When Shock Jocks Become Terrorists or Limbaugh Steps Over the Line

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Shock radio makes its money by telling people the comforting lies they want to hear, things that tickle their ids and get their genitals or fists pointed at a suitable target while bypassing the higher centers. We all know the drill. It's good immature fun. Howard Stern talks about his wee-wee and the girly parts of any woman who appears on his show. Mike Wiener calls himself "Savage" and foams at the mouth about anyone who isn't just like him.

But there are lines between entertainment and felony. Rush Limbaugh has just crossed an important one.

He said the riots would ensure a Democrat is not elected as president, and his listeners have a responsibility to make sure it happens.

"Riots in Denver, the Democrat Convention would see to it that we don't elect Democrats," Limbaugh said during Wednesday's radio broadcast. He then went on to say that's the best thing that could happen to the country.

USC Title 18, Part 1, Chapter 113B Section 2331 defines terrorism as:

…activities that involve violent… or life-threatening acts… that are a violation of the criminal laws of the United States or of any State and… appear to be intended (i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping; and… (C) occur primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the United States… [or]… (C) occur primarily outside the territorial jurisdiction of the United States…"

If there were any consistency in the Administration or Justice in the DOJ they'd send the SOB to Gitmo or a Syrian jail where he can be undergo "harsh interrogation" like anyone else who incites terrorism. The chances of that? Slim end of nothing whittled down to a point.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A little farther into the story:
Limbaugh cited Al Sharpton, saying the Barack Obama supporter threatened to superdelegates that "there's going to be trouble" if the presidency is taken from Obama.
Is Limbaugh supposedly inciting democrats to riot? They aren't really his core audience...
Besides, republicans aren't known for riots. Democrats, on the other hand...
That's democrats, at the democratic national convention, in a city with a democrat mayor rioting...
Democrats even misbehave at the Republican National Convention
Dreaming of riots at a democratic national convention is hardly inciting, it isn't even very insightful...

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Doesn't sound to me like he's advocating riots, it sounds like he's making a prediction based on the well-documented tendency among leftists to throw temper tantrums when they don't get their way.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Doesn't sound to me like he's advocating riots, it sounds like he's making a prediction based on the well-documented tendency among leftists to throw temper tantrums when they don't get their way.
Yes, but, accurate descriptions of democrats, their ideologies and their actions will not be tolerated.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If there were any consistency in the Administration or Justice in the DOJ they'd send the SOB to Gitmo or a Syrian jail where he can be undergo "harsh interrogation" like anyone else who incites terrorism. The chances of that? Slim end of nothing whittled down to a point.
Twist words much?
By the way, no American citizen, aside from the troops is at Gitmo, nor have American citizens been deported to Syria. Lying is not nice.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS:

Please keep the discussion at a mature, respectful level.

Please review our sniping policy http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/sho...d.php?p=427486.

Feel free to use the Ignore feature to ignore members whose posts you do not wish to read (it is at the bottom of each member's profile).

Thank you.

-Ronald Shin
-MT Supermoderator

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Gren,
your new avatar is causing me to have 70's flashbacks........I am pretty sure I had that as a blacklight poster back when Ed Parker was still an 8th Dan....LOL

And may i submitt that when someone is dishonest, pointing it out should be our first objective. Everyone should be concerned with the truth first and foremost.

Rule 7 of Kenpo- do nothing that is false

For all that we need people to remain civil, posting falsehoods is not a civil act.

Using "Chimp" to describe the President of the United States is not a civil act.

Yes we have the ignore feature. but ignoring such behaviors doesnt correct them. Like errant children, sometimes people need to be brought back into line.

OP
tellner

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry guys, I read the article all the way through and the transcript of a listener taking him to task. He did hope for riots, and he did say that it was important that his followers bring them about.

The guy is a terrorist by the current legal definition of the term. Send his cigar-chomping truth-mangling housekeeper-threatening junkie carcass to jail or a Syrian prison.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This transcript?
RUSH: We don't burn our cars. We don't burn down our houses. We don't kill our children. We don't do half the things the American left does. We need the American left -- and this is another great thing about Operation Chaos; nothing to do with my ego. We need as many ignorant Americans to wake up and find out exactly who the modern-day Democrat Party is as dominated by the far left in this country. We need that to be seen. Now, I am not inspiring or inciting riots. I'm dreaming. (singing to the tune of White Christmas) "I'm dreaming of riots in Denver." Remember 1968? And which party did that? It was the radicals in that party, the anti-war radicals, the same bunch of clowns that are running around defining the Democrat Party today. What the world thinks of us? There was an analogy just this week about somebody in the world. I'm drawing a mental blank about this. But the fact is that the Democrat Party has members in it that have already said, "There will be riots," or something to that effect. Al Sharpton.

He was throwing down the gauntlet to the superdelegates: "You take this election away from Barack Obama, and there's gonna be trouble. There's going to be trouble in Denver."
Yeah, desiring people see how idiotic the democratic party leadership is is inciting...

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Heh, there is even a left wing nutjob group called "Recreate 68"
He said Thursday that he would not respect the host committee's permit and would occupy the park, even if it forced police to intervene.
These aren't republicans and aren't really in Limbaugh's demographic...
War protesters promised a massive conflict at Civic Center on the eve of the 2008 Democratic National Convention, after losing in a lottery process Thursday that awarded a permit for the park to the party planner for Denver's host committee.
But, Limbaugh is at fault... right? Even though these kooks threatened "massive conflict" a month PRIOR to his comments?
Article Last Updated: 03/21/2008 03:09:44 AM MDT

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Twist words much?
By the way, no American citizen, aside from the troops is at Gitmo.

