What's your opinion on this set up?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, my method assumes I have a response from nearly any position. This is where the idea of the entry being separate from the technique comes in. I don't need 1,000 techniques. I need about 2 dozen entries and some techniques that work from each entry. I spend most of my time practicing those transitions from entry to technique (rather than just the end technique).

So, if my foot isn't close enough for that foot sweep, what else is available? Sometimes, it's a punch, sometimes it's the other foot. Sometimes it's an overhook. Just depends what the rest of the situation is. I don't need my one foot to be at the right distance to his one foot. I've still got plenty else to work with.

I think in my hapkido, we start with entry -> shock -> control -> take-down -> finish as one long technique, but as we get higher it becomes more about recognizing where you are in the technique and moving to a different one.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think in my hapkido, we start with entry -> shock -> control -> take-down -> finish as one long technique, but as we get higher it becomes more about recognizing where you are in the technique and moving to a different one.
Hapkido and NGA have a lot of similarities (though most HKD folks kick better and more often than NGA folks).

I teach the sequence as recover-disrupt-control. Recover and protect from the initial attack, disrupt their structure, then apply a technique for control. If at any point in the first two they initiate another attack, the sequence re-starts. Both recover and disrupt can include (or just be) strikes.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hapkido and NGA have a lot of similarities (though most HKD folks kick better and more often than NGA folks).

I teach the sequence as recover-disrupt-control. Recover and protect from the initial attack, disrupt their structure, then apply a technique for control. If at any point in the first two they initiate another attack, the sequence re-starts. Both recover and disrupt can include (or just be) strikes.

Considering my primary art, I hope I kick better than people of almost any other art. Especially grappling arts.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do you attack first when you apply this strategy?

All my training start from I attack first when my opponent has boxing guard.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

I wonder if hapkido inherently focuses more on kicks, or if thats just a result of how often hapkidoists/instructors have cross trained in tkd.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if hapkido inherently focuses more on kicks, or if thats just a result of how often hapkidoists/instructors have cross trained in tkd.
I've assumed it was part of the art, because it's what I've seen in every HKD school or demo I've seen. But I really don't know whether those schools also had TKD, or what influence it might have had on the instructor.

Maybe someone steeped in the HKD world has some input.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do you attack first when you apply this strategy?

All my training start from I attack first when my opponent has boxing guard.

Most of Hapkido starts when you are already grabbed by your opponent. It is a self defense art. However, our offensive techniques follow the same principles.

In my school, Taekwondo is the primary art, so we don't teach kicks in Hapkido class.

I've assumed it was part of the art, because it's what I've seen in every HKD school or demo I've seen. But I really don't know whether those schools also had TKD, or what influence it might have had on the instructor.

Maybe someone steeped in the HKD world has some input.

It is part of the art. To what degree, I'm not sure. At my school, we have 24 hours a week of TKD and 1 hour a week of HKD, so we focus on what HKD excels at over TKD (grappling and joint locks) during Hapkido class.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
it is my understanding that there are many branches of hkd. and in the various lineages each tend to have a difference of both curriculum and focus.

Some are very kick oriented and even have retained some kicking counters to kicks. Whereas others have maintained the locking grappling and throwing as a primary emphasis.

Unfortunately, i haven't been in an area long enough to actually enroll in a HKD dojang and progress in the art. I have taken a few hours of private lessons but that is not much.

It is surprising how much hosinsul is shared by hkd and kuk sool wan. this has been told to me by mid and high dan of both arts. But as i researched it, i became informed that the KSW founder, In Hyuk Suh allegedly studied under the founder of HKD.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions