What's your daily training like?

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here's that diet I sent over to Mauthos, fel free to give it a go if you like.

The key is to stock your fridge and keep it stocked with protein/meat/fish so you never reach for the evil goodies when hungry and you need to get your game organised for the work place so to make this doable.

Breakfast 7am: One fillet white fish (sole/plaice/sea bass), handful olives, watercress, every other day half avocado, big handful blueberries

[Out the door, 8/8.30am Protein shake (instead of powder can use soya or almond milk (never with regular milk!) with couple eggs or just egg whites thrown in) – optional] – You only need this dose if you are putting on muscle

10.30am diced venison or v lean steak (cooked when cooking breakfast at home and taken to work), watercress, green leaves, mixed olives, few cherry tomatoes, carrot, other half of avocado (often have tuna, white fish cooked from home or salmon instead of steak/venison)

12pm (pre-gym lunch) half grilled chicken

12.40 – 1.40pm Gym – work permitting

Immediately post gym high protein/low carb protein shake with additional BCAAs - You only need this dose if you are putting on muscle/training in lunch time

2pm other half grilled chicken, some peppers, cucumber (sweet potato for muscle bulk carbs)

4pm 120gm smoked salmon (or tuna - tuna in a can fine and cheap), raspberries

Dinner One or two fillets white fish (sole/plaice/sea bass/sea bream), green leaves, broccoli, carrot, blueberries

Snacks Heaps of berries, some fruit

Before sleep (i) Protein shake (can be home made, ie almond milk (you get used to it quick), couple/three egg whites (I keep the yolks in too as can’t be stuffed just whites); or (ii) some chicken or fish.

Comments:
Mix it up but the aim is to pack in the protein servings staggered through the day and dump almost all the carbs initially and then only eat good carbs (ie from whole foods (brown rice, wild rice, sweet potatoe), and if possible after training) and alternate different protein sources where possible, ie not all chicken, definitely not all red meat/steak. When you’re peckish stuff your gob with berries etc and dump all the chocolates and sugar drinks out of the house, cut back on the booze (sorry).

I have a busy job and long hours so can testify as long as your work has a fridge, this diet is viable, you simply need to be eating when you are working (I admit may be harder/impossible if you work with your hands or do labour to find the time for all those meal hits as I just read and type as I chew). The protein and fish does make it an expensive way to eat but if you want to lean up but retain muscle, ie not loose the fat just via running which will also burn muscle, then this is the kind of diet for you.

Breakfast is almost as quick as making porridge, white fish such as the above cooks in 6 – 8 mins max in the pan, and you either cook your other piece of fish for 10.30am at the same time or in another pan cook your steak (I can get some venison relatively cheap from local market (and sometimes in the super market) and it is leaner than the beef)
You need to bring in some stuff such as the 10.30am meal from home otherwise too expensive simply buying this on the trot (I get the other stuff on way to work from the supermarket and put in in the work fridge.
If you buy a shake, check it is high protein and low carb, not a 50/50 split.

Ditch the coffee and drink a cup of green tea with every/almost every meal – green tea is “stated” to be a metabolism booster and to aid in digestion.
Keep your water intake at a good level also.

You don’t need the sweet potato or brown rice at first but after month or so phase it in, as on just the protein is hard to retain or build any muscle size. To maintain energy levels if you are to dump the carbs you need all of the above protein hits.

This is similar to a weight lifting diet but is just as effective for martial arts and competition, it has been working for me and my energy levels when fighting (or runnning cross country for up to an hour) have not suffered. If you are doing serious endurance events, then obviously you will need more wholefood carbs.

Obviously Mauthos has to take this in the context of his diabtes so any one out there with any conditions needs to take that into consideration. Since being on this diet for a few months and staying away from all processed foods and fast foods it has made me realise how much rubbsih must be in those food types. The odd time I have been caught short and wolfed down a big mac or kfc (actually kfc didn't really have any bad effect) I have felt like puking or running to the can within half an hour - body not used to the synthetic food I guess.

Great post. Nutrition is still my biggest enemy when it comes to having a better fitness level, although lately I have learned to "fight back" against this foe!

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My weekly training routine is as follows.

