ones easy. I still remember the two hardest things about beginning my martial arts life -- Stretching, and keeping my feet pointed in the right direction. To this day I still think about my feet everytime I get into a stance.

Stretching was (is) hard for me because I'm not naturally flexible. I have to work really hard to stay flexible at all, and I lose it real quick. As for the foot placement thing, I don't know why but I had real trouble with it.

OP
tshadowchaser

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can relate to both of those. I was flexable when I started but my feet had a mind of their own.

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
Flexibility's one of my cons too. It's been my greatest problem from day 1.

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
what was the hardest thing for you in the first few months of the first martial art you studied, why?
Easy answer for me: Forcing myself to breathe and relax when practicing a technique or kata.

Why? I guess the stress of trying to remember and replicate exactly something you have just been shown causes most people to "freeze up" and move like a robot. Plus, it's instinctive for most people to think that tense muscles are stronger and transmit more power, when the truth is that relaxed muscles and proper mechanics are the real key in MA.

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The hardest thing for me? Definately the terminology, and naming of techniques.

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Being able to flow, I had this bad habit of stopping after every move. It went away by the time I arrived at yellow belt. But that was a hard concept for me to grasp at first.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Same here. I had a fear of being hit. My flexibility (or lack there of) was a problem (couldn't even touch my toes!), and my two left feet LOL. But I picked up on stuff quickly (memorized stuff), but my body didn't want to do it LOL.

But I'm the total reverse now. If I spar, I WANT to get hit (for conditioning), my technique improved a lot, and I can do splits. So don't say "never" hehehehe

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
keeping my head back when kicking, and keeping my knee down. I could do one or the other when I concentrated but it was really hard to do both.

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
NOTE TO MODERATOR: This thread has apparently/inadvertantly been duplicated by the same originating member in this same "General Talk" forum.

Would it be possible to merge the replies to both threads into a common thread for the sake of continuity and clarity?

Thanks,

Martial Tucker
Chairman,
Department of Redundancy Department:asian:

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Getting that sense of balance was the most difficult part in the beginning. Let's face it: most of us wear shoes most of the time, and as a result, without training / conditioning, the muscles of the feet are weak, and ill-prepared.

As time went on, the foot muscles grew stronger, as did many of the other muscles in the legs. After three months, the body stopped wobbling when I was standing on one foot.

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
The hardest thing for me was relaxing and not using my strenght but focusing on technique. This is still a problem every once in a while with new techniques.

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
chinto01 said:
The hardest thing for me was relaxing and not using my strenght but focusing on technique. This is still a problem every once in a while with new techniques.

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob
Agreed.....I'm 6'1 210 lbs, played linebacker for a big college "back in the day". I still lift and work out religiously, so I know I'm much more powerful than anyone else in the dojang, and most people on the street. So, it's hard for me even after nearly 10 years of MA training to focus on proper technique and not just try to overpower my opponent. My brain has been "hardwired" since I was in jr. high to just run over people. And I don't mind being hit, so I don't avoid contact....That continues to be my biggest MA challenge.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My personal view is stretching and proper position, as many have stated thus far. My Sensei tells me, too, that I announce my movements.

egg

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The hardest thing I remember was having to execute techniques in front of the instructor. On my first belt test my instructor would give the command for a down block and I would be the only one to execute a good upward block. For a inside block I'd execute a outside block. I just couldn't get it right.

Years later (14 about) I had this same problem everytime GM Remy Presas would come around at a seminar. It was like radar he could be watching me and I would screw it up (the technique) and then he would kindly demonstrate it (the proper way) for me on my poor partner. Funny I don't think I ever ran into that guy again in all of the seminars I attended of Hock's or GM Remy's. I wonder why :idunno:

Mark

Latest Discussions