• GAMECUBE

• NONE

Results are only viewable after voting.

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
I have been considering getting one of these systems. The last game system I bought was a PS1. Could someone explain the differences in the systems so that someone like myslef who just doesn't know which is which can decide.
Thanks

Baoquan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Xbox, technically, is a far superior system. Faster, Stronger, Better - its the 6 milion dollar console. It renders several times more polygons-per-second as the PS2, it has an onboard hard-drive, and is broadband capable.

[Bao ducks while legions of PS2 fans spark up the flame throwers.]

However, some say the the 'box suffers from the same Achilles heel as the 6 Million Dollar Man TV series - a lack of material; which, while once true (PS2 launched with a staggering number of games, but many of them were just ports of games that were originally slated for PS1), is not so true anymore - there are currently approx 150 games available for the XBox here in the Antipodes, and more in the States.

The finest quality of the 'box is undoubtedly the broadband capablity - Xbox Live - its a disgusting amount of fun. I've been playing games on-line longer than i care to admit, and i've never had soo much fun as on Live - mostly because its a wicked fast OL game system i can play on the couch, rather than crouched over the keyboard. Bringing online gaming - traditionally the purview of "hard-core" gamers - to the casual gamer has been the Holy Grail of games marketers since the someone realised you could make money on this internet contraption. The Xbox hasnt done it truly, but its a hell of a lot closer than anyone else has got so far.

The PS2 can play PS1 games, so if u have a lot of those, you might want to look at a PS2.....but of all the guys who have bought a PS2 for this very reason, i dont think any of them still play the PS1 games.

I have a 'box, my brother has a PS2...i play both regularly, and IMHO, there is no competition.

the Xbox 0\/\/|\|5.
:D

BTW - you may note no mention was made of the GameCube. IMHO, its best we keep it that way. :p

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Seig
I have been considering getting one of these systems. The last game system I bought was a PS1. Could someone explain the differences in the systems so that someone like myslef who just doesn't know which is which can decide.
Thanks

PS2: Hands down leader in terms of sales and game library. It's arguably the least powerful of the three systems out right now, (but the difference is marginal).

GC: Nintendo's floundering with this system. Still has F-Zero and some other great titles.

Xbox: Currently ranking in at a distant, distant second place. Lots of PC derived games on it as well as games that typically appeal more to PC gamers than console users. (Way too many FPS games for example.) Not much to offer in terms of fighting games or RPG's. Just has the iffy DOA3 and Soul Calibur to reccomend it on the fighting side.

Online play numbers are dismal on all three platforms. Great for people who like online play, not a selling point to the majority of buyers for any of the three systems however.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Marginal
PS2: Hands down leader in terms of sales and game library. It's arguably the least powerful of the three systems out right now, (but the difference is marginal).

Online play numbers are dismal on all three platforms. Great for people who like online play, not a selling point to the majority of buyers for any of the three systems however.

PS2 is higher in sales and has more games because it has been around for almost 2 years longer that XBox or Gamecube. Gamecube made the mistake of marketing heavily to the younger crowd. It has been floundering so much that I almost took advantage of all the deals they are offering and bought one out of pity. If the price keeps dropping I still might. The online play sucks so bad because it costs extra per month to play online. People would play more if they allowed a tie-in to standard home internet servers, but I don't want to pay extra for the equipment to get online, pay for the game and then pay an ongoing monthly fee to get hooked up. Just not worth it, when I can hit my PC and play online all I want.

A

albert

It all depends on what kind of games you like..and if you have a good PC don't bother with an Xbox..

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by OULobo
PS2 is higher in sales and has more games because it has been around for almost 2 years longer that XBox or Gamecube.

It's a convenient excuse, but really the PS2 is in first place because Sony lined up the best games library. They secured exclusives over games like GTA 3 when it mattered and so on.

Gamecube made the mistake of marketing heavily to the younger crowd.

Nintendo alienated third party developers with their typical arrogance. This caused them to have nothing but kiddie games.

The online play sucks so bad because it costs extra per month to play online. People would play more if they allowed a tie-in to standard home internet servers, but I don't want to pay extra for the equipment to get online, pay for the game and then pay an ongoing monthly fee to get hooked up. Just not worth it, when I can hit my PC and play online all I want.

True. (Also why Live's worthless.)

Baoquan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
GTA3 and Vice City are coming to Xbox - with graphical improvements :p Next month, i beleive...but Sony was very clever in securing them for as long as they did. Its not really "a conveniant excuse" - Sony had a exisiting stable of developers from teh PS1, and simply migrated the PS2 technology to them - Microsoft had to develop those relationships from scratch on unproven technology.

The PS2's numbers also look a lot better due to the fact that they dominate the biggest console market with the deepest penetration....about 42% of the Japanese market, where Xbox has only 2%. I dont think japanese otaku will every really take up a non-japanese console en masse....

