Whats Your Favorite Submisson Lock/Choke??

P

pknox

How about the triangle choke? it seems to work well even when you don't get the armbar hooked in all the way, or the top leg in perfect position. You've got to love a hold that is that effective even when you don't have it technically perfect. If not that, I'd have to say a good old heel hook/achilles lock. Anyone who's ever been on the receiving end of one can tell you its none too pleasant.

P

pknox

Originally posted by KenpoGirl
Does the first part of "Squeazing the Peach" in American Kenpo qualify as a Choke Hold. :confused: ;)

heh heh heh :angel:

From someone with peaches, I can say an unqualified yes. ;)

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by pknox
How about the triangle choke? it seems to work well even when you don't get the armbar hooked in all the way, or the top leg in perfect position. You've got to love a hold that is that effective even when you don't have it technically perfect. If not that, I'd have to say a good old heel hook/achilles lock. Anyone who's ever been on the receiving end of one can tell you its none too pleasant.

If your on the bottom, whichever that is easiest and fastest. But it matters if the question is taken as being on the mat or in the street.

On the mat, hell yea. On the street, I'm not playing around on the bottom. A transition is needed.

J

JDenz

I don't know I think a triangle is very hard to finish if you don't have it in right. As long as the guy getting triangled is of equal skill if you don't have it on well he should be able to get out.

G

GouRonin

I like Okuri-eri-jime after I have his back and I slam my hooks in. Then it's a nice big body stretch as I pull tight.

P

pknox

Originally posted by JDenz
I don't know I think a triangle is very hard to finish if you don't have it in right. As long as the guy getting triangled is of equal skill if you don't have it on well he should be able to get out.

Agreed. But at least its a relatively safe bet, in that going for it doesn't necessarily open you up to a lot of other holds. While it can be easy to get out of the full triangle complete with the armlock, getting out of the guard should be harder. Worse comes to worse, you've at least got the guy in a loose high guard, which isn't such a bad thing to have, as you have some control over his arms. It also tends to keep your opponent relatively stationary, and the guard can be held for a while, which is great if you are in a long match and need some rest; you can then wait it out and when your opponent makes a mistake, usually out of frustration, he's yours - Royce used that strategy against Shamrock (albeit not completely successfully) in their rematch, I believe.

You are correct, though JDenz. If someone was of an equal or superior skill level to me, I would probably try more for leg locks, because they may be able to stay in my guard forever and not make a mistake (i.e. Shamrock as mentioned above), and I most likely wouldn't get a mount on them very long if at all. I'd hope to take their back, keep them off mine, and go for the legs (oh yeah -- and watch my neck - something I think we all learned from Royce vs. Shamrock I :) ). True, this approach would be much less safe than waiting it out in the guard, but chances are I would be more likely to make a mistake than them, so i would want to end the match as quickly as possible.

J

JDenz

I think everything you said is very true with a gi on. I am not a real big fan of the high guard and triangle agianst good people in no gi. I found when I roll with people better then me without a gi and dont have a solid arm bar grip when attempting the triangle (ie. arm is not dep enough to lock out in arm bar or it is deep enough and I am already stacked up) and there is no sleve to grap on to I just end up getting passed, or at least into a scramble for position.
I am also not a real big fan of staying on my back with a guy that is better then me. I try to keep shrimping and moving tryin to start a scramble. I feel like with better guys that I will probley make a mistake first or they will pass my guard, so I try to scramble and coome up with the better position all the time.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm 5'7" and I spend a lot of time on my back. There are some guys a I roll with that are smaller but generally they are bigger.

Because I work from back a lot of guys like to roll with me for that reason. I would say its good training but the bigger they get, the harder it gets to get out from the bottom.

Thats why I too would try not to get stacked and keep my techniques on the bottom more simple and direct while looking for the transition.

When I'm on top. I have better control from the side. Thats why I look for the Americana and why they defend it, it opens them up for other submissions.

OP
ace

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by KenpoGirl
Does the first part of "Squeazing the Peach" in American Kenpo qualify as a Choke Hold. :confused: ;)

heh heh heh :angel:
OUCH is The Word

Yeah I Would Scream Uncle
:wah: :wah: :wah:

P

pknox

Originally posted by akja
I'm 5'7" and I spend a lot of time on my back. There are some guys a I roll with that are smaller but generally they are bigger.

Because I work from back a lot of guys like to roll with me for that reason. I would say its good training but the bigger they get, the harder it gets to get out from the bottom.

Good point. In my case though, at 230, I'm usually as big if not bigger than most of the guys I roll with, so the size differential isn't such a big deal with me. However, one thing I've noticed is that you small guys tend to be a lot faster, and have a lot more stamina than me. :) Therefore, I use the guard more as a technique to get rest, and also to keep you little guys where I can see you. :D

OP
ace

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
bahhh two hand choke.

I Like This 1 from the Mount(tateshio gatame)
it sets up The Armlock verry nice.

I would have to say of all the Chokes out there
This is one of the most comon,next to the Sleeper hold of course.

Jdenz has used this choke well & brought it
to my attention.

If it works Use it:asian:

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by pknox
Good point. In my case though, at 230, I'm usually as big if not bigger than most of the guys I roll with, so the size differential isn't such a big deal with me. However, one thing I've noticed is that you small guys tend to be a lot faster, and have a lot more stamina than me. :) Therefore, I use the guard more as a technique to get rest, and also to keep you little guys where I can see you. :D

Your right, on bigger guys I can usually get the back.

OP
ace

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I am like the hulk lol. Hulk squish puny humans throat lol.
Don't make Him Angry U would not Like him When he's angry

& Folks Hide The Dr. Pepper it's his Source of Strenth.
LoL =-)

J

JDenz

Ya just ask Bill about the 3 inch slam and the two hand choke lol

OP
ace

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by baronv
leg lock, heel hook, and reverse heel hook.
Cool Locks The Reverse Heel Hook is
The Technique I Used To Win My 1st MMA Fight
Heel Hook.Kneebar combo.

I

Infight

I really dont like leg locks, its hard to fix position to apply a good leg lock, ankle lock, etc...
I think triangle a good one against newbies, like someone said, against experienced guys, its not easy to apply a good triangle, so you can be choked by him, realllllly dangerous.
Rear nake choke, or most known as "Mata Leão", is the easiest way to win, just need a little work to get on back, but its not a big problem isnt?

Latest Discussions