Sunday - surfing, hiking, active outdoor activity.
Monday - wake at 5 am. Yoga, stretching, push ups, sit ups, kata ab roller, jujutsu calisthenics, jump rope, kettle bells, hand stand work. Total 1.5 hours. Afternoon Crossfit after work. Evening off. Cook healthy meals.
Tuesday - wake at 5 am. Yoga, stretching, tai chi, all kata, all kobudo, sparring combos, medicine ball work. Total1.5 hours. Evening, cook healthy meals, teach at my dojo.
Wednesday - Repeat Monday morning. Evening, cook healthy then jujutsu.
Thursday - Repeat Tuesday morning. Repeat Tuesday evening.
Friday - repeat Monday morning. Repeat Wednesday evening.
Saturday - Wake at 7 am. Crossfit at 9 am.

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
In the morning I meditate. Stretch and warm up. Practice qigong, followed by Taiji forms. Plan my lessons/sessions for the day before grabbing a book and reading a few pages on the physical/spiritual aspects of the martial arts. It keeps me flexible, balanced and centered. It also gives me new thoughts to share with my students and clients. At various stages throughout the week, I do resistance-exercises and stamina-building work to keep my heart and lungs strong. Martial arts gives me the opportunity to stay focused and inspire others on a daily basis 🧘‍♂️

Last edited:

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I get up in the morning and urinate. Then I check my blood sugar (diabetic) and my heart (Atrial Fibrillation). Then I have a half-cup of coffee and a bowl of Grape Nuts. Then I get a shower, bend on a suit, and go to work.

At work, I walk the length of the building at lunch time to get to my private spot to try to eat in solitude. Then I walk back to my desk. I'm on the second floor; I take the elevator.

On Mondays and Thursdays, I go to my dojo and spend 2 1/2 hours teaching and learning. No sparring, I am on blood thinners and bruises are not a good thing anymore. If my smart watch tells me my pulse is over 115, I sit down for a bit. Sometimes I do more, sometimes I do less. Lot of kata and kihon.

On the weekends, I do yard work when the weather permits. I have a riding mower, but I also do a lot of walking and I am an avid gardener, so I spend a lot of time standing up, sitting down, moving around, and so on. It's not huge exercise, but it's something. I usually end up sweating and staggering around a bit.

I avoid sugar, I don't drink, I don't take recreational drugs. My legs don't work correctly anymore, so I can't walk very far without being in extreme pain. Due to my blood circulation, that won't be getting better, and exercise only makes it worse, no better.

I wish I had done more when I was younger, but I didn't. Now I am paying the price, and there's not much more I can do but ride this out. I'm 63 years old.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I get up in the morning and urinate. Then I check my blood sugar (diabetic) and my heart (Atrial Fibrillation). Then I have a half-cup of coffee and a bowl of Grape Nuts. Then I get a shower, bend on a suit, and go to work.

At work, I walk the length of the building at lunch time to get to my private spot to try to eat in solitude. Then I walk back to my desk. I'm on the second floor; I take the elevator.

On Mondays and Thursdays, I go to my dojo and spend 2 1/2 hours teaching and learning. No sparring, I am on blood thinners and bruises are not a good thing anymore. If my smart watch tells me my pulse is over 115, I sit down for a bit. Sometimes I do more, sometimes I do less. Lot of kata and kihon.

On the weekends, I do yard work when the weather permits. I have a riding mower, but I also do a lot of walking and I am an avid gardener, so I spend a lot of time standing up, sitting down, moving around, and so on. It's not huge exercise, but it's something. I usually end up sweating and staggering around a bit.

I avoid sugar, I don't drink, I don't take recreational drugs. My legs don't work correctly anymore, so I can't walk very far without being in extreme pain. Due to my blood circulation, that won't be getting better, and exercise only makes it worse, no better.

I wish I had done more when I was younger, but I didn't. Now I am paying the price, and there's not much more I can do but ride this out. I'm 63 years old.
You're a mess!:). The good thing is that you have not succumbed to it. I feel mental attitude is a big part of pushing on thru old age. Sure, at 72 (in a few days) I've got some heart and other problems too, but still think I'm 42. In fact, I feel better than I did then. Am I deluding myself? Does this mental self-deception allow some degree of physical self-deception as well? I think so.

Have you seen a three-legged dog or other animal? They don't seem aware that they're missing a limb. They just go on, doing business as usual. While they're not leaping over fences anymore, they seem happy and get the most out of their three legs as possible. This fatalistic outlook, accepting that which cannot be changed, keeps the negative aspects from influencing those positive aspects which do remain.

