when to move the hips?

don bohrer

Brown Belt
Reaction score
When do you start to push or rotate the hips forward on non spinning attacks such as a reverse punch or front kick? Should your attack motion preceed the movement of the hips? Should the hips be involved from the onset? Do you wait until the last moment for the hips to move? Should the hips move at all? If not... why?

don

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You should feel as if you are kneeling from the beginning of your motion however I feel the turning of the hips should not begin until you have reached the 1/2 way point of your basic motion.

YouAgain

Green Belt
Reaction score
Right from the beggining! Our style is really big on hip movements!

but I know other more traditional styles are still real staunch!

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by YouAgain
Right from the beggining! Our style is really big on hip movements!

but I know other more traditional styles are still real staunch!
So you turn before you settle? Interesting.

S

Shinzu

my hips move while i am in motion and stop when i am not. everything starts and ends at the same time for greater movement and power.

YouAgain

Green Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Touch'O'Death
So you turn before you settle? Interesting.

Well say for a punch..... as soon as we start retracting our hand we start with the Koshi No Hineroi (sp) (hip movement)!!!

OP
don bohrer

don bohrer

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Should your shoulders stay in time and stop when your hips do, or is it ok for your shoulder rotate farther as long as you keep your posture?

don

W

WhiteTiger

Everyone's hands and/or hips do not move at the same speed in relation to eachother, so when you begin to rotate your hips is not as important as when you finish your rotation. Your hips should reach their maximum travel toward the target at the same time your weapon does. In the example of a reverse punch into a hard bow stance, your fist, shoulder, and hips should all lock into position at the same instant.

P

pknox

Originally posted by don bohrer
Should your shoulders stay in time and stop when your hips do, or is it ok for your shoulder rotate farther as long as you keep your posture?

don

Don -

Sometimes that is a stylistic difference. If I remember correctly from what I've seen in Shotokan, for example, the JKA folks stress keeping the shoulder back, while the SKA folks allow it to push forward. The former says that the retraction keeps the movement biomechanically sound and strong, while the latter insists that the extra reach from the extension is crucial.

Personally, as for timing of movement, I would move either my shoulder or hips at the last moment possible, so as to avoid telegraphing my offensive maneuver.

Latest Discussions