What style do practice and why did you choose it????

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
1-7 Star Praying Mantis

2-Chosen for its versatility and multiple fighting ranges, wierd stances, variety of weapons...and I'm sure more reasons to be discovered throughout my training.

3-Average body type, 5'9'', 155lbs.

4-Too soon to tell which gate I might like best.

A---)

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Blooming Lotus said:
So being kenpo sounds geared toward taller ppl , from what you said in that last post, where is it from anyway?? Why tall people.
Not so much really geared towards taller people per se. Most generally people are taller than me and can make their stuff work in the "ideal" way the technique was taught. They may perform a specific technique in sequence with steps 1 - 7 working good. I may have problem with step 4 and need to change something up. When it comes down to it when teaching steps 1 - 7 is cool that way everyone learns the book version. Then after having it for a while I may share my version of 1-4 with my change of 4-7. Kenpo isn't limited to body style, shape, or size. As long as I can back up with good reason why I decided to change the last 3 steps and understand it then there's no problems. :)
Kenpo came down line from the chinese. I know the history but I'm quite afraid to post it on here with all of those Kenpo seniors in the Kenpo section and I get something wrong :uhyeah: . I kinda like my butt where it is and not kicked all over the place from them. :)

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
clfsean said:
Stop by & give us try next semester... :)

I'd love to, but that'd entail me doing MA 6 days of the week, which my body could probably handle, but my studies might not. I'm really interested in CLF (and southern CMA in general), though, and I'll keep it in mind.

Blooming Lotus said:
EK : sounds like you have the perfect body type for your style and what I know of it. And feeling you on number 4....... is it just me or do alot of tcmas ( particularly shaolin and it's multitudes with all their elements etc) neglect that outside aspect??? Actually it's funny because I think I have some shuai chiao pics from Henan that I'm sure use outside gate apps on feet. But how often do you get that outside gate mind set from shaolin?? ........Really...... ????

Blooming Lotus

I haven't seen all too many outside gate applications in shaolin kung fu (yet), but I was referring to those that I got from the internal MA course (taiqi, pakua, xingyi) that shaolin-do offers. I don't know about xingyi, but pakua (and taiqi, to a lesser extent) is full of outside-gate stuff.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Eldritch Knight said:
I'd love to, but that'd entail me doing MA 6 days of the week, which my body could probably handle, but my studies might not. I'm really interested in CLF (and southern CMA in general), though, and I'll keep it in mind.
Give it a shot... I think you may be suprised at what you find. How's the Kendo club going?

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Its going great. We ended up having the 90% dropout rate that we expected (started with 30 newbies, ended with 3). Most people couldn't take the conditioning.

Latest Discussions