What's everyones thoughts on........

Full Circle

White Belt
Reaction score
collapsible batons. I think the baton would have less problems than other weapons in a court of law, but how effective are they? I have someone willing to teach me, but said it has been 15 years since he has used one. He said I might want to get a good video to go along with what he teaches me. That way, I can see any new tactics that have come out. What would be a good up to date video?

Thanks Guys!

diamondbar1971

Green Belt
Reaction score
I still carry a Kubatan-Kubotan-kuboton (its spelled several different way) to this very day. I just recently discovered that it can't be taken on board commercial planes. I was
invited to be a referee and they absolutely refused to let me take it even with all of my ID and credentials in order etc. They did let the Captain put my bag with the Kubaton in it in the cabin with the crew. I think this Homeland Security has gone overboard on a lot of things and this might be a good forum to start..But be careful the baton can and does break.Unless the attacker is armed with a gun, just pull out a can of good old whup *** and put it to um.

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
Always be careful what you buy, the cheap stuff will break especially if when it's for real.
A friend of mine hacked a tree branch with his once and it completely broke apart.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, A friend in California had one..use it on a big guy....NO effects. He sold it to someone else (car fight).

Look into you state laws regarding carrying weapons? Better to carry a bible with "IRON COVER". ...and pointed edges...UM?

Aloha ( C battery Mag lite-6C's long)......Flashlites are legal to carry all over the world.)

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
collapsible batons. I think the baton would have less problems than other weapons in a court of law, but how effective are they? I have someone willing to teach me, but said it has been 15 years since he has used one. He said I might want to get a good video to go along with what he teaches me. That way, I can see any new tactics that have come out. What would be a good up to date video?

Thanks Guys!

Depends on the law of your state. In my state, Collapsible batons are considered an illegal weapon for civilians. At that point, your better off using a knife that you can legally carry rather then something illegal.

So it depends on the legalities. They are nice if they are legal, in that they don't have to be used as a tool of lethal force depending on how it is used.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thanks Guys!

Cruentus took the words out of my mouth. :) I'd definately check with your local LE agency before buying one. IMO, I do think that they are an effective tool though. :)

Mike

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
Batons are definately a handy tool to have, but as stated, check your State for being legal or not, I would venture to say most states they are illegal for civilians, but then again, so is murder, rape, assaults and such.

G

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cruentus took the words out of my mouth. :) I'd definately check with your local LE agency before buying one. IMO, I do think that they are an effective tool though. :)

Mike

Ditto...I carry and teach the expandable batons...

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Depends on the law of your state. In my state, Collapsible batons are considered an illegal weapon for civilians. At that point, your better off using a knife that you can legally carry rather then something illegal.

So it depends on the legalities. They are nice if they are legal, in that they don't have to be used as a tool of lethal force depending on how it is used.

You can of course have a collapsible baton on your property in your state Cruentus. So for home defense it would be an option. (though it really limits what you can do) However, Cruentus points out how important it is to know the law in your area and what you can and cannot do. This is incredibly important!
icon6.gif

OP
F

Full Circle

White Belt
Reaction score
Gotcha, check with law enforcement first! Never gave it any thought that these would be illegal, as for the most part, are a non lethal tool.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've only ever gotten cheap ones and shockingly enough they've been disappointing. I should try a good one sometime.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've only ever gotten cheap ones and shockingly enough they've been disappointing. I should try a good one sometime.

Look into a Monadnock AutoLock..One of the best in my opinion and I have trained with EVERY version out there....

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You can of course have a collapsible baton on your property in your state Cruentus. So for home defense it would be an option. (though it really limits what you can do) However, Cruentus points out how important it is to know the law in your area and what you can and cannot do. This is incredibly important!
icon6.gif

Seems pretty useless to me though in my home, where I have so many other choices. :)

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
In this State can carry one openly but not concealed. Given that I'd rather have a good sap.

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
I still carry a Kubatan-Kubotan-kuboton (its spelled several different way) to this very day. I just recently discovered that it can't be taken on board commercial planes.

Isn't it crazy?? because you can take a pen of similar structure that is just as deadly....(and it writes how cool!!)
Use it as a weapon...when done and the attacker is writhing on the ground you throw the "weapon" into the gutter nad it becomes just another "lost pen"....HMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
I still carry a Kubatan-Kubotan-kuboton (its spelled several different way) to this very day. I just recently discovered that it can't be taken on board commercial planes. quote]

Isn't it crazy?? because you can take a pen of similar structure that is just as deadly....(and it writes how cool!!)
Use it as a weapon...when done and the attacker is writhing on the ground you throw the "weapon" into the gutter nad it becomes just another "lost pen"....HMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!

true.. I use a walking staff if I am worried about any kind of problems.. hard to out law a walking stick or cane or staff..

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In this State can carry one openly but not concealed. Given that I'd rather have a good sap.

Yeah but Bob Sap would be hard as hell to conceal and you'd most likely break your back trying to lug him around - and some would say he wouldn't be much help in a SD situation unless he sat on the crook...

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I use a walking staff if I am worried about any kind of problems.. hard to out law a walking stick or cane or staff..

Yep thanks to the ADA...The walking staff may raise a few eyebrows, but they never said squat about the Combat Cane I carry once its been
x-rayed and shown that it is not a sword or anything else...

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I hear ya..The department outlawed us carrying saps on duty, I miss mine..

Latest Discussions