I don't baby myself, but don't push myself to the danger point. I don't let my age dictate my perception of what I can do or not do. I went 20 years without running even a single step. I'd walk fast, but never broke into a run. Why? Because I though old people don't. Then, I decided to do it - well, a slow jog anyway -and ending up with a short sprint. I also lift weights three times a week and do kata at home almost daily with the goal of improving. At older age, if you don't work to move forward, you'll go backward. It's work! But better than the alternative.

One sign of old age is rambling on, which I seem to be doing. Maybe some of these thoughts can be useful for older martial artists on their continuous journey in MA and life. Always onward!

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Well stick to your training this time. So that we can give you are hard time in Martial Talk.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I used to run ever other day, but I try to use walking to replace my running. I try to walk 3 miles daily. When I walk, I like to train MA along with. I have about 10 of those combos. I can drill those combos left and right over and over when I walk.

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When I walk, I like to train MA along with.
Today, when I walk 3 miles on the beach, I did the following drills 20 times each. It took me 1 hour and 20 minutes.

- downward parry, jab, front toes kick.
- block/grab/pull, cross, front heel kick.
- hook, roundhouse kick.
- side kick, spin back fist.
- double palms chop, front kick, uppercut, double hooks.
- downward parry, comb hair, arm wrap, head lock, front cut.
- back arm jam leading arm, outer hook.
- jab, jab, cross.
- jab, jab, hook.
- jab, jab, uppercut.
- jab, jab, overhand.
- jab, hook, cross.
- jab, hook, hook.
- jab, hook, uppercut.
- jab, hook, overhand.

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Formal practice on Sundays 1:30 - 5:00.

Practice everyday at least lightly. I have students come to the house on Thursdays. Play tennis 2 times a week. We take the hounds on walks into the local hills at least once a week, plus 2 mile late night walks where they get to chase bunnies, coyotes and anything else that moves. Always moving…so far.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
2 mile late night walks
I treat my daily workout as "battery charging". I try to design a daily exercise that I can continue to do for 1 hour and 20 minutes (I usually do between 6pm to 7:20pm). I can walk for that 1 hour and 20 minutes. But it's not enough. If I add in kick and punch drills, I will get better result. Also, if I add in 20 pushups for every 200 yards that I walk. that will be the best result that I can get - endurance, balance, flexibility, muscle build, ...

Last edited:

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
I treat my daily workout as "battery charging". I try to design a daily exercise that I can continue to do for 1 hour and 20 minutes (I usually do between 6pm to 7:20pm). I can walk for that 1 hour and 20 minutes. But it's not enough. If I add in kick and punch drills, I will get better result. Also, if I add in 20 pushups for every 200 yards that I walk. that will be the best result that I can get - endurance, balance, flexibility, muscle build, ...
Good point. I often do a slow jog and typically have my stick with me. I go through our Amara’s and speed building drills. At 68 years old I do find that a need to pace myself and pay attention to hydration and recovery.

Praveeny28

White Belt
Reaction score
I am a novice when it comes to exercising and training. But here is my plan to begin with:-
I warm up for 5 mins starting with light cardio to raise your heart rate and warm up your muscles. This can include jogging in place, jumping jacks, or brisk walking.
Then I perform each exercise at maximum effort for 20 seconds, followed by a 10-second rest or low-intensity recovery. I repeat each exercise for four rounds before moving on to the next.
Here is my exercise plan:-
  1. Exercise 1: Jumping Jacks
    • Jumping jacks are a full-body exercise that elevates heart rate.
    • 20 seconds of jumping jacks
    • 10 seconds of rest
  2. Exercise 2: Bodyweight Squats
    • Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, and perform squat repetitions.
    • 20 seconds of bodyweight squats
    • 10 seconds of rest
  3. Exercise 3: Push-Ups
    • Perform push-ups with proper form, either on toes or knees.
    • 20 seconds of push-ups
    • 10 seconds of rest
  4. Exercise 4: Mountain Climbers
    • Start in a push-up position and alternate bringing knees toward chest.
    • 20 seconds of mountain climbers
    • 10 seconds of rest
  5. Exercise 5: Burpees
    • Start in a standing position, drop into a squat, kick your feet back into a plank, perform a push-up, return to a squat, and jump up.
    • 20 seconds of burpees
    • 10 seconds of rest
  6. Exercise 6: High Knees
    • Jog in place, bringing knees as high as possible with each step.
    • 20 seconds of high knees
    • 10 seconds of rest
I make sure to cool down for 5 mins after finishing my workout. I cool down to gradually lower my heart rate and stretch my muscles. I do static stretches for major muscle groups, holding each stretch for 15-30 seconds.
To stay well-hydrated throughout my workout, and remember to listen to your body. If you're a beginner or new to HIIT, you can start with fewer rounds and gradually increase the intensity and duration as my fitness level improves. Adequate rest and recovery are essential, so I allow at least 48 hours of rest between intense HIIT sessions.