PS2 has a lot of good games, and is a good console...in fact, if you have a couple hundred of them, its a pretty simple exercise to build your own supercomputer. But on simple technical merits, Xbox is superior - Halflife 2 is an Xbox exclusive because its the only console powerful enough to run the game they way they want it.

Yeah, the costs associated with Live can be prohibitive - my glowing report *may* have been colored by the fact that i dont pay for it (no, its not free, or stolen....someone else pays for it).

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Baoquan
GTA3 and Vice City are coming to Xbox - with graphical improvements :p Next month, i beleive...but Sony was very clever in securing them for as long as they did. Its not really "a conveniant excuse" - Sony had a exisiting stable of developers from teh PS1, and simply migrated the PS2 technology to them - Microsoft had to develop those relationships from scratch on unproven technology.

The tech was very proven. Nobody really questioned that. They questioned MS' ability to bring out a system that you focus on the console market. It's larger than the PC market, and it tends to have differing interests in genre picks.

As for GTA 3 and VC coming to Xbox, getting a game first counts for a lot. Especially with a year's lead time. Sony's already done the damage with their exclusivity window there. AS for their built in advantage, sony only carried that stable of developers from one generation to the next because they provided adequate incentives for the developers to follow. Nintendo and Sega certainly didn't succeed as well as Sony did in that respect, so I can't see a good reason to take 1:1 migration from one platform to another as a given.

The PS2's numbers also look a lot better due to the fact that they dominate the biggest console market with the deepest penetration....about 42% of the Japanese market, where Xbox has only 2%. I dont think japanese otaku will every really take up a non-japanese console en masse....

Fanatics don't really amount to much in any console race. (Japanese xenophobia's another convenient excuse.) PC gaming hasn't been big in Japan for years. Online gaming has never really been relevant there either. There goes the game library MS has, and their one iffy selling point. If MS wants to convert Japanese gamers, they need to attract developers and design games that appeal to broader tastes than games like Halo happen to do. Attracting Tecmo was a nice start, but that's about all they've accomplished in that respect.

But on simple technical merits, Xbox is superior - Halflife 2 is an Xbox exclusive because its the only console powerful enough to run the game they way they want it.

Most of claims like that stem from propaganda rather than truth or reality. (Much like anything Tombu Itagaki says.) Technical merits have historically, been horrible at moving hardware.

Yeah, the costs associated with Live can be prohibitive - my glowing report *may* have been colored by the fact that i dont pay for it (no, its not free, or stolen....someone else pays for it).

Live's nice for what it is. Statistically speaking however, it's not a factor in selling hardware. Sony's online support actually draws in greater numbers despite the lack of a coherant online strategy. (Even then, it's not a system selling feature. More of a nice bonus for those that care aobut such things.)

Baoquan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Technical merits have historically, been horrible at moving hardware.

All too true..beta max was a better video technology, but got steamrollered by VHS. Beta Max is still used widely in video news media (those that havent gone digital).

The tech was very proven.

Not when the development cycles of the 1st gen xbox games started. I was part of the first gen program - everyone was developing on PCs built to act a lot like an Xbox would, if it finished development the way they planned. Thats a big ask for multi-million dollar developments.

Live's nice for what it is. Statistically speaking however, it's not a factor in selling hardware. Sony's online support actually draws in greater numbers despite the lack of a coherant online strategy. (Even then, it's not a system selling feature. More of a nice bonus for those that care aobut such things.)

Again, very true. if you look at Australia's registered gamer tag DB (xbox Live logins, essentially), there are about 50. Its uptake is ludicrously low...but is a *lot* of fun.

Most of claims like that stem from propaganda rather than truth or reality. (Much like anything Tombu Itagaki says.) Technical merits have historically, been horrible at moving hardware.

Absotively...but this one happens to be true - particle specularity and render distances are deeper and longer, respectively, on XBox, for the same polygon counts. The PS2 does what it does a little more elegantly, but Xbox took the sledgehammer approach to precessing and hardware design, and came up with a win.

Theres no doubt PS2 is a fun machine, and it has the games catalogue to make everyone happy...but at the end of the day, i'd rather play xbox, no doubt. Better graphics res and dolby 5.1 just make it that much more immersive IF a game is good enough to make use of it...a lot arent.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Baoquan
GTA3 and Vice City are coming to Xbox - with graphical improvements :p Next month, i beleive...

It must take a really long time for things to get there. Vice City came out two monthes or more ago here and the both for the price of one combo deal came out last month.

2fisted

I voted ps2 mainly because it's the one I have. :D

But seriously I bought it due to the game library offered. And yeah rpgs and fighters are my favorites. Plus I'm not someone who needs lotsa graphics. I still play ps1 games on my ps2!

J

JDenz

I have X-box and PS-2 I definitly like PS-2 better. Better controler, better games. Xbox has some killer RPG's to KNights of the old Rebublic and Shemue 2

Latest Discussions