When an author leaves cliffhangers

Discussion in 'The Library' started by PhotonGuy, Jun 3, 2017.

1. PhotonGuy

PhotonGuy Senior Master

I would have to agree with hoshin1600.

Also the fact that its a fantasy series and I've had my chops busted here before when I mentioned fantasy stuff.

2. Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog MT Senior Moderator Staff Member

• LifeTime Supporting Member
    Correction. You've had your chops busted here when it appeared you were having difficulty differentiating between fantasy and reality.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    No, as DD says you haven't, you have quite often seemed to mistake fantasy for reality. In the case of the Narnia series you should have looked up the author and read his intentions, which were to finish the series and not write any more books about Narnia. The last book actually rounded up everything to HIS satisfaction. As I said somethings the author will leave to his readers imaginations and it's so in this case. You can't complain, it's the author's wish and he knew what he was doing.

4. PhotonGuy

PhotonGuy Senior Master

So anyway this thread has died down but since we were discussing children's books and cliffhangers I want to mention this. There was this American author who wrote a children's book about a mouse and in the end of the book the mouse goes looking for his friend, a bird, and it ends in a cliffhanger because it doesn't say if he finds her. A classmate of mine said the author wasn't fair because he doesn't say if he finds her or not.

5. kempodisciple

kempodisciple MT Moderator Staff Member

This entire thread was focused around trying to know what book you were talking about, so it only briefly got to cliffhangers. Now you are reviving the thread, by mentioning a different book and again not mentioning its name...

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. PhotonGuy

PhotonGuy Senior Master

Exactly.

7. kempodisciple

But all that will do is repeat the issue. . which brings me to my question. What book are you talking about?

8. Buka

Buka Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    As an avid reader - minimum of a book a week, usually two, for well over fifty years, I appreciate what everyone is saying. Certain cliff hangers irritate me, as do books where the bad guy gets away. And yes, I know a sequel will be written and eventually he'll get caught. But it still irritates me.

I'm uncommonly passionate about books. Several books I disliked so badly that I tore them into pieces upon completion. Even read a couple of them decades later to see if I had matured. I hadn't. I tore them up with even more vigor.

As for kids books, so what, I'm a kid at heart anyway. I remember a few years ago, somebody told me about the book "Holes" which was common reading in a lot of schools. I had never heard of it. Oh, my God it blew me away. Absolutely loved it.

Everyone should read. Yeah, yeah, nobody has the time. Probably don't have time to train either.

And they all lived happily ever after. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. pdg

pdg Senior Master

I can't agree with this sentence more.

I love reading, it engages the mind and activates imagination so much more than TV/film can.

I don't read as consistently as you describe - not due to "don't have the time" but more down to mood. Last Wednesday I started reading The Hobbit and yesterday finished Return of The King - that's a series of books I reread at least once a year (along with the Narnia books as it happens, and the fifty shades set).

Our local doctor's surgery has a charity bookshelf that does 5 books for £1, I fairly often go and grab an armful of random books and drop off the previous armful (minus the ones I think I'll read again) - I pretty much view it as open ended rental.

It's also an activity I encourage in my kids - not that they need much encouragement but imo there's definite value in it for them.

10. Buka

Buka Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    I frequently reread books. Right now I’m retreading Centennial by Michener. Probably for the tenth time in forty something years. I’m enjoying it as much now as I ever did. In my opinion it has the richest cast of characters I’ve ever encountered in a novel. Not really surprising as it takes place over centuries.

But big thanks to you, Pdg, Made me realize I haven’t read them in years. They’re up next!

11. PhotonGuy

PhotonGuy Senior Master

Alright, the book is Stuart Little by E.B. White

12. kempodisciple

There were multiple questions in that book that went unanswered. I don't think it's unfair; rather I always thought it was the point of the book. Not everything ends wrapped with a tidy little bow, and I appreciate a children's book that acknowledges that.

13. drop bear

drop bear Sr. Grandmaster

Don't stress. Being a nerd is cool these days.

Otherwise Narnia is a good example because they were just kind of kicked back out in to the real world.

I have been racking my brain to think of books that just left me in the lurch.

Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy series ends pretty brutality.

The book mostly harmless anyway. Apparently the series has continued with a new author.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  14. PhotonGuy

PhotonGuy Senior Master

The only question that went unanswered that I can think of is whether or not Stuart finds his friend, the bird.

15. kempodisciple

It's been a while since I read it. But from what I remember, as a kid I thought there were a lot of unanswered questions, and loved that. That could very easily have been my child-mind misunderstanding it-I'll have to find it from my bookshelf.

16. granfire

granfire Sr. Grandmaster

Eowin Colfer wrote the 6th book, supposedly finishing it.

• Like Like x 1