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Was just wondering how many of you guys train daily, what exercises you do and what your maximum is (e.g 80 push ups)?

I'm personally trying to get in with the whole morning work out thing. Started rolling out of bed at 6am, doing some stretches (for kicks i do TKD so flexibility is quite important), then some jump rope, push ups and finishing with some pull ups before going to have a shower.Then in the evening ill do the same just more reps.I'm also wanting to start up training my cardio e.g cycling/ jogging as i recently stopped my close to daily swimming schedule.Still not quite sure of my maximum reps for either push ups or pull ups but it close to around 40 & 20, i'm an ectomorph so i'm planning for this to improve this massively with my new routine.so, how about you guys?
I go to class 2 times a week. At home I do some supplementary training, mostly forms(but I got to be careful I have a slippery wooden floor in my living room so got to be cautious when training kicks) I also do isometrics at least once a week but I'm trying to improve and do them at least 3 times a week. Other than that I train grip strength with hand grippers 3 times a week. Also do some visual training watching videos of the things I'm working on, I'm a big visual learner and I believe in visual training (watching stuff and studying it). I don't know how many push ups,pull ups etc thar I can do, but I recently broke one of my records and did a 2 minute hi plank.

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Funny you should start this thread as for the past year I have started a regular routine of exercise pretty much daily. At the moment my minimum per day is:

250 push ups (varying hand position, wide, narrow, diamond etc)
250 Tri-cep dips
200 Crunches
150 Squats.

My maximum, if I have extra time, is normally double those values and so far my max is a set of 150 at a time for the push ups and dips and 50 for the crunches whilst I can do the squats in one set. I also try and jog for approximately 20 mins 3 times a week and have recently started back to body combat, which I hope to be doing twice a week on top of my martial arts training.

If you're interested the main reason I did this was because when I started off just doing 50 of each I saw a significant drop in my blood glucose level (I am diabetic) and therefore started really pushing myself which has resulted in me coming off of insulin and I can now only rely on the medication (tablets) and a (tightly) controlled diet to keep the levels low and steady.

Therefore, I feel like it is highly beneficial to me from a medical perspective and also my upper body especially has firmed up a lot in the past year which is always good and now I am slightly scared that if I stop I will lose what I have gained and may have to go back onto insulin. So trapped in a way lol. But I do love doing it in a strange way. Oh, and unfortunately I am most definitely an endomorph so I have to work hard to keep the fat off (thus a low calorie diet), and have to consistently try and do a good deal of cardio (hence the body combat again). Although I carry a good deal of muscle, I fear my stomach will always be that little bit padded :(
I'm pre diabetic and my mom was type 2, my grandma type 1 and she took insulin. Any advice on some extra exercises I can do to clean my blood? They said I had too much fat in my blood and I need to lower it, they recommended diet(which is hard with my income and having to feed a whole family on limited budget) and exercise(that I can absolutely do!) I do train martial arts classes an hour twice a week and do some forms and isometrics at home but I'm looking for a way to get my blood clean again.

Cxntrxlla

White Belt
Reaction score
What I do is if I go to the gym I do my workout split and if not, Calisthenics

Fungus

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Beeing new to this (kyokushin blue belt)

Unless i have a injuries, I do weekly:

1 kyokushin dedicated fighting class(my priority, most fun) + 1 (or 2) normal classes.

Ontop of the official training, at home I do daily:

selected stretching and flexibility exercises a couple of times a day. This is important for me as I lack flexibility! Say 2x10 mins

Those days when I have no karate class I do at home ideally
3 sets of 40-50 pushups (takes no more than 3 minutes)
+ punch and kick on a heavy bag occasioanlly (5-30 mins)

I don't run due to nerv/lower back problems, so my besy cardio training is limited going bananas on the heavy bag

So doing something regularly, helps me alot and does not have to take a whole lot of time.
Doing NOTHING for a 1-2 weeks, and your muscles doze off fast.

Latest Discussions