Whats your carry knife and how do you carry it?

Elbowgrease

Green Belt
Reaction score
Used to carry an ancient Camillus fixed blade on my belt, roughly 3 inch blade, drop point.
Usually have a swiss army knife attached to my belt with a three foot parachute cord leash.
Prefer fixed to folder, plain to serrated, single to double, short to long, cross guard of some kind and a non contoured handle.

MagnusRBHunter

White Belt
Reaction score
Blackhawk BHB30 assisted opening knife with partial serrated blade. Pocket clip allows knife to ride very low in the pocket so hidden very nicely. Usually in front pocket tip up. Shape of knife also allows to be used as impact weapon when not wanting to deploy blade for less than lethal force. Spear Point blade perfect for CQC.

Blade Length: 3-1/4"
Steel Type: 440C Stainless Steel
Length Open: 8-1/8"
Length Closed: 4-3/4"

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
Since I made 20 pounds of sausage this past weekend that needs to be eaten I have a Victorinox alox knife on me for slicing :).
I carry it in a homemade pocketsheath in my right back pocket along with a small flashlight.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
2eed53d.jpg

I know, it's small......but if I ever get attacked by a band of mad elves....

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you reach in your pocket for something small and pink and pull out a knife?

LibbyW

Orange Belt
Reaction score
2eed53d.jpg

I know, it's small......but if I ever get attacked by a band of mad elves....

I have the same, except mine red. Such a handy little thing, I can't tell you how much usage I've had from the tweezers and scissors :)
I use the blade for whittling sometimes when I'm feeling artsy, its a remarkably sturdy little thing.
So, that's my um...ad over lol

Oh and concerning the op question...I carry an Emerson Karambit on a clip inside my waistband.
L

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OH BUkka I just love that pink knife.. Hey if it works who care about the color. Will it cut those crackers?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
OH BUkka I just love that pink knife.. Hey if it works who care about the color. Will it cut those crackers?

I've never seen a knife that would cut crackers... they just break and crumble.

Maybe a light saber...

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a few, my favorite for the last year has been a Spyderco Dragonfly with G10 scales. 2.25" blade and I didn't really expect to like it so much, but the ergonomics of it are amazing and the steel and shape of the blade make it useful beyond it's size.

You never know how much you're going to need a pocketknife (or a flashlight) until you start walking around with a decent one.

AlphaBJJ

White Belt
Reaction score
Mainly a Spyderco serrated blade folder, strong side pocket. I keep a fixed blade CRKT on my kit for work.

Sapphire

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I hate to put it this way, but my neighborhood is having an increase in violent crime, so I carry knives dependent upon where I'm going in a day.

Firstly I always have my kubaton. It's made of very smooth wood, about 8 inches long, and has a brass end cap on one end and a screw on the other where a key ring used to be until I broke it off. Not only is it for self defense (which I would only wield on either multiple attackers or someone who brandished a weapon first) but also can be used for shattering a car window if I get trapped or shattering a car window if a child is trapped on a hot day, dying of heat exhaustion.

Now, my city has a big shopping mall. Not Mall of America big, but a big mall nonetheless. There are fights, muggings, and hold ups there ALL THE TIME. And they have security spending more time kicking out teenagers after 4 PM as per mall rules than they do watching out for real criminals committing actual crimes. So if I'm going there (which I try to avoid as much as possible) I have my cheap Profero straight edge folder or my also cheap Browning straight edge folder on me when I go there because their blades are longer and have a very sure grip. I'll carry these knives if I'm going anywhere I expect to see trouble brewing.

Otherwise I carry a very small Kershaw onion folder. I think the blade might be 2.5 inches long but I forget the model. It's a straight edge and its blade has a couple of nicks in it so I don't mind using it for whatever need arises. I also have a CRKT with quarter serration and a tanto tip. Blade is 3.5 inches long and the knife is extremely lightweight so I usually switch to that one depending on my mood.

Chrisoro

Blue Belt
Reaction score
15f4o3r.jpg

Victorinox Huntsman. Usually in my messenger bag or back back, because of the legalities of carrying knives in Norway(i.e., it is not allowed to carry knives "on your body", or in an easily available manner).

Chrisoro

Blue Belt
Reaction score
1ktgi.jpg

Oh, and sometimes I carry my Leatherman Skeletool instead, such as when fishing, or going on roadtrips and stuff. Also, the Skeletool has a somewhat stronger construction and a locking blade, while the Huntsman do not, so if I would want to use any of them for actual combat(something I don't see very plausible unless I was stuck in an elevator or something, with no means of improvised weaponry available), I would prefer to use the Skeletool.

Orange Lightning

Purple Belt
Reaction score
SOG Visionary II. VG10 bladesteel. It's a 3.75 inch blade. 8 1/4 inches total. Deploys like liquid gold. I carry it in the corner of my front pocket. All you can see when it's in my pocket is the clip. The recurve really helps me carve wood. It's a bit hard to sharpen though.The grind is a a bit harder angled than the rest of the knife. It was hard to find a drop point with this fine a point.
I carry it because it incredibly useful. Opens things. Cuts things.Gives me another 8 inches when I'm reaching for something far away. :p As far as self defense goes, sure, I have it. But I don't plan on relying on it for that reason. If it reaches that point, THEN I have it. Otherwise, it's only a tool. Obviously though, I feel armed and safer carrying it. Whatever happens, I have a 3.75 blade.

iu

What directions does everyone prefer their pocket clip? Tip up or tip down? My knife is tip up. Although this particular knife serves my needs better tip up, I prefer tip down. Seems like most knives these days are tip up. Supposedly, the reason for this is because tip down would require finer motions in an intense situation that could cause a slip up, whereas tip up lets you hold on to the knife better before it's deployed.
I'm of the opposite viewpoint. I think it takes way more finesse to open a tip up knife on demand than a tip down. Even at ease, it feels easier tip down.

Sapphire

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What directions does everyone prefer their pocket clip? Tip up or tip down? My knife is tip up. Although this particular knife serves my needs better tip up, I prefer tip down. Seems like most knives these days are tip up. Supposedly, the reason for this is because tip down would require finer motions in an intense situation that could cause a slip up, whereas tip up lets you hold on to the knife better before it's deployed.
I'm of the opposite viewpoint. I think it takes way more finesse to open a tip up knife on demand than a tip down. Even at ease, it feels easier tip down.

I have one tip-up knife that I find a little easier to draw, but I don't necessarily think "I need this knife out super super fast," I think "oh, my friend is about to try and open a plastic box with her teeth, let me offer my pocket knife," so I really don't have a preference haha.

Orange Lightning

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have one tip-up knife that I find a little easier to draw, but I don't necessarily think "I need this knife out super super fast," I think "oh, my friend is about to try and open a plastic box with her teeth, let me offer my pocket knife," so I really don't have a preference haha.

And when you pull it out to give to your friend, ever flub it? Mess up somehow pulling it out of your pocket or opening it?

I used to have this cheap assisted opening knife that had a safety switch. A little slidey bit that locked the knife against opening. And it would always drive me crazy because pulling it out, making sure the safety was off, and flicking the thumbstud in a fluid sequence just wasn't intuitive. So I would flub on already slow draw occasionally and that would just cheese me off to know end. Spent so many hours trying to practice it, but I never got used to it.
And I must say, the derpitude of flubbing a draw is terrible. Even alone, you feel stupid. xD

Sapphire

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Not really. Then again, I'm not trying to impress anyone so I just remove it from my pocket, get a sure grip on it, then open the blade, unless I don't trust the person I'm offering it to, in which case I hand it to them unopened. And I also have a knife with a safety switch. It used to be very difficult to set, but now it's constantly setting in my pocket. But I also have a knife that opens in my pocket and I've nearly lacerated my fingers reaching for something else in my pocket!

Jacky Zuki

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am another one with the Victorinox Classic SD in pink, except that mine has the transparent jelly scales instead of the opaque hard ones. It isn't macho but it is incredibly useful. It lives attached to a mini wind-up LED torch in my karate bag for last minute nail trimming and filing. If I get to the dojo, peel my socks off and think "that big toenail will take someone's eye out if I am not careful" then Little Pinky goes to work hacking at my yellow gnarled talons to make them safe, if not beautiful.

mber

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Once, I was gifted a small, cheap little CRKT folding knife. It should have sucked, but it was the best knife I've ever carried -- it fit. It fit in my pocket, it fit in my hand, it fit my life. I could draw it, open it, close it, pocket it in seconds. I have never felt more at home with a weapon in my life.

One day, I mistakenly brought it with me to a security checkpoint. The knife was taken from me and I never saw it again. It has been nearly four years since we were separated, and hardly a day goes by I don't wish for that fragile little knife back.

I've explored many other knives in a desperate attempt to reclaim that feeling, but I have yet to find that model or any model that even comes close. Today I carry a slimline CRKT folding lockback with some nice features, but it's not the same. It won't ever be the same. :(

Latest Discussions