No, but there have been American citizen detainees there....

Look here

Of course, Hamdi was transferred to Norfolk, Virginia........declared an "enemy combatant"........not permitted to speak to a lawyer for two more years.......finally allowed to speak with a lawyer, with military personnel present and the condition that he not speak about the conditions he was kept under.......finally released by the U.S. and sent to Saudi Arabia.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, but there have been American citizen detainees there....

Look here

Of course, Hamdi was transferred to Norfolk, Virginia........declared an "enemy combatant"........not permitted to speak to a lawyer for two more years.......finally allowed to speak with a lawyer, with military personnel present and the condition that he not speak about the conditions he was kept under.......finally released by the U.S. and sent to Saudi Arabia.
When even the NY Times acknowledges he was captured on the battlefield, he might not be a shining example of good citizenship.... The military's biggest mistake in the case of Hamdi was failing to kill is traitorous *** on the battlefield they captured him. When you take up arms against the US Military, you deserve what you get.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
When even the NY Times acknowledges he was captured on the battlefield, he might not be a shining example of good citizenship.... The military's biggest mistake in the case of Hamdi was failing to kill is traitorous *** on the battlefield they captured him. When you take up arms against the US Military, you deserve what you get.

All of that notwithstanding, he was an American citizen held at Gitmo. Just as Rush Limbaugh is a big, fat, loudmouthed, ignorant,drug-addled moron who incited people to riot on his radio show, thereby committing what could be called an act of terrorism under existing statutes.

Facts are facts....truth is something altogether different, and subjective.
snark, snark, snark! :lol:

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Main Entry:in·cite Pronunciation: \in-ˈsīt\ Function:transitive verb Inflected Form(s):in·cit·ed; in·cit·ingEtymology:Middle French inciter, from Latin incitare, from in- + citare to put in motion — more at citeDate:15th century : to move to action : stir up : spur on : urge on

so, did Limbough try to incite a riot? does saying "there will be riots" count as inciting a riot? Plus, since Limbaugh's audience is primarily conservative, so does telling conservatives that the dems will riot count as inciting a riot?

not to me, or to anyone I have asked yet., but i guess if you really want to believe that, and dont care about being honest, I guess I could see how you might think Limbaugh was "inciting a riot"

and I have to add, if, IF Limbaugh was trying to incite a riot, then by that standard, Al Sharpton has been doing so for DECADES

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Main Entry:in·cite Pronunciation: \in-ˈsīt\ Function:transitive verb Inflected Form(s):in·cit·ed; in·cit·ingEtymology:Middle French inciter, from Latin incitare, from in- + citare to put in motion — more at citeDate:15th century : to move to action : stir up : spur on : urge on

so, did Limbough try to incite a riot? does saying "there will be riots" count as inciting a riot? Plus, since Limbaugh's audience is primarily conservative, so does telling conservatives that the dems will riot count as inciting a riot?

not to me, or to anyone I have asked yet., but i guess if you really want to believe that, and dont care about being honest, I guess I could see how you might think Limbaugh was "inciting a riot"

and I have to add, if, IF Limbaugh was trying to incite a riot, then by that standard, Al Sharpton has been doing so for DECADES

He said the riots would ensure a Democrat is not elected as president, and his listeners have a responsibility to make sure it happens.

Seen Here, on ABC news

...sounds like that fits the definition of "incitement" cited above to me, denials aftertward notwithstanding. :rolleyes:

It's on Youtube, now.

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
-You know, as someone who lives in Denver, and incidentally works security, and if he doesn't find another job soon, will be in the middle of the DNC in August, I do not find Limbaugh's comments amusing. I am neither Democrat nor Republican. The current candidates do not impress me. McCain is too close, in my opinion, to Bush. 8 years is enough, don't need another 4. Hillary and Barack are okay, but they were not my first choice. Of course, I don't believe that patriotism is measured by a lapel pin either.

-Someone pointed out the Recreate/68 group as lefties just waiting to cause trouble. I've heard from other directions that right-wingers will pretend to be lefties and stir up some chaos. What to believe? I don't believe in the labels so many use to divide everyone in nice, little boxes. Divide and conquer, right? We're always at eachother's throats, for whatever reason, because to compromise would be unthinkable.

"From the very beginning you are being told to compare yourself with others.
This is the greatest disease; it is like a cancer that goes on destroying
your very soul because each individual is unique,
and comparison is not possible.
I am just myself and you are just yourself.
There is nobody else in the world you can be compared with. "

www.osho.com

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Whatever else this partisan gasbag may be, I would not label Limbaugh a "terrorist" for words predicting violence. To me, terrorism may be an appropriate term only when the speaker is inciting to violence.

Indeed, I myself could see this election producing violence, if not insurrection, from lunatics of all fringes of the spectrum. Polarizing candidates + bad times + pre-existing and deep societal divisions = possible civil war.

I don't want it, don't advocate it, hope not to see it..... but truly worry about it.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The US won't fall into civil war over this or the election. They are too lazy to bother. They might riot over food or gas but not the election or what some radio personality said.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
No, not simply over an election. But most human disasters are multifactoral - a number or chain of things come together and build to a terrible result. Something after an election might set off a tinderbox.

I had this debate with Marginal some time back, and nothing would make me happier than to see both of you proven right, and I wrong.

Latest Discussions