When the ninja appearance?

trueaspirer

Green Belt
Reaction score
Does anybody know at what point in time it was that the whole idea of ninjas became so popular? I know that as of a hundred years ago, almost nobody outside of the orient knew that they existed at all.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
trueaspirer said:
Does anybody know at what point in time it was that the whole idea of ninjas became so popular? I know that as of a hundred years ago, almost nobody outside of the orient knew that they existed at all.

My guess would be about 30 to 35 years ago, when Hollywood and other movie producers were looking for bad guys with mystical powers and wore hoods. This way their faces woudl nto be requried so anyone could play the part.

Just a thought as I have no proof.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
My guess would be about 30 to 35 years ago, when Hollywood and other movie producers were looking for bad guys with mystical powers and wore hoods. This way their faces woudl nto be requried so anyone could play the part.

Just a thought as I have no proof.

I have no idea, but I will say this is a good assumption Mr. Parsons.

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
In the mid 1980s The ninja craze was in full swing At the time it also was very ubused by people useing it as a teaching tool for crime. In Washington Dc I believe one person was teaching wanna be ninjitsu to teenagers and testing by haveing commit burglary. If they were not caught he promoted them Then the law caught up with him He went to jail Here in my town a crazy was teaching teenagers ninjitsu And 2 of them took a teenage girl used there home made ninja weapons and killed her I worked with the local police getting this person discredited as a fraud. Those teen agers have been in prison now for about 18 years lifes were ruined by a fraud that should went to jail himself. Now other places in the U S saw crime being done by fraud teachers And soon it died back at that time I believe Hayes and bussey were the only 2 legit instructors in the U S. Now there are several.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Robert Lee said:
I believe Hayes and bussey were the only 2 legit instructors in the U S. Now there are several.
I wouldn't call Bussey legit. He left the Bujinkan before getting a shidoshi (teaching) license.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kreth said:
I wouldn't call Bussey legit. He left the Bujinkan before getting a shidoshi (teaching) license.

I do not know about that. He left before he was a fifth dan- which is when you are a qualified teacher. But Hayes was not a fifth dan when he started teaching- far from it. They may both have gotten the same assistant teaching permision that people before fifth dan can get in special circumstances.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
I do not know about that. He left before he was a fifth dan- which is when you are a qualified teacher. But Hayes was not a fifth dan when he started teaching- far from it. They may both have gotten the same assistant teaching permision that people before fifth dan can get in special circumstances.
One of the circumstances being that you have to teach under a qualified Shidoshi. Since Bussey immediately went off to do his own thing, I'd say it's reasonable to assume he wasn't training under the auspices of a Shidoshi.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kreth said:
One of the circumstances being that you have to teach under a qualified Shidoshi. Since Bussey immediately went off to do his own thing, I'd say it's reasonable to assume he wasn't training under the auspices of a Shidoshi.

True. I just mention this because Hayes also was not in the same country as his teacher. Bussey seems to have made more than one trip to Japan, and then ran when it looked like he got a decent rank that he was supposed to grow into.

Later, when he basically did not try training under a Bujinkan teacher at all, was a point where he made his intentions clear. But from the standpoint of someone there at the time, there really must not have been much difference between the two of them.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
If I had to speculate I would say from '78-'84. That is when most of the "Ninja" movies came out. By the mid-80's Sho Kosugi was already making qite a name for himself. Give the movie people a little info and an idea for something to make money and they will be sure to butcher it up.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
searcher said:
If I had to speculate I would say from '78-'84. That is when most of the "Ninja" movies came out. By the mid-80's Sho Kosugi was already making qite a name for himself. Give the movie people a little info and an idea for something to make money and they will be sure to butcher it up.
Probably two early contributors to the "Ninja boom" were Andy Adams' book "Invisible Assassins," and the Bond movie featuring ninja (You Only Live Twice?).

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kreth said:
Probably two early contributors to the "Ninja boom" were Andy Adams' book "Invisible Assassins," and the Bond movie featuring ninja (You Only Live Twice?).

There was a Bond Movie made in 1968 I believe, that had Ninja's. ;) :D

I saw it recently and I still like it. :)

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
There was a Bond Movie made in 1968 I believe, that had Ninja's. ;) :D

I saw it recently and I still like it. :)
Close. "You Only Live Twice" was released in 1967 (Thank you IMDB!). :lol:

Latest Discussions