Whats more difficult: Bo VS Tonfa

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok I just got back from a tournament and i lot to the says guy I lost to last time in the weapions event. He used a bo and I used a Tonfa...now the question is...Is Tonfa more difficult than the Bo.....Please MAists who have first hand experince respind to this thread.

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi, In my opinion, yes and no. Now isn't that one riding the fine line?:)

I think you are able to stay at a distance and take advantage of that with the bo, but a good practioner of the tonfa is very tough, takes lots of skill and therefore probably more time to perfect.

The topic is a good one, good post.

Just briefly, I am currently making up a bunch of very special Tonfa's for the people who are the leaders of the system I hang around... Great art.

Regards, Gary

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Harder for what?

Are you sparring? kata?

Harder to learn? Harder to win kata competitions with?

V

Vadim

Hi Sin. I've used both the tonfa and the bo. For me grasping the bo was a little bit more difficult then the tonfa merely becasue of the length of the bo. I find controlling the tonfa easier and because I practice with the tonfa alot more I find it to be the choice for me. In my job we are issued a pr-24 / tonfa and train with it for use in crowd control and such. Although the pr-24 has taken a bad rap in the past because of the Rodney King Incident in LA. Have a great day.

-Vadim

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you are talking about difficulty to learn and use, I'd have to say that the Tonfa is more difficult.
Just my personal experience.

Your Brother
John

OP
Sin

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am talking about general use of he tonfa. In my Kata I let go and catch my tonfa and its sometimes difficult to do.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
out of curiosity...i have worked a few weapons..but not bo or tonfa....

why would you let go of your weapon?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think he is doing fancy stuff ;)

Only time you would do that is to switch grips on a tonfa, go from holding the handle in the "standard" way, to holding it like a hammer.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
In that case...

What is harder to use, a hammer or a screw driver?
For hitting the nail, I think the hammer?...how much points do I get if right? but getting screw? the hammer? any time if you have two weapons ,one in each hand like the tonfa,short and can strike and block the same time in two different places vs the one long bo? but than again who ever is the better fighter will win? not the weapons make the automatic winner? Be as good as you can get in what you like to use,make yourself invincible....? Aloha

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
In that case...

What is harder to use, a hammer or a screw driver?
For hitting the nail, I think the hammer?...how much points do I get if right? but getting screw? the hammer? any time if you have two weapons ,one in each hand like the tonfa,short and can strike and block the same time in two different places vs the one long bo? but than again who ever is the better fighter will win? not the weapons make the automatic winner? Be as good as you can get in what you like to use,make yourself invincible....? Aloha

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Ok I just got back from a tournament and i lot to the says guy I lost to last time in the weapions event. He used a bo and I used a Tonfa...now the question is...Is Tonfa more difficult than the Bo.....Please MAists who have first hand experince respind to this thread.

Maybe, but if you do a complicated tonfa form poorly you will (and should) lose against a simple bo form done well.

If you are competing in some of the contemporary (X-treme, whatever) weapon divisions I have seen moves with the bo that are more complicated and difficult than just about anything that you can do with a tonfa.

Lamont

An Eternal Student

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Tonfa is harder to learn and use, but the Bo is more impressive LOOKING in action.
Both good weapons though.

OP
Sin

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Its good to learn how to let go of your weapion cause, your opponent may have a way to do a take down or some other manuver, if they put strain on your wrist and the only way to get out of it is to let go....hen do it.......hence the reason why I learn

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sin,

I briefly said something at the start of this. The Bo is one of the easier and the more complicated to use starting from first learning it to finally becoming the expert.

It is considered (in the hands of an expert) the best of the weapons. That said in the intermediate stages it is not as hard to learn as the Tonfa, (my thought).

If you are doing the Kata or form correct, then adding a few of your own moves (then it is incorrect) you will not be getting the highest points possible. But if you are doing the form correct and not getting fancy you will be scored higher.

This is my opinion, based on what you have been saying about what 'you' are doing.

This is one of the reasons I enjoy the FMA's, there are so many different applications, you have the ability to combine many and still enjoy the art.

Regards, Gary

OP
Sin

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeha it really got me down when I lost again to the same guy with a more flashy kata than me. I mean mine is really difficult, but its not as pretty as the bo's kata that the competitor used.

The Kata that he did with his bo looked more like Marching band baton twirling than demonstrating a series of strikes and Tech. that can be used with the Tonfa.

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
In reading some of the posts the one that sticks out to me is the one in reference to letting go of the weapon. In my opinion you should never let go unless you are done with it. Think of the saying " there are no wasted moves in kata. " What would the point be to letting go of the weapon? Just a thought. My advice is that no weapon is easy to learn or master. It takes time and training. The one point I stress to people is that the weapon is an extension of your body.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
IMHO... it's not about flash or difficulty or anything like that... it's about ability. If you look like, use it like & understand what you're doing with it as if you're fighting with it, then you're ahead of the game & tournie competition is not for you.

If you want to win a tournie comp... forget everything useful about the weapon, put jump spinning flip kicks & have the weapon flying in all directions leaving your hands, scream for 20 seconds straight per move & pose horribly while maintaining a look of movie anger... you'll probably win.

If you luck up & participate in a traditional JMA, OMA or CMA type tournie, you'll see the first description used. If you enter an open or XMA (*shudder*), you'll see the 2nd type.

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sin said:
Yeha it really got me down when I lost again to the same guy with a more flashy kata than me. I mean mine is really difficult, but its not as pretty as the bo's kata that the competitor used.

The Kata that he did with his bo looked more like Marching band baton twirling than demonstrating a series of strikes and Tech. that can be used with the Tonfa.
Hi Sin,

As the katas with the Bo get harder, there is quite a lot of twirling, similar to what you are talking about. It is very enjoyable to watch a true expert.

The exactness of it, is what counts. I am not that good with the correct Katas with the Bo, I like the Jo and progressivly smaller Rattan sticks. The cane is very good, and a useful tool for me also.

Regards, Gary%-}

O

Oak Bo

clfsean said:
If you want to win a tournie comp... forget everything useful about the weapon, put jump spinning flip kicks & have the weapon flying in all directions leaving your hands, scream for 20 seconds straight per move & pose horribly while maintaining a look of movie anger... you'll probably win.
That's what I hate about the open tourney's these day's.
It's pure silliness.
:asian:

Latest Discussions