What weapons are these?

L

Laevolus

I need to ask the collective inteelect of everyone on here.....what weapon are these?

Dual Sticks

For those who don't know it, the screengrab is from the recent Jet Li film, Kiss Of the Dragon and it's from the scene where Jet has to fight the room full of police officers training in MA.

What I want to know, is what the dual stick weapons he's using are called and what style uses them most. Its it Chinese? Japanese? Or a different country altogether?

Thanks in advance.

Laev.

:)

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Without having seen the techniques inmotion, I can hazzard a guess that it may be Fillipino in origin, posibly Escrima or Arnis. Our FMA members may be able to better pin down the style.

:asian:

OP
L

Laevolus

Didn't realise it was that dark. I must have the brightness quite high on my monitor :D

Anyway, I've taken some larger screengrabs and uploaded them for people to you have a look at, although it was difficult to due to fast editiing and the speed of the actors in the film.

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
Pic 4
Pic 5
Pic 6

Hope those are a bit better :D

Laev

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Would you get mad at me if I called them sticks? :)

If I remember the movie correctly that is supposed to be inside a french police station, so I'll call them "nightsticks" though they really look too long. Of course I've never seen a police station with a room full of blackbelts either.

Just off of initial appearances I would guess escrima/arnis/kali (Fillipino martial arts) but given Jet Li's background I wouldn't discount the adaption of double chinese broadsword work to stickwork either.

I'd have to rewatch it to make a better determination, and well thats just not going to happen.

Lamont

OP
R

RyuShiKan

We use sticks like those in our kobudo but call them "tanbo". Some might say they are the same as FMA but we actually use them a bit differently.

Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz

Without having seen the techniques inmotion, I can hazzard a guess that it may be Fillipino in origin, posibly Escrima or Arnis. Our FMA members may be able to better pin down the style.

I have heard that Escrima and Arnis are the same thing just different Filipono dialects...........is that true?

I have also heard they don't use the word Kali in the Filipines........is that true?

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by RyuShiKan

I have heard that Escrima and Arnis are the same thing just different Filipono dialects...........is that true?

I have also heard they don't use the word Kali in the Filipines........is that true?

I'm curious about this one myself.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Pretty much--different terms are used in different regions. Pananandata is another term that is used.

Yes, this is so. Kali is not a term they use.

OP
R

RyuShiKan

So I am wondering why do some people use kali to describe Arnis/Escrima?

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Because Americans will buy anything if it is packaged correctly?

From the reading I have done, it seems that it is common for folks to go to the P.I. asking to be taught something - and there are more than enough folks willing to teach whatever it is that is being asked for... whether it exists or not!

I also understand that dumog is another American Filipino term that is used extensively in the US, but not at all in the P.I.

Go figure.

"Would you teach me pananandata kali dumog?"

"Sure! I don't know what the hell you are talking about, but sure!"

:D

OP
L

Laevolus

It seems that I have an answer now so I'll say thanks to everyone and look for some good info on the styles mentioned.

Cheers again for that.

Laev.

OP
R

RyuShiKan

here is the sticks photo brightened up a bit.

Attachments

• $yamei.jpg
    $yamei.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 266

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Yiliquan1

Because Americans will buy anything if it is packaged correctly?

Indeed, this is how I have heard the story about kali.

I also understand that dumog is another American Filipino term that is used extensively in the US, but not at all in the P.I.

I have heard that it does not mean wrestling for self-defense there but something more akin to 'rassling livestock, that is, something like what a cowboy would do. The term is commonly used here though.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

here is the sticks photo brightened up a bit.

Very helpful, thanks. They look like non-descript sticks to me. Hard to say how they were used.

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by arnisador

Very helpful, thanks. They look like non-descript sticks to me. Hard to say how they were used.

Off hand guess...............the ancient art of "Movie Style".

OP
S

sweeper

they are just sticks.. you could call them truncheons (sp?) but you pritty much swing em at people.. I wasn't to impressed with that movie, in that scene the movement he used could have been anything, I think RyuShiKan is probably correct..

OP
K

knifeman.dk

As for Dumog I heard the story of the local Dumogueros - a sort of local island sherif.
This guy would be called in to solve trouble at local festivals. He would be a short broad type training with the waterbuffalos wrestling them to the ground.
I teach Dumog at the Danish Arnis Federation as part of the Arnis curriculum. We practise offbalance, breaking rythm, and 6 different entries with takedowns - not like judo.
sincerely knifeman.dk

OP
L

Laevolus

Off hand guess...............the ancient art of "Movie Style".

Heh, guess I should have spotted that :D

Is asking about things from movies a no-no then?

I know it's not even remotely realistic stuff in the movies, but I thought there may have been some basis in reality for this particular style. I've seen similar movements in other films, although I must admit most of those have been US based films such as early Seagal movies.

Cheers,
Laev.

OP
S

sweeper

there's nothing wrong with asking about stuff in movies it's just alot f the stuff in movies is modified to better suit the situation (situation is an actor trying to look good on film) so it's hard to tell exactly where it came from, also because movie fights are practiced kinda like a dance and they try to encorperate certain moves for flash (remember that double jointlock disarm jet li did to those two guys (think it was Sticks4.jpg)) it kinda stops looking like what ever art it's supposed to be.

Latest